don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    Guys, the classic gameplay demo makes me so happy I can't believe it.

Welcome back Sonic!

Mm, true, you do kinda roll slowly forward when you try to do this. But my point was that the end effect is that it basically kills your momentum and speed to try and spam it. It works like how you'd think a classic spindash mapped as a macro would work. It's NOT a modern spindash. Classic Sonic, it seems, needs to be still to do his spindash, as it should be.

2. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Chimpo's playing it now. It's classic only, and there's no results screen.

3. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    Hm ok. I still have to wait until I get mine finish as it's 55% so far.

4. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

I doubt it's classic only.
    There's some trickery going on. This is Sonic's birthday so it makes sense only classic sonic is playable.

When the game's files are hacked away I won't be surprised if they find the modern level locked away inside, because for me, 600MB is kinda sketch for one level.

20 minutes until XBL updates, come on Microsoft...

5. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

On a side note, playing Sonic Generations at 4 in the morning with my saturn controller... I had the strongest deja vu about what is literally one of my favorite memories of all time - the day I got my sega CD and Sonic CD for christmas. I remember tip toeing out to the living room while everyone was still asleep at like 5 in the morning and finding a Sega CD box in front of the tree with Sonic CD sitting on top of it. That wasn't there when I went to bed! And thus I sat patiently for 3 hours until everyone woke up before I could finally tear into it.

I dunno, something about the situation right now reminded me of that so heavily. This game is tugging at all the right heart strings for me. I love this game already.

6. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Just played through it about 5 times. Inject it into my veiiiiins.

There are a couple quirks that I'm sure people will start moaning about (mainly if you try to wrestle out of the scripted events it can go funny like being able to run backwards on that one spiral bride), but really this is such a huge improvement over Sonic 4, MILES better. None of that walking around a loop slowly or standing sideways up a ramp, if your not fast enough it will not let you around.

As for the instant-dash attack button. You have to pretty much hold it for it to work. If you just press the button quickly you won't blast off but rather you will get stuck in a little slow roll. This seems like a good way to stop people abusing the button and using it like an instant boost button, because it won't work unless you hold it for at least half a second.

7. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Having played with it- you don't need to be STILL; you use it when your momentum is dropping off, typically because of moving uphill, when the speed drop during the charge is minimized.

Like, say you're on this surface (sorry about the bad ASCII art):
    Code (Text):
    1.    / ___
    2. __/
    You can get in a "free" Spin Dash while moving up that slope; the speed drop is lower than it is if you're moving faster.

8. bolt7

bolt7

Yeah; bit of a crappy demo really. The lack of a results screen was kinda silly too. 600MB for about two minutes worth of gameplay. You can enable 3D though so, maybe the size is something to do with that? =X

I seem to always go in expecting too much with Sonic games. The controls feel too 'heavy' and clunky in my opinion, and I ended up glitching out on a slope whilst trying to spin attack (the bit where the camera zooms in to give a kinda 2.5 / 3D view.) The spin attack itself shoots you off far too fast and it takes forever to work your speed up from a standing position. Still looking forward to the modern stages but, I hate the fact they're saying "we're re-creating that genesis gameplay" all over again when it feels far from it.

Also yeah, it's classic only.

9. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Really the only parts of the game where I feel like you HAVE to do things the right way or else the game will fuck up is with regards to the springs... and yet even those don't feel automated. Not like dash pads or anything. It's more like a very strong feeling of "don't fight the momentum"

10. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    >slow
    >suddenly, my internet connection (link)

But man, I can't wait to try this. Too bad I have to wait like, a week. I only have a silver account on XBL.
    ... Or they could just release a PC demo.

11. Shade

Shade

Jumping is far too delayed, there's pretty much an entire second between your button press and the on-screen jump. Makes maintaining the upper path a bitch. Flying off of springs basically negates any forward momentum you had going into them, as well. The rest is groovy.

Disappointed at the omission of Modern Sonic's stage, and I personally think the game looks a little too busy; it's hard to maintain what's happening at the speeds you find yourself at with all the foreground and background foliage. Looks beautiful when you're standing still though!

The fact that this demo is labelled "Green Hill Demo", on top of being a timed release, makes me think we'll see a demo or two for other levels down the line.

12. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Why do people love to put words into Sonic team's mouth when Sonic Team themselves have said the exact opposite before? They said they're NOT trying to create the genesis gameplay exactly. This is their own thing, their own interpretation of the classic gameplay.

I swear, I've seen so many people do this, it's aggravating. It reminds me of when people would complain about how "sonic team lied about going back to Sonic's roots with Sonic Unleashed" when there were direct interviews where they said they weren't trying to go back to their roots.

13. bolt7

bolt7

That not what I heard Aaron Webber say during one of the E3 show floor runs. IIRC it was along the lines of "We're recreating those physics and that feeling of momentum from the Genesis games whilst Sonic 4 did something new." Will link you a video once I can access sound on my computer. :v:

But yeah. I'm not making shit up for the sake of complaining.

14. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    The logo is now showing up for me on the Demos box on Xbox Live, but when I select through to the actual menu, it just shows Duke. Maybe because I don't have Gold? Though I'm seriously considering getting it just for this demo.

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    [​IMG]

16. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    God damn I'm slow.

Nice time.

17. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Where is it on the Canada/US store? Or is it there yet?

18. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I do believe that's the current world record.

19. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Sonic Boom Winners can bite me. :colbert:

20. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    We created Hong Kong accounts and downloaded it from the Hong Kong store. :eng101:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.