Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh my, now that is starting to look damn good right there. Still gotta fix that eye shine though...

Once this model is ripped from the game people better proceed to put that model in every single Sonic game released since Sonic R. Just looking at it makes me wonder why the fuck did they bother changing it in the first place? It just looks right

2. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Pretty much this. This rendition of the character just seems to be the 'right' one, not only in the view of nostalgia, but just in aesthetics. The proportions are so much nicer, and it looks so much less awkward in its poses. To be honest, I hold that M.Sonic looks great in motion, but this model looks great both static and moving, which, really, kind of proves which one is better implemented.

While my personal preference would have been a model that channels more of Sonic CD's look (probably would be a classic+SA in-game-model hybrid), this just seems to work so well, I can't help but fall in love with it again.

3. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I like what's going on in the lower right corner of this scan. The new 3D model of Classic doing an old classic artwork pose.

Classic Sonic looks perfect to me now in that other screenshot. My main gripe (the butt-brow) was fixed, so I'm all good.

4. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    It's so pretty, I have no real problem with the new design, they are both cool, but I cant help but feel the old one is more friendly on the eye.

But that is a nice screen, would make a great desktop if it wasent a scan, it's making me feel all "1990's" X3

5. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Finally Sega got the sonic model very close to how id like to see it done.

I did a similar prototype head model back in 2006 for our fangame Sonic CD Remix, (on hold)
    the project was put on the back burners since we started doing a sonic xtreme fangame which is still being worked on.
    seeing what saga has done, kinda makes me want to finish the model.
    (were looking at the head here)
    [​IMG]

6. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

The eyebrow ridge is beautiful.

I used to buy this magazine.

News

20 Years of Sonic

Sega is going to celebrate Sonic's 20th birthday with a new game for the hedgehog

To comemorate the 20th birthday of Sega's mascot, the japanese producer invited Maxi Consolas editors to Barcelona to see and experiment the new Sonic Generations at first hand, a game that promises include everything that was done to Sonic in the last 20 years.

One of the biggest surprises was undoubtfully the new villain that Sega plans presenting in Generations. This character, who the producers haven't talked much about, is the responsible for every problem in Sonic's world and has much more capacity than Dr. Robotnik. This villain is responsible for destroying the space / time, allowing modern Sonic to meet classic Sonic.

In Sonic Generations, the players can play with the two versions of the hedgehog: Classic and Modern. The first uses the same ---new page--- gameplay system of the games launched for the Mega Drive. All of the action is in 2D and the background scenary display a 3D perspective. Modern Sonic uses the same gameplay system presented in Unleashed and other recent games, in a complete 3D environment. In both cases, Sonic's speed is well represented.

For greeks and trojans (I.e. to please both sides)
    According to the producing team, in the last 20(?) years there have been created Sonic fans due to various means, from the games or from the TV series, like Sonic X. With this game, and the two distinct game mechanics, Sonic Team expects to create a title with a philosophy capable of embracing all of the fans of the character.

The wish of joining the last 20 years of Sonic in just one game doesn't only stop at gameplay. The levels will be taken from every game launched until now and all the sceneries will be available in 2D (Classic Sonic) and 3D (Modern Sonic). This means the fans can experiment the most iconic areas from games like Colours and Unleashed in 2D, and with the same gameplay of the Mega Drive versions. Of course that the inverse is also applied.

In the presentation event, we had the opportunity of experimenting both versions of Green Hill and the area had a great work level, in both gameplays, with alternative paths.

Sonic Generations will reach the markets in 2011, for the Xbox 360 and PS3.

CAPTION
    CLASSIC GAMEPLAY Every level with Classic Sonic run in a 2D environment with 3D scenary depth. The control system is practically the same as the one implemented for the launch of the first Mega Drive title, in 1991.

TAKASHI IIZUKA
    PRODUCER

Takashi Iizuka explained to Maxi Consolas how the idea of Sonic Generations was born and how the production team structure changed in the past.

"Three years ago, we started thinking in what we could do in 2011 to celebrate Sonic's birthday. At that time, we hadn't organised the team that would work in Sonic Generations yet, but it was then that we started brainstorming in what to do for the birthday. Until the creation of Sonic Unleashed, we had the teams split into projects, even within Sonic Team. Now, the company's structure is more flexible and all of us work in the same Sonic games. We have a bigger fusion of ideas and people, instead of several groupings inside of one team."

7. Ehm... And why couldn't just Robotnik do this with the Chaos Emeralds? It seems like something he would manage.

8. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    The villain will turn out to be Eggman in the end, you all know it :P

9. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    This better be good, Sega. I've always wanted to see them attempt another villain that is actually worth our time and isn't a god of destruction without personality or goal besides destroying crap.

Also, if Robotnik is playing second fiddle in this game for the role of villain, this gives him room to pull a backwards version of every game from SA-SU and trump the main villain to become the final boss. May or may not happen, but I got my fingers crossed in hope.

10. Yeah, while I did like Chaos in Sonic Adventure, it has really gotten stale by now. Haven't finished Colours yet though so I don't know what happens there.

11. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    I remember Sonic team stating that there was a new enemy in an interview for Sonic Heros before it came out.
    Turned out that the new enemy was Metal Sonic with a new form,

Perhaps, this will end up being something similar with Generations revamping a current enemy character,
    also I wonder if time stones will be used in this game?

12. Metal Sonic pretty much was a new villain though, he didn't behave or even looked like the original version of himself. And I'm not even talking about Metal Madness/Overlord...

13. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    he reverted back to the classic form at the end though.

14. Yeah that always bothered me. Why did that happen?

15. serpx

serpx

I actually loved Metal Sonic's new design, I thought it was 1) badass, and 2) needed. Though, I'm also a retro-kind of guy moreso than anything, so it doesn't bother me that he's at his classic form again. I was quite put off when he "transformed." The cinematic sequence was cool, but I'd rather fight him as-is.

16. Indigo Rush

Indigo Rush

Wait a tick.

This guy.

Is responsible for the Monsters of the Week???

LET ME AT HIM. LEMMEATIMMMMM.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    If the villain is Mighty that would just be so awesome.

18. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Is he responsible for destroying physics in Sonic 4 too?

Anyway, I think it would be baddass to have Metal Sonic as the main villain of this game...

19. Yeah don't get me wrong. I did really like the design he had in Heroes, but he felt like a new character and Overlord/Madness was terrible. Also, I wouldn't mind him transforming into classic Metal if they just bothered explaining it what so ever.

20. serpx

serpx

Metal Sonic? Mighty? Psh, there should only be one "new" introduced villian character:

[​IMG]

Gawd, where are you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.