don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    I vote C1, C3, D1, or D3. I don't really like all of the extra zeros in the collums E+ or rows 2 and 4 and the rings being offset makes it more like the Genesis games (yeah, yeah, yeah).

2. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Here's my attempt at the Super Sonic icon

[​IMG][​IMG]

I know that lightest yellow shade isn't possible so here it is again without it.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Edit: I made the top spike a bit longer, but then it didn't blend well with the ring so I used the darker ring for this one.

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Zycor

Zycor

Unlike Sonic, I don't chuckle. Member
    Beats me.
    Don't know if it's been mentioned or not, but Tails accelerates very quickly against the top of the screen when flying. I'm pretty sure that's a glitch. If not then ignore this.

4. Iceguy

Iceguy

グー! Member
    Hell. It's in my head.
    Internal system recovery
    I just noticed this little bug; playing as Tails, I jumped to break an invincibility monitor and switched to Sonic in mid-air. Sonic landed on the ground, Tails broke the invincibility monitor, however, the stars are missing and the shields dissapeared (well, Tails was the only one with a shield). The music is playing though, and they're actually invincible, too. The shield returned after the invincibility wore off, so it's nothing serious. Just thought I'd point it out.

5. dsrb

dsrb

I think you're probably right, although the front-facing ones aren't too bad.
    Great point also.

As for Super Sonic, I can see where it would get confusing. For now, it wouldn't be a huge loss to just do a palette-swap; as you said, some of Sonic's and all of the other two's Super forms are just that.

I'd try to help more constructively if I were any good with teh pixels! Good luck anyway, though.

6. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    This one, I'd say. Looks awesome and a great interpertation. Minus the centiseconds (since I don't know how to do them) I have similar going on with the Sonic Adventure 2 styled HUD on my Sonic 1 hack, and it just adds to the authenticity of the what the game actually is, I think.
    In terms of round icons, I like the diagonal heads best with black background.

7. Adrian Tepez

Adrian Tepez

I did a search and didn't find a post on this. I encountered a glitch at the ARZ boss.

[​IMG]

I was spin dashing into him from the columns. Somehow, after flying over from the right to the left, Tails went into the teetering animation even while in the middle of the column. Sonic or Knuckles landed the final hit, and I stood up there. I was able to run left/right (I didn't try jumping).

[​IMG]

You might also notice that Kega says MegaDrive at the top (I live in the U.S.). I have the region set to Japan because I like using the name "Miles" when I play S3K (there's no code that I'm aware of). However, it still says "Tails got through act #" instead of Miles. Perhaps you can add that little detail in? The same text style is used in S3K:

[​IMG]

8. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    I will start with another query, to give it visibility; then I will reply to a few posts.

As I already announced, the next version has fully functional 6-button controller support (which came while I was adding the multitap support). At the moment, the extra buttons (X, Y, Z, mode) are ignored -- but I was thinking of having them do something, the "worst" being to map X -> A, Y -> B, Z -> C, Mode -> start. But I also thought that maybe X could rotate the players in the inverse direction from A, and maybe find other uses for the other buttons. For instance, they could be used to activate super transformation, allowing Sonic to turn with a shield (and maybe also allowing Sonic to turn with a shield by pressing B+C not to penalize those without 6-button controllers). Any more ideas?

This is a behavior copied from S3&K. Tails can't fly upwards when his Y coordinate is less than min camera Y + 16 pixels; in this case, his vertical speed, if upward, is set to zero. As a consequence, he doesn't suffer from drag, and can accelerate much faster. This was done by the S3&K devs (badly, in my opinion) to prevent Tails from going above the top of the screen; but if you check how they did it for Knuckles' glide (which halves Knuckles' horizontal and potential speed each frame he stays under the same conditions) you will see they could have done it better.

I can't reproduce it on my local version, which means I probably fixed it already. It isn't on my changelog, which means I probably fixed it while I was doing something else -- most likely the extra data/extra objects/function vtable.

Ah, yes: that bug. It also happens in the original S2 (and in any hacks that use the same code, such as Robotnik's Revenge, S2 Amy, and others). It has to do with the pillar objects being destroyed when the boss is killed: they are deleted by the boss object (to be replaced with the lowering pillars), which causes them to not properly clear the flag that marks the character as being standing on an object.

From then on, it gets worse: since there is no discernible edge on which the character is standing, the game decides he is at the edge of an object and the character starts his balancing animation whenever you stand still. If you jump, you will see that you can fall to the ground; you will interact strangely with the it, though -- you get the ground angle from wherever you hit the ground and keep it until you jump and hit the ground again.
    To activate the glitch (which is called the "antigravity glitch" in TAS circles) in this case, the character in question must be standing on a pillar and another character must land the final hit on the boss. To cancel it, just jump into another object (in this case, the only one available is the capsule).

Edit: I will go through the boss code and see if I can figure out what exactly causes it and how to fix it.

That is an oversight of mine; in most of the other cases, the name was removed (such as the options menu and the lives counter), but it survived in this instance. I will need to check the Special Stage HUD now too.

9. dsrb

dsrb

Sounds good, especially the reversed rotation! The next version will be quite an upgrade with all these new features. :)

Are you thinking of changing this (if possible)?

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Same feelings here. They don't add any information, and they just look like they belong in a debug mode or something.

11. flamewing

flamewing

France
    It is possible to change it, yes; I don't think I will be changing it, though (but I may change my mind yet).

12. Drex

Drex

About the extra buttons I think you could map the remaining two to the secondary characters like press Y for Tails to jump and be able to control him while he retains his secondary character properties. this could be really cheap on bosses though.

Btw, is my super sonic icon that ugly or did it suffer from "last post on the page" syndrom?

13. dsrb

dsrb

Do you mean the button would just make them jump, or would you be able to move them normally, too? Anyway, I'm personally not very fond of the idea. I thought the idea of Heroes was to use the character-switching system strategically; allowing control of more than one character at a time somewhat defeats the point.

14. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Sorry, I forgot to comment about it; it looks quite good actually, and I am preferring it to the one I had made (I am also preferring your Sonic and Tails icons over mine). I also tested it (Super Sonic) with several borders:
    [​IMG]
    I must say that the gold with (nearly-black) "shadow"outline looks great, but the silver border also looks good.

Edit: forgot this: I kind of agree with dsrb about allowing it to control the other players. At most, I might allow it to cause Tails to fly or Knuckles to climb/glide (while still being CPU-controlled), but I would prefer other options. One possibility I thought was to force re-spawning if the character is off-screen (Y for player 2, Z for player 3; maybe allowing A+B=X and A+C=Y for those without six-button controllers).

15. Drex

Drex

Yeah the idea was pretty much the first thing that came to my mind, and your points are all very valid.

I like the respawning idea, but it should be kept to one button to respswn both characters. Even if it means having an unused button I don't see any reason to separate them.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...That's complicating stuff that should be done automatically, how about just making the other characters perform their special move when double-tapping the jump button? It works nicely for the few hacks that allow for it.

17. dsrb

dsrb

A recall function is a decent idea, since characters who have been lost aren't accessible until they return. To accompany this, perhaps you could tie the button in with some visual way to identify characters who are currently ‘switchable’ (e.g. a different coloured outline around their life icon)? I don't know where I would stand on the issue of being able to recall them separately vs. together.

Having said all of that… Couldn't the recall just be automatic; that is, when the player presses the button corresponding to that character, they quickly drop in if they were out-of-bounds? I can think of few non-cosmetic reasons to recall a character whom one isn't about to switch to, but I'm probably just being unenlightened here. ;)

18. Drex

Drex

But what would be the use of that when you can already switch to that character to use their moves. Do you have an example of a situation where it would be useful.

You know when I first saw this picture I assumed he was planing to do that anyway.

[​IMG]

Notice how the circles to the right look like grayed out versions of the ones on the left.

I don't know what you mean by automatic. Do you want to have them drop into place rather than appear at the top of the sceen floating down like normal. If so then I agree. I would like it to function like it does in Chaotix (function not graphicaly) where they pop into place right next to the lead character when called. It's also good for if there is ever a situation where a secondary character is trapped behind a wall on screen. Just recall them back into place.

19. dsrb

dsrb

What I meant was: recall may not be necessary if the inability to switch to out-of-bounds characters is eliminated by altering the switching mechanism to automatically bring them back to the player's location. That is, if you were playing as Sonic and wanted to switch to Tails, but the latter was out of range (and thus impossible to assume control of, under the current system), you'd press the button and Tails would quickly reappear and become the focal character.

I don't know how much sense this makes, though… It could even be that retaining the delay while a character reappears is a useful restriction, and thus no recall may be preferable. I should probably stop my ineffectual attempts to think about this!

20. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Just a thought; if you decide to have the extra zeroes, could you use the regular sprite and the S/H mode of the Mega Drive? I've rarely seen it take advantage in hacks, if at all. The same could work for 'out of bounds' characters' life icons, such as the autoroll parts in CNZ or when they've died and you're still underwater.