don't click here

S3&K Collection (PC) HQ music hack [upd v1.3]

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by angryzor, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Peruant

Peruant

Just dropping in through gaps Member
    I was about to suggest that. Usually when the error occurs, it might be missing those files. I didn't happen to me since I had installed it with Visual Studio a while back.

And guys, check your RUNSONIC file and go to Options. Chances are you might have "No BGM" selected.

2. neonsynth

neonsynth

Previously 'SonicVaan' Member
    Germany, Stammbach
    gaming and music production
    Yay, got it to work. :3

So, does anyone mind to list all the music IDs please? :V

3. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Here's most of them, from my ini file. The others shouldn't be too hard to figure out, if you want to make an updated list.

0=Title Screen (S3)
    1=Angel Island 1
    2=Angel Island 2
    3=Hydrocity 1
    4=Hydrocity 2
    5=Marble Garden 1
    6=Marble Garden 2
    7=Carnival Night 1
    8=Carnival Night 2
    9=Flying Battery 1
    10=Flying Battery 2
    11=Ice Cap 1
    12=Ice Cap 2
    13=Launch Base 1
    14=Launch Base 2
    15=Mushroom Hill 1
    16=Mushroom Hill 2
    17=Sandopolis 1
    18=Sandopolis 2
    19=Lava Reef 1
    20=Lava Reef 2
    21=Sky Sanctuary
    22=Death Egg 1
    23=Death Egg 2
    24=Midboss
    25=Boss
    26=Doomsday
    28=Special Stage
    30=Gumball Machine
    32=Azure Lake
    33=Balloon Park
    34=Desert Palace
    35=Chrome Gadget
    36=Endless Mine
    37=Game Over
    39=Round Clear
    43=Competition
    45=Data Select
    46=Final Boss
    50=Knuckles (S3K)
    51=Title Screen (S3K)
    53=Invincible

4. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Okay, I've noticed something odd.

If I replace the default midi extra life sound (Sonic 3 & Knuckles.) with my own .mp3, and then run the game, whenever I get an extra life, the .mp3 loops over and over as if it is a music track, and not a sound effect. It doesn't stop looping until I die, restart the game, something triggers a music change (Like a boss battle.), etcetera. I've also noticed this happen with other replaced sound effects, such as the act clear sound effect.

5. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
  6. angryzor

angryzor

S&KC HQ Music
    I know, I was just fixing it :)

I have made a new build that has the runtime libraries linked into the MIDIOUT.dll itself, so these kinds of problems are avoided. Download the new version (the old one is bugged anyway).

7. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Many thanks, repeating problems now fixed! I like the way you've set up looping and intro customisation with version 1.1, too.

Well done once again for this, you've got a really magnificent tool here. ;)

8. angryzor

angryzor

S&KC HQ Music
    Thanks! :v:
    Should you find any more problems, don't hesitate to tell.

By the way, if anyone is interested in the source code for this, I feel confident that it doesn't look too much like a mess right now so tell me and I'll post it.

9. Epic win! I love your laundry list of formats.

10. Bareirito

Bareirito

Argentina
    Sonic - Mystery of the Chaos Emeralds
    Did you installed this program in the 'GAME' folder? Because, I didn't and that's why it didn't work even with the dlls installed, in my particular case. :P

Also this tool is kick ass, but there's another glitch, the same with the 1up jingle but also with the Round Clear one.

Fix this little things and this will be really entertaining.

11. Peruant

Peruant

Did you try putting the line "intro_[whatever track number Round Clear is].mp3" in the .ini file? I have no problems with it.

12. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Does this support looping OGGs, as are supported by the vgmstream plugin for winamp and mostly only used in RPG Maker?

13. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Everything works now, thanks. I think the game should have had a custom MP3 function when it was created, but then again this was done in 1997 and some things weren't available at that time, but at least the feature is available now.

That being said, does anyone know more about SonMP3? I don't think S2 and S3K support is available right now, but at least a similar function has been added to the PC port.

14. Peruant

Peruant

I'm pretty sure it supports general looping and OGGs as the first post mentioned.

Last time I checked Sonic 1 was almost done, S2 was a bit less than halfway and everything else was not worked on yet.

15. Bareirito

Bareirito

Argentina
    Sonic - Mystery of the Chaos Emeralds
    Now everything works perfect and it doesn't loop anymore. Thank you so much Peruant for your help! :)

If anybody encounters this bug, do what Peruant suggested and it will work 10 out of 10.

16. Peruant

Peruant

Nah no problem. I think angryzor mentioned it in his notes. But yeah, angryzor, you might want to clarify that intro thing a bit more in the readme.

Yo I was wondering did anyone have problems with changing the Invinicible music? It didn't work for me for some reason.

17. angryzor

angryzor

S&KC HQ Music
    I'll try to write an adapter for vgmstream, so that every format supported by vgmstream can be played.
    [EDIT] And that has been done now.

Mmmh ok, I'll see what I can do to clarify it more...

Only Sonic 3 plays a separate song (No. 42) for invincibility. S&K and S3&K use the Super Sonic tune (No. 53).

18. Peruant

Peruant

Got 42 working but 53 isn't changing.

19. IIRC the number you're looking for is 52, not 53.

EDIT: Derp, dead wrong.

20. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Support for ADX? This is a win.