don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    This reminds me why I hate AT&T.

2. DinnerSonic

DinnerSonic

Never Posting Since 2004! Member
    Okay, okay, stop me if this is something known, but... you know that HEXAeco company from the Grand Metropolis and Power Plant stages in Sonic Heroes?
    [​IMG]

Yeah, that's the one. Guess Sonic's world's been going green before green went popular, huh? Anyway, what's that little text say anyway? I swear it looks upside down...

[​IMG]

<!--QuoteBegin-Billboard+ actual location info dobule checked from Wikipedia--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Billboard @ actual location info dobule checked from Wikipedia)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->SONIC TEAM U.S.A.
    650 TOWNSEND STREET, SUITE 650
    SANFRANCISCO, CA 94103-4908[/QUOTE]
    Oh.

3. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Out of curiosity, I've been trying to accomplish this for years.

[​IMG]

I always wondered what happened if you time-traveled at the exact moment you went past the GOAL sign in Sonic CD. Said sign cancels the time-traveling process, meaning you can't. However, if you touch it at the EXACT moment you're supposed to time-travel, the music stops (and so does the scrolling), Sonic and the GOAL sign become invisible. Here I kept on running (despite the locked scrolling) and heard the end-of-level signpost sound, and the score tally appeared as usual, hence the screen.

Not the most interesting thing, but I thought I wouldn't be the only one curious.

For the record, finishing at the same time as Metal Sonic in Stardust Speedway 3 will actually warp you BACK behind the barrier and you'll lose. I don't have a screen of that.

4. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Someone should do a texture mod for their new address. :v:

5. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    I can verify that, it happened to me a few weeks back. Needless to say, I was pretty pissed off.

6. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    I'll do that this weekend, then. :colbert:

7. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.

:psyduck:

Can someone try to find that?

*EDIT* I found the flash ads, so far I can't find the game, found them in TSSZ *EDIT*
    *EDIT2* Goddamnit, hotlinking protection? *EDIT2*

8. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

Using the old "modification of bytes at offsets 12288, 12289 in a savestate to get to another level" technique in Sonic 2 BETA 4, I found the following funny:

Use a savestate of Hidden Palace... debug enabled of course. Go to offsets 12288, 12289, which as many people remember is the level and act number that the player is currently on [er... supposed to be once you futz with it]. Regardless of which level you enter for the first byte, if that 2nd byte is a 01 [indicative of act 2] and you go to the end of Hidden Palace [how you get debug object placement mode enabled regardless], the boss will load - if you have those bytes changed to indicate CPZ act 2, the CPZ2 boss will load, CNZ2's will load if that zone / act 2 combo is set, and so on. Defeat the boss and try to move to the right, or fall under the "boss area," and of course you trigger an illegal instruction.

[EDIT: YES, EVEN DEATH EGG'S METAL SONIC loads when the bytes are changed to Death Egg's slot]

Funny [? Not really?] thing is, the Robotnik bosses load properly, aside from palette, for the most part.]

Actually, that is not all - different levels can produce odd results.

Enter 0A for the first byte, the empty slot that belonged to Wood at one point, and the badnicks move upside down, though the collisions are no less fucked up than they are already. [and yes, there are areas where the badnicks can move normally in the Beta 4 version of the HPZ garbldygook] Enter 01 for the first byte, Sonic is stuck in his Wing Fortress flying pose, forcefully being pushed to the left.

9. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    About a year ago, Yuzo Koshiro EarlyCollection 2nd+ came out. It had some music from the Master System version of Sonic 1. The album came with a liner note for the tracks.

1991???????(???????????????)???
    ????, ?????????????-??BGM????????????????????BGM???
    ??????????, ???????????????????????????
    ???????
    ??????????????????????????

I'm not sure if I got every character right, but it looks okay to me. I took it from the booklet scans from VGMDB's page for the album.

Just posting this here in case anyone wanted to figure out what it said.

10. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    In 1991, the Game Gear version (Master System overseas as well) was in development.
    I was, at that time, delegated to action game BGMs. The original Mega Drive version, that BGM—damn.
    It has been used, so what's been recorded here is only taking the original Game Gear version.
    Composed with care to preserve the original sense. [lit. "worldview"]

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]
    what's that you say? A blue character with red shoes with a "spin attack" ability? and whose primary goal is to collect rings?

Izzy's Quest for the Olympic Rings, from 1995. Because it's fun to play games featuring forgettable Olympic mascots from fifteen years ago. The game itself is just a bog-standard post-Sonic 2D platformer. "Post-Sonic" suggesting that the gameplay is "faster" than it needs to be, a bit like Bubsy the Bobcat.

I mean I suppose you can argue that most platformers after 1991 have a bit of "Sonic" in them but not all of them decide to use characters with practically the same colour scheme.

12. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I think PC2 pointed this out to me some time ago, but never saw it mentioned before:
    <!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjVAziPZVmo#t=7m42s&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjVAziPZVmo#t=7m42s&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2-->
    The whole bit from 7:42 to 8:13 is a reference (or tribute) to bits of a scene from Bimbos Imitation:

4:18 to 5:35

Is this the most obscure thing Sonic has referenced to?

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

There's currently a Coco-Pops advert on TV that uses the sound effect from when you jump into a giant ring. Anyone else notice it? There was also a recycling ad a few years ago that 'recycled' several other Sonic sounds.

14. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US
    Did anybody else notice this? Its not mentioned on the info page and I was wondering if this is the first incarnation/concept of the Death Egg.

Now this a commercial for Sonic the Hedgehog 1 back for 1991 I believe, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vH53JFmeHY

At the 00:19 mark, there is a scene in which Sonic rides a spaceship to something that seems to be the first incarnation of the Death Egg.

[​IMG]

If the Death Egg was planned to appear from the very beginning, perhaps the other animated scenes in this commercial were concepts as well? For Example, an earlier scene shows a desert area that resembles Dust hill zone.

[​IMG]

It could be this or maybe some inspiration for sonic 2 was taken from this commercial?

15. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Yeah, I noticed it. It irritated me haha. I was going to post about it, but couldn't find a video of the advert. =P

16. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.

Sound effect is at 0:33 when the bar reading "FIBRE" fills up. I always hated the design of Coco. A monkey with a dog's nose? Shyeah. + - Says he, posting on a forum based on the videogames of a hedgehog who is blue.  

17. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Speaking of Sonic sound effects:

Does that contain a slightly-modified spring sound-effect or just a close soundalike?

18. Otama Sanshiro

Otama Sanshiro

~Phantom of Blue~ Member
  19. Bradley

Bradley

The Radioactive Dinosaur Member
    Scenic Middle of Nowhere, Ohio
    The Mega Man 18-2 Project Soundtrack
    ^

Ugh, another M&S game, I thought it was bad when the Winter one came out, but now there's going to be a third?