don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Classic Release thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Hez, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Tichmall

Tichmall

J.League PK Party, a "penalty kick" minigame.
    Speaking of chaos control, sometimes it teleports Shadow, and sometimes it just makes him do an airdash.

2. Deef

Deef

Hmm, the secrets for 45 and 75 challenges won't unlock for me.

3. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I'm going to begin working on REV01, if you have any game breaking glitches/weren't credited for something let me know now or forever hold your peace.

Also, thanks for hacking my game fucks! I figured this was inevitable even if I encrypted the fuck out of it =P

On a serious note, This feedback is great if I ever so happened to want to make a sequal. Good feedback

4. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    You can skip whole Acts through a couple of the Special Stages, most easily on the first one.

5. Tichmall

Tichmall

Hez, you did your game with MMF2 right ? I use it too, and tried to compile my game with encrypted files and the ini is directly placed in the executable, so it can't be hacked (well, not that easily I guess). It wouldn't work for you ?

6. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Every time I do this, I get Hez or the "every character".

7. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    unfortunately you have to understand how old the game is. I understand everyone thinks I can magically switch to another save method, but I can't without extensive reworking. I started the game when INI's were prodominate. I know there are far better ways, but to do so I would have to change the way the game saves in every scenario. Including challenges, ghosts, time trials, etc. It would have delayed the game for another 6 months.

EDIT: besides, you can't tell me you don't like finding weird shit with hacking

8. Tichmall

Tichmall

Oh, okay.
    But what is weird is that I also use INI files for my data saving method. It's just that I have the option to "hide" the INI file in the executable when I compile the game, or leave it visible in the folder like you did.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Nope it's definitely a blast. Tell me how to play as Metal Sonic though Hez

10. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Majorly pissed off. I just beat the boss of Luster Lake, went to hit the capsule, only to hear the sign post noise, and Knuckles stopped moving. The timer stopped and the ending never came, so I had to shut off and now I'm back on Act 1. So a hidden sign post is definitely in your top things to remove, Hez. :argh:

Good game though, really enjoyed my past hour. I'm playing as Knuckles, as I got to Luster Lake being Sonic and it never saved. Knuckles is much easier to play as, almost as though the game's level design was built for him in mind.

11. TehKablam

TehKablam

Enjoys "cheesy 'Retro' ambiance"
    New York
    Porting XCubed's Sonic 4 proposal to the PC version of Sonic 4 Episode 2
    Overall, this is a really great game you made. The best part was the special and bonus stages; they were the most unique I ever saw. In terms of glitches, I'm just glad that the "touch the bottom of a moving platform death" was emitted. But, there was one time where I got the first Emerald as Knux in Hazel Hills 1 and the program shut down. An error message popped up. I still don't know what happened, but this is golden.

12. TehKablam

TehKablam

Enjoys "cheesy 'Retro' ambiance"
    New York
    Porting XCubed's Sonic 4 proposal to the PC version of Sonic 4 Episode 2
    I just tried to do this, and the EXE crashed on me.

13. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    you may be using the newer INI2 file.

14. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Hez, could you, please, fix the fucking lag in Revision 01? You should ask Damizean. He knows how to eliminate the framerate issue; he did so for the Sonic Gemini fangame.

15. Zenor

Zenor

flip the chessboard over Member
    Sonic Gemini is a fangame made in Game Maker. And when it comes to framerate issues and MMF2, there isn't much you can do about that other than upgrading your computer, sadly.

Oh, sure. Now that you mention it, remember the special stage Sonic sprite?

16. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Oh, is i7-875K 2.93GHz 8MB RAM not enough? My bad.

17. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Haha! The only explanation I can think of for MMF2 running that slow on modern systems is that perhaps the software rendering routines are doing something stupid like reading pixels from video memory for stuff like ink effects etc. Going from Video memory to System memory is one of the few things that still brings a frame rate to its knees, since the pipeline is designed to go the other way.

18. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    It'll be fixed in REV01. It happened to create itself with one of my last minute fixes. It's a ring collecting issue. I know exactly what it is.

19. Mr. Ksoft

Mr. Ksoft

I really don't see how lag is so common here. You really need an ancient relic of a machine to get to that point, from my experience.
    For the record, it runs fine (with mild frameskipping) on the 9-year-old garbage laptop I'm stuck using half the time now. 2.0Ghz Pentium 4, Intel 845GL integrated graphics, Win2K and... 128MB RAM. I tried it for shits and giggles and was surprised to find that it actually works. In a 320x240 window it is pretty smooth-- frameskipping really kicks in when underwater due to the color blending, but that's to be expected-- still playable though. Fullscreen is iffy, though... laptop only goes fullscreen at 640x480 (won't scale up 320x240 to it) so it gets a little more laggy then.

20. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    This is either misleading or snake oil. Modern operating systems (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, and others) lock executable files while they're in use due to demand paging. (That is, only pages that are in use are read into memory.) If you try to edit an executable on any system while it's in use, you'll get a permission denied error.