don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Classic Release thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Hez, Mar 18, 2011.

1. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    <!--quoteo(post=572015:date=Mar 24 2011, 02:03 AM:name=Endri)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Endri @ Mar 24 2011, 02:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=572015">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=572007:date=Mar 23 2011, 10:48 PM:name=Zenor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zenor @ Mar 23 2011, 10:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=572007">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=571979:date=Mar 23 2011, 07:50 PM:name=Endri)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Endri @ Mar 23 2011, 07:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=571979">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hez, could you, please, fix the fucking lag in Revision 01? You should ask Damizean. He knows how to eliminate the framerate issue; he did so for the Sonic Gemini fangame.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Sonic Gemini is a fangame made in Game Maker. And when it comes to framerate issues and MMF2, there isn't much you can do about that other than upgrading your computer, sadly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Oh, is [Intel Core] i7-875K 2.93GHz 8 [GB] RAM not enough? My bad.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Dude. My laptop's specs are: Celeron 1.86GHZ [single core] and 900MB RAM. Four times weaker than your computer in terms of processor cores/clock speed (approx) and eight times weaker in RAM and I can run Sonic Classic at full framerate with zero lag. You have <a href="http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=48499" target="_blank">Intel's latest high-end quad core processor</a> for Christ's sake. Did you read my post on performance issues? Run Classic using the full screen option embedded in the in-game options menu. Maximising the window = automatic lag.

If my low-end circa 2005 laptop can run Classic with zero lag and no slowdown whatsoever regardless of the level then yours should fly. You must be just maximising the window. You have to fiddle with the resolution settings too (prior to toggling full screen in the in-game options menu) to settle on something playable. Again I have a shit computer and experience zero lag. Give it a shot and post your results.

PS. Collecting rings had no effect on performance either yet did affect peformance when I was maximising the window.

2. Zenor

Zenor

flip the chessboard over Member
    <!--quoteo(post=572015:date=Mar 23 2011, 10:03 PM:name=Endri)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Endri @ Mar 23 2011, 10:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=572015">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=572007:date=Mar 23 2011, 10:48 PM:name=Zenor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zenor @ Mar 23 2011, 10:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=572007">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=571979:date=Mar 23 2011, 07:50 PM:name=Endri)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Endri @ Mar 23 2011, 07:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=571979">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hez, could you, please, fix the fucking lag in Revision 01? You should ask Damizean. He knows how to eliminate the framerate issue; he did so for the Sonic Gemini fangame.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Sonic Gemini is a fangame made in Game Maker. And when it comes to framerate issues and MMF2, there isn't much you can do about that other than upgrading your computer, sadly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Oh, is i7-875K 2.93GHz 8MB RAM not enough? My bad.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I have an i5-650 3.20GHz and just 4GB of RAM and it runs smooth as silk. I'd say it's a problem on yours and the others' ends.

If upgrading is not the issue here and it runs better on lower specs, then we're dealing with a rather mysterious problem, don't you think so?

3. Mr. Ksoft

Mr. Ksoft

It's not always the case that higher specs equals lower performance though-- my gaming rig (i7-930 2.8ghz, 6GB DDR3, Radeon 5870) plays it silky smooth as well. Doesn't matter if I'm using full screen, or a maximized window, or whatever. It just works.

Seems like certain hardware configurations bottleneck MMF programs or something.

4. Deef

Deef

@Endri
    Did you download the slightly updated version from Chimpo's mirror? I believe it was noted that that made all the difference.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Two things. I'm not credited for the Metal Sonic sprites. Also pressing N or B (I forget) disables the HUD and replaces the TIME letters on the HUD with the Sonic 2 TIME letters

6. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    <!--quoteo(post=572039:date=Mar 23 2011, 09:59 PM:name=Dark Sonic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dark Sonic @ Mar 23 2011, 09:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=572039">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Two things. I'm not credited for the Metal Sonic sprites. Also pressing N or B (I forget) disables the HUD and replaces the TIME letters on the HUD with the Sonic 2 TIME letters<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It will be noted.

7. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    <!--quoteo(post=572036:date=Mar 23 2011, 11:52 PM:name=Deef)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deef @ Mar 23 2011, 11:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=572036">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@Endri
    Did you download the slightly updated version from Chimpo's mirror? I believe it was noted that that made all the difference.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Yes. And nothing changed at all.

Also, I'm running this game in 320x240, Fullscreen mode. The game becomes, in fact, slower when run at fullscreen. I should've worded correctly that the problem is not actually lag, instead, it is frameskipping. The game does lag underwater and in the second zone, though.

Still, the demo released about a year ago or so runs smoothly at 60fps. I don't belive there's nothing wrong on my end. The only thing wrong I could notice, however, is that this game forces 16bits color mode when in fullscreen. I don't know if this have any implications with the issue at hand.

It's like if MMF, as if interpreted script language wasn't slow enough, executes everything in a single thread, from logic cycles to sound and graphic rendering, rellying in CPU resources all the time.

But Hez already said there's a legitimate reason behind the issue, so let's way for the fix and see.

<!--quoteo(post=572028:date=Mar 23 2011, 11:26 PM:name=360)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (360 @ Mar 23 2011, 11:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=572028">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dude. My laptop's specs are: Celeron 1.86GHZ [single core] and 900MB RAM. Four times weaker than your computer in terms of processor cores/clock speed (approx) and eight times weaker in RAM and I can run Sonic Classic at full framerate with zero lag. You have <a href="http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=48499" target="_blank">Intel's latest high-end quad core processor</a> for Christ's sake.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I have no access to this kind of bewitchment. How do you do this black magic?

8. vexer

vexer

I don't know why some people have frame rate issues. The game runs perfectly fine on my really old ultra slow computer. The problem I'm having is it seems to randomly freeze and I have to restart my computer. I am not sure if anyone else has had this problem, it's probably just my computer.

9. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    Just a quick note: on my dual-monitor setup, enabling fullscreen works just fine... except for one detail. A minor quibble really. When I exit the game, my secondary monitor is relocated to "above" my primary monitor. I don't know if that's a limitation of the environment or a problem with windows or what.
    Just thought I'd mention it so nobody else ends up getting confused as to why they can't seem to interact with their second display. Also, if you happen to know why it does this, that'd be cool too, but it's not a terribly big deal at any rate.

Quick edit:
    Just realized. When in fullscreen mode on windows 7 64-bit, pressing "F2" causes the game to reset. This is expected - it's the same as pressing File > New in the menu. What happens next, however, is a bug. It runs through the screens prior to the title screen, then loads the title screen. No music plays and while the user interface still works (Control + Y brings up the joypad menu, F2 resets), the title screen cannot be navigated to start the game. This does not happen when not in fullscreen.

10. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    <!--quoteo(post=572015:date=Mar 24 2011, 03:03 AM:name=Endri)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Endri @ Mar 24 2011, 03:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=572015">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh, is i7-875K 2.93GHz 8MB RAM not enough? My bad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->That's a very low amount of RAM.

11. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    <!--quoteo(post=572175:date=Mar 24 2011, 11:56 AM:name=nineko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nineko @ Mar 24 2011, 11:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=572175">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=572015:date=Mar 24 2011, 03:03 AM:name=Endri)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Endri @ Mar 24 2011, 03:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=572015">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh, is i7-875K 2.93GHz 8MB RAM not enough? My bad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->That's a very low amount of RAM.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Haha, typo. :v:

It should be noted, however, that this specs are not mine, they are the (standart?) setup for the Mechanical Engineering Degree students in the college I occasionally bear services to. My rig is much simplier and older. But Sonic Classic runs equally in both configurations. Also, this is not, like, the lastest technology in multicore proccessors as you people are claiming. This is last year's technology in the very least.

12. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

Had my first real problem today. Was going through a few of the challenges, and on Hazel Hills Act 2's Giant Badnik one, it had a few music issues (main level theme didn't play at all throughout the level, and the drowning music kept going even after I exited the water), but when I got to the Badnik itself, the game became incredibly slow and choppy (first time I've had lag in the game at all) and once the Badnik was destroyed, the level didn't end, so I was just trapped in that little area. Was rather frustrating.

Other than that, everything's seemed to work fine, other than there sometimes being a slight pause when invincibility ends, presumably loading the music or something similar.

13. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Game is unplayable for me. Game lags severely whenever a ring is collected causeing the sparkle effect. Runs fine up until then. But I pretty much cant play the entire game with massive lag whenever I get a ring...

EDIT: Just seen Hez's post back a page... Guess I'll have to wait til the next version.

14. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Runs fine for me, and I'm enjoying it. Only on Crystal Cavern at the moment but that's cause courswork

15. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    Here's what I can report so far:

-first this:

[​IMG]

There is no way out of this.

- Special stage 7: if you get more than a minute, the timer will always resets at 1:00, granting you infinite times to get the last emerald (I don't know if it can happen in the other special stages)
    - Sonic&Tails playthrough: when going super, if you die, when you'll reappear, Tails will keep his super palette
    - Also when Super Tails will look up, his sprite will use the default palette
    - Gigapolis boss, if you're Super, you can go through the spikes. Also, there can be plenty of glitchy situations with that boss when Super so this will need some fixes.

16. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    For anyone with the severe lag when collecting rings, one workaround is to set the INI file in the folder to read only. You'll have to turn read only off when completeing a level so it is able to save your level progress though.

Its a cheap trick, and probably causes problems but it works for now.

17. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    another bug to fix

- Luster Lake boss: landing on the left platform will often make you die, as if you were crushed.

18. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Not had much time to play due to courswork, but after finally figuring out where to go, I finally finished Luster Lake Act 1 with a time of 9:43, I thought I wasn't gonna make it XD Loving it so far, Boss music was an amazing touch <3

19. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I'm working on fixing these, and hopefully will have REV01 out when I collect all this feedback.

20. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    <!--quoteo(post=573867:date=Mar 29 2011, 05:47 PM:name=Jimmy Hedgehog)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jimmy Hedgehog @ Mar 29 2011, 05:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=573867">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not had much time to play due to courswork, but after finally figuring out where to go, I finally finished Luster Lake Act 1 with a time of 9:43<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It took me about 16 minutes to finish.

<span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>There is no time over, the time resets back to zero instead.</span>