don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Secret Bonus, Feb 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Maybe they could pull something similar to Sonic XG. Start the level/boss as Super Sonic, "win," and then something happens that knocks the Emeralds out of Sonic. Just a suggestion.

Though I kind of would save that for later episodes. Maybe.

2. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    You mean like in Sonic X?

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    No, I meant that his idea meant that you could potentially have all the emeralds from start to finish. Which is stupid.

That aside, I've always looked at Sonic 3 starting immediately after Sonic 2, and the chaos emeralds hadn't had the chance to disperse. I mean, ever since I realized that Super Sonic was a DBZ homage, and that the 7 chaos emeralds were analogous to the 7 dragonballs, I kinda figured that's what they did. Disperse when they're done being used.

4. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    You'll have to forgive me with that. I purged that it existed from memory because it was just so bad.

The only parts I remember usually deal with Shadow punching Chris in the face.

5. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Cool! Sweet! And Catchy! Member
    Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    Lol thats the only thing that made the show worth it.

6. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Well more so the fact is that Sonic would always be one short until he essentially gets the 7th back from Metal Sonic/Wherever...but it definitely wouldn't hurt to have the powers during a first level/act that is specifically designed for Super Sonic (I can already envision hacks to get regular Sonic into such a level).

7. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    You're entitled to your opinion, but I think that's a bit too much of a change to the formula.

8. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

It is episode 2, not a completely different game. An exception would fit well I think.

Sonic gave them away to restore South Island in Sonic 1.

Other than that, no, I can't recall any excuses for them to scatter except in Sonic X.

9. Rokkan

Rokkan

WHY is this emerald discussion still going on, making an excuse for him having the emeralds and losing them is INCREDIBLY dumb.

Just make Sonic not have the emeralds by the beginning of the game, you don't even need an explanation or anything, just like every other Sonic game except for Sonic 3

Why should you come up with a half-assed explanation for that? Just because it's episodic? Well, I collected all the Chaos Emeralds in Sonic 3, why didn't Sonic start off with them at Sonic & Knuckles?

10. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Because he hit a switch that took him down a tunnel with a portal to a mysterious lair that was filled with a strange energy that took the chaos emeralds from him and made 7 big, colorless emeralds appear.

....:v:

11. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    If the Super Emeralds are involved, Sonic can't go super again without getting the super emeralds back. That's how it worked in Sonic 3K, so that's how it'd work here.

Come on, guys.

12. Shade

Shade

Episode 1 was great. It's about time they got on 2. Looking forward to seeing what kind of zones they cook up.

I personally hope they don't change much in the way of handling or physics, because it felt pretty good the first go around, and would lend to a more uniform experience. Imagine if Sonic & Knuckles had altered physics compared to 3.

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Well that would've been impossible. The games were designed to lockon to each other.

I can, however, imagine a change in physics between 2 and 3&K and I can honestly tell you that, if they somehow improved the physics between the two games, I'd welcome the change with open arms.

14. They could've made it so you can control Sonic after rolling and jumping. Though that's about all I can think of.

15. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.

I... I really can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, I mean that opinion is like the complete opposite of the average opinion this board has about S4EP1.

Anyway, I hope they fix the physics, the game wasn't unplayable for me but it certainly wasn't good either.

My opinion about the Homing attack:

Now, I doubt that Dimps (if they do develop EP2) will drop the homing attack, I don't want them to either, if anything, Sonic 1 Megamix proves that Sonic's 3D games abilities can work on a 2D Sonic game, there's no reason why Dimps can't tweak the homing attack so it can work well on a 2D game.

Now, them sticking with the homing attack will inevitably lead to homing attack chains, I'd personally prefer if they took a page from Sonic Adventure 2's rendition of Green Hill Zone, most of the homing attack chains there are not static, pre-placed, fodder enemies like the Bubbles, instead they are enemies with their own distinct behaviors that create the illusion of the homing attack chain being a mere accident of their own programming (as in, how Robotnik/Eggman programs them, not their *ACTUAL* programming)

This video for example (is the youtube tag working?), shows one of those chains.

The Buzz Bombers come towards the screen, giving you a chance to use a homing attack on both of them to get to the platform ahead, but, unlike the Bubbles in Sonic 4, the behavior the Buzz Bomber exhibits there seems far more natural, it's doing what its programmed to do, which is to patrol the area in search of Sonic and shoot him when found, but it had the bad luck of being within range of Sonic's homing attack.

It looks far more believable than having several chains of spikeless Bubbles casually hovering over bottomless pits.

16. If they keep the homing attack (which they most likely will) I hope they remove (or at least significantly shorten) the delay between homing attacks, and keep Sonic in ball form after a homing attack or jump dash. Having to use the homing attack instead of bouncing across the enemies feels too slow, and getting the timing right on the jump dash to have Sonic hit the enemy before uncurling without homing attacking it is a bit annoying.

17. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    If we get more Sonic R from it I'm game.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    He did, if you had Sonic 3 locked on. =P

Sonic 4 is not the first episodic Sonic game, you know...

19. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    This is a very solid point. But, you can always look to Metroid for it's ridiculous ways of getting rid of Samus' gear at the beginning of every game, like stopping and STARING AT AN EXPLOSION.

My thoughts on the Super Emeralds are that they only exist for one reason -- Making the special stages after you lock Sonic 3 onto Sonic & Knuckles worth something. We'll likely never see them again, though if we do, I'll gladly take it.

Though, when talking about power items that we'll never see again, I'd always prefer to see a return of the Chaos Rings in all their redundancy.

20. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    If you want to be technical, they were locked away as dormant super emeralds if you had all of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.