don't click here

One factor that I believe Sonic Unleashed does not nearly get enough c

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Solid SOAP, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    More like 2:14 of ear sex.

2. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Actually, the reason why I have no problems with that level was because it didn't make me rage due to accidentally jumping at the wrong time and falling to my doom.

Sure it was boring, and a technical level, it was worse than any of the twitch platforming stages in Unleashed due to the lack of substance. Personally, I prefer it because it was not only a break from the last few levels to come but also because I didn't die every 5 seconds because of a mistake I made.

And come on, what's so bad about committing genocide to defenseless Motobugs? :P

3. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.

Not when the platformerless level is made in such a way to give you a rest from the second hardest zone in the game, it's also the last rest you get for the rest of it.

If Sky Chase had no purpose I agree it'd be a bad thing, but it has a very clear and useful purpose.

And let's stop talking about Colors/S2 filler and start talking about Sonic Unleashed :v:

I just can't get enough of the demo, I love every bit of it, the music, the visuals, hell, even the physics, I'd even say they are pretty much perfect, not Classic-ish perfect, but perfect in their own right, they fit the game's exhilarating speed perfectly, it's not trying to be something that its not but instead it takes its speedy nature and... runs with it (don't kill me).

Of course this is naive me not having experienced the werehog outside of a LP I watched...

4. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Yeah, you know, I'm just going to stay away from this thread until I play some Sonic Unleashed of both versions. I might play the Wii version sometime soon, now that I got it to replace my broken PS2 version, but I don't expect to be getting an HD console anytime soon. Maybe I'll change my mind a bit.

5. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I do agree with the OP though. Unleashed gave me this great feeling while playing it that I haven't quite gotten from another game (this coming from someone who found enjoyment in the Werehog, mind). It felt like this true grand adventure following heroes from my childhood through these fascinating real-world environments suited to Sonic's strengths. The graphics were incredible, the soundtrack was fantastic, interaction with the local natives was neat (particularly getting involved with some of their stories; I realize not everyone goes for that but I liked reuniting the kid with his father, etc.), and honestly I never expected to get such a warm feeling from a Sonic game. To me, Unleashed HD wasn't just a neat Sonic game with some kickass speed levels, it was just an ideal Sonic game. Yes, there were flaws/things that shouldn't be there, but overall I loved it.

Kind of off-topic, but I also love the opening cutscene, particularly the first half. Shadow/06 tried to pull off the whole serious and epic vibe but obviously failed. Unleashed's opening captures this huge level of suspense, flashy animation, and high-speed thrill in addition to seeming relatively serious. The music just fits it perfectly, and it's great to see such things being pulled off without feeling like it's trying too hard. I've shown the cutscene to people who would otherwise have never played a Sonic game and they loved it. I'm not sure how such a thing could ever be used to give that vibe to the games, I'm just saying that's a great example of how to do an "epic" Sonic.

6. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    You know, I don't care if the story is epic, has a laughably bad story like Shadow the Hedgehog, or even if it's light hearted. 90% of my enjoyment of any Sonic game comes from the levels themselves. Another 9% comes from bosses. The rest of it just isn't that big of a deal to me.

7. Fuzedknight

Fuzedknight

Epic Gnome Time! Member
    Well if you do I would HIGHLY suggest getting Unleashed for the xbox360 or PS3, I was checkin out youtube and found vids for S ranks of the same level and I must say compared the the xbox360 version the Wii one looks so bland and the graphics arn't all that different from the PS2 either.

Compared to

I would also like to note that S ranks on the xbox360 are ALOT harder than the Wii vid by judgeing the speed, the fact that the guy on xbox360 HAD to boost the whole level to get S and accuracy of the Wii S rank vs the Xbox360 S rank and also the fact that the player on the Xbox version was only 8000 points ahead of the S rank marker, even with all the precision. Overall I'd say get it for the Xbox360 considering their decently cheap now, and you can buy Unleashed right from the online store for about 10-15 bucks. Same goes for Sonic 4 if your interested.

Edit: Now that I think about it, everybodies opinions is split on Unleashed due to consoles I'll bet, to be completely honest the Wii one looks like garbage compared to the Xbox360/PS3 version.

8. Rokkan

Rokkan

The boost on the Wii version controls really different from the 360 version (which is the only thing that I think the Wii version is a bit better). Instead of the level design giving you rings all the time so that you just can't run out of boost ever, encouraging you to just boost through the entire level, the Wii version's boost is not so easy to get, and the game doesn't let you use it all the time - the boost of the Wii version makes you go straightforward, having really little to no control on changing directions, and instead of holding the boost button, you just press it and Sonic will be boosting during some seconds, without abling you to stop boosting until one of the bars of the boost bar is depleted. So you had to be more careful on when to boost instead of just boosting all the time.

9. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I have to say, I actually like the look of the of UnWiished's loading/ menu screen better than the 360/PS3 version. Other than that, that's the only improvement I see from those videos.

10. Fuzedknight

Fuzedknight

Epic Gnome Time! Member
    Ah I did not know I haven't played the Wii or PS2 version, my bad, but still I think my point is valid.

11. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I'll be honest, I preferred the Wii version specifically BECAUSE it was slower. The PS360 version was just so damn fast in the 3D sections, you basically had to have it memorized in order to not bump into wall after wall.

12. Fuzedknight

Fuzedknight

Epic Gnome Time! Member
    I agree there was a bit of trial and error if you wanted to go fast, but I think that just added to the fun once you got the hang of the mack speed. Besides, who doesn't like a challenge? :specialed:

13. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Memorization isn't a challenge, it's bad game design. I might as well go play Simon instead.

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Memorization worked for countless Megaman sequels.

15. Royameadow

Royameadow

Lynn, MA; US
    LPs in progress.... Sonic Eraser; Super DKC; SFC Mario Bros.
    I could admit that Unleashed had nice Adventure and Gaia Gate Field stages.
    When I add chiptune music from old games or commentary from old videos (converted to MP03, of course.) to the game, I feel very happy and joyful. :)

To get the best out of the environment and atmosphere of the game, try playing Sonic Unleashed with a track that features no sound or music.
    Playing like this reminds me of the Zen mode from Bejeweled 03, for some reason. :)

16. Fuzedknight

Fuzedknight

Epic Gnome Time! Member
    I have come across something quite interesting, I'm pretty sure it doesn't belong here but I don't think making a topic about it will work either. It appears to be a mix of Sonic Unleashed day stages and Sonic Adventure. Heres the kicker, the demo came out before Sonic 06. I felt it need be mentioned considering I noticed that the game had a boost and a way to crouch, also at a very high speed Sonic would skip across water, much like Unleashed.
    Enjoy

17. Felik

Felik

It's so old it's not even funny

18. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    According to the majority of the people in this topic, you guys think the day time stages in Unleashed HD is more fun than Sonic Colors. I just watched this video, which made me want a PS3 really bad, and it made me hate Dimps even more for making such a half-assed Wii game. Some time later this year, I'm definitely going to buy myself a PS3 plus Unleashed.

I have a question: Does the total amount of daytime stages in Unleashed HD lead to more content than the entirety of Sonic Colors?

19. Depends on if you have the DLC or not.

20. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Nope, there are 21 total levels including ones unlocked with medals, and 10 required day-stages to complete the game. Thing is, besides the main 10 stages, the rest of the unlockable day levels are not only short, but gimmicky. They aren't bad by any means, but they're not quite up to par with the required levels, less so than Colors' secondary acts are. Even with DLC the number of stages doesn't match that of Sonic Colors, especially considering the 20+ Special Stages in Colors, I haven't played the DLC however, so I'm not one to judge it's quality.

Unleashed is a great buy though, not as many speedy stages as Colors, but there are considerably faster and more adrenaline-filled, and I must say are not only beautiful, but all have awesome music. You should definitely buy Sonic Unleashed if you get a PS3 though, even slightly lacking in speedy stages, the ones provided are fantastic and the game just has this wonderful, indescribable vibe about it that's hard to put into words. It definitely feels like Disney World in a video game, featuring Sonic that is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.