don't click here

One factor that I believe Sonic Unleashed does not nearly get enough c

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Solid SOAP, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I still don't see what the damn problem with the Werehog was. Sure, the idea of the Werehog itself was silly, but I personally preferred the slow, platforming Night sections of the Werehog to the Speed stat maxed, barely-controllable BOOST BOOST BOOST Day sections with Sonic. Yes, Sonic is all about speed, but when you can hardly control him it ceases being fun and becomes a frustration.

On another note, I was super psyched about the Sonic Unleashed soundtrack when it was announced and I still love to listen to it.

2. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I think the main issue people have with the Werehog is that it isn't a bad idea, but that it doesn't really fit into a Sonic game, which is all about speed.

3. This could have been partly corrected if they had replaced the Werehog with Knuckles.

The play style doesn't fit Sonic to be sure, but it might fit another character. One who likes to punch and climb walls.

In fact, had this game been named Sonic & Knuckles 2 with Knuckles replacing the Werehog with some minor alterations to fit the Knuckles play style, WE WOULD HAVE BEEN ALL OVER IT. Admit it.

4. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

The werehog itself wasn't a bad concept but it was executed in such a bland and repetitive gameplay format. Endless beat em up and the odd switch and pole dangling with little variation at all (this arguably was also a large part in the repeating battle theme complaint). Very few of the levels had any big innovations or exploration and largely played the same. The game seemed too reliant on the raw gimmick keeping the game going rather than implementing it according to the game's overall design and innovations. Not to mention the levels themselves considering how little they offered went on WAY too long. I think the problem when Sonic games try to do slow is they up to a pace below even normal non-Sonic platforming standards (eg. SA1 Amy and Big, Labyrinth).

The odd occasion they did put innovation into the Werehog gameplay shown it's potential, eg. the Egg Dragoon boss.

5. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    This is something I hear a lot and I have to respectfully disagree. Sonic is not all about speed. In the golden age, it was about platforming. The game was a platformer, the character was fast, and the speed was a new way to do platforming.

EDIT: I guess what I'm trying to say with this is that speed was only a means to the end, the end being platforming.

I have no problem with Unleashed being about speed in the least. However, when it is all speed and very little platforming (in the day stages anyway) I feel like it lacks the substance of the old days.
    The Warehog was a bad idea—the character is pointless, and the fact that they turned it into a brawler is even more so-- but the idea of slowing down to platform was not. It's like I've asked for before, if Sonic had a gear-shift between his Adventure speed with more precise movement control for platforming and his blistering speed from Unleashed and Colors, we could have the best of both worlds, not segregated by plot, characters, seperate levels, or otherwise.

I love Colors too. The speed to platforming ratio is much, much more even than Unleashed. However, the platforming isn't 3D, so while its a great game, I would say only 40-50% is actually 3D. I hate to nitpick, but I feel like a genuinely amazing Sonic game that is indisputably good is closer than it ever has been before; Unleashed and Colors are only the first step and I hope they improve upon them.

6. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Unleashed had stunning visuals and I prefer them to Colours. It also had great platforming bits, I think Unleashed faired more in 3D then Colours did, while Colours wins in the 2D department. Not that Unleashed had lousy 2D sections, far from it, they weren't as regular as they should be imo. Another thing both didn't do was make level progression other thing than horizontal most of the time. I didn't dislike the Werehog as I like alternative gameplay, though his levels were way repetitive. Something I really disliked was the medal system. If they had been used for extra acts it would've been fine, but for regular levels no. I've said before that I'd prefer Unleashed to SA2 and that feeling has not changed. It's the same for Colours.

7. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I understand what you mean, and I agree, but Sonic games blended platforming into the speed. The Werehog was the emergency brakes being put on the speed on and off in Unleashed to do some beat-em-up platforming. Colors suffers a similar thing with its 2D sections in general. Basically the flaw of both games is that the speed and platforming is too divided (and then when you repeat sections of previous acts in Colors with re-arranged objects, it's almost always the 2D sections, rather than the 3D).

8. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    While people like us agree that Sonic is about speed AND platforming, the general audience just doesn't see that as so - Sonic's main gimmick has always been that he's the fastest thing alive, with platforming "tacked on", which as I've seen, some people really don't like. I've seen a few people who always say stuff like "The old Sonic games were all about speed, but for some reason they emphasized the opposite".

Sonic Unleashed's day levels were about raw speed, with some levels offering a bit more platforming, such as the Side-Scrolling bits in Jungle Joyride.

And, your mileage may vary, but Sonic Unleashed did not suffer for emphasizing the speed factor over platforming. I loved that you had to stay on your toes and think quickly in the Day levels. It was exhilarating and fantastic.

I enjoy Sonic Unleashed's Day levels over Sonic Colors' more slow-paced levels.

9. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    Sonic Colors was better because it had focus. I don't care how much you liked the day time levels in Sonic Unleashed. There was simply too much filler to be able to enjoy it.

And even if there weren't, Sonic Colors would still win out in sheer variety. Sonic Unleashed's day-time levels simply did not evolve much over the course of the game.

10. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    The variety in Colors feels shallow at times, though.

11. Namo

Namo

Sonic Colors has plenty of filler. There's at least one level in each planet that is short and usually relies on one gimmick. For example, Aquarium Park Act 2 as well as Act 5.

12. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

There are similar short gimmicky levels in Unleashed, just the hub world makes them optional until you need medals. The level map setup in Colors is linear meaning you play all the levels one by one rather than the choice of secret unlockable ones, admitedly one folly in it's setup.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    What I wish they did with Colors was that notice how the map has different branching paths to different acts. They should have made the levels have alternate endings, and that way you could sort of choose your path so to speak.

14. Scripten

Scripten

I'm rather torn with the way Sega and Dimps handled Sonic Unleashed and Colours. I absolutely loved the art direction they took with the character, especially the humans in Unleashed, and Robotnik is in his best incarnation among the games, IMO. The levels have a ton of character and the games are, genuinely, very fun. (This coming from a guy who, at about 11 or so, couldn't stand Sonic Adventure -when it came out-.) But the problem still remains that they just don't feel like Sonic. I suppose it's something that picky people like me will just have to deal with, but I really wish I could get the same sort of feeling from the official Sonic titles as I do from fan games like Sonic GDK or Freerunner.

15. Namo

Namo

Well, yes, Sonic Unleashed has filler as well, but I personally don't have any gripes with it. At least the filler in Sonic Unleashed isn't those shitty spring-board levels. Honestly, who thought those were a good idea?

I personally like the filler levels in Unleashed that have you running laps around a level, and on each lap the level changes slightly.

16. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Am I the only one who liked the springboard sections? I thought they were pretty fun, and were a concept I imagined that would fit in the classics, even. I also like how they brought back the yellow springs for 'em too.

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

How many were there in total, three? SC, AP and AC? I dunno. I really didn't like them, and could have done with them not being mandatory levels.

18. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I thought they were okay for an occasional gimmick, but as said the mini levels based on them should likely have been unlockable mini games like in Unleashed. I think someone suggested the idea of the levels branching out and the wisps allowing you to find different exits and pathways that lead the map to branch differently. That I think would have made a better balance in levels and also given the wisp concept a fun utility, though admitedly the normal run would have been somewhat short without all those alternate stages.

19. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    Gimmick-centered stages do not equate to filler. Filler is shit that adds basically nothing to a game except for a time sink, like requiring that you collect 50 bear asses in levels you already visited before being allowed to progress.

20. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

For those of you who are comparing Colours graphics to Sonic Unleashed's and saying that you like Unleashed's more- need I remind you that you're comparing a Nintendo Wii game to an Xbox 360 game. Personally, I don't see a huge difference anyway.

I only had Unleashed on the Wii, which seemed to get more favourable reviews. I couldn't get on with it on the Xbox or PS3 when I played the demos, though I found Unleashed on the Wii far easier and less cheap'. I hated the Werehog stages though. I go back to them thinking that perhaps I'll enjoy them one day, but no, never. I would not be paid to sit in front of them again. They aren't terrible- just boring, repetitive, uninspired and dull to look at, let alone the fact that they have nothing really 'Sonic like' about them, apart from the fact you're playing as a messed up version of Sonic, and there are occasional rings.

The only BAD Sonic game is 2006. Secret Rings and Black Knight are actually alright. Unleashed was pretty average, but alright, and Colours is pretty damn good. The Adventure games have and always will hold a special place in my heart, not just for the fact that they are still good today (2 more than the original), but for the fact that they capture the feel of the characters perfectly. I actually feel that Colours also continues this.

I'm looking forward to the next 3D Sonic game- genuinely. I's not like "Awh, after this one they'll clean their shit up, it's obvious they have to", it's "Sonic Colours was great, they can continue to learn from this experience and continue to bring us fun, quality games like they used to before Shadow The Hedgehog".

Actually, I'm looking forward to Sonic 4 Ep II too. I really enjoyed Ep I although it wasn't as good as the classics (due to some preventable shit). Was good though, and I can't wait for the next part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.