don't click here

Little kid hacks Sonic

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by GT Koopa, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flygon

Flygon

Man, I started hacking at 14. Back then, you think you're so awesome and cool and all...

Then you see the kid that made a hack better than yours at the age of 8. :v:

2. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Technically this. I wouldn't call myself too bad at hacking, but when I'm having a cool day on hacking, thinking everyone will like this, someone posts some awesome shit in the E&RE forum and everyone calls it the "best hack of all time".
    Situations like this are really frustrating, because people who just discovered the scene already become a techie, while you are 3 years into the scene now and still are limited to the basics. The only word I have in my head in situations like these, is "Why?". Seriously, how do you people do this? + - I'm mainly saying this to flamewing. :V  

As for this kid, who didn't start his hacking journey with some programs like Sonik Sprite or ESEII? This is nothing more special than watching a mother buying candy for her children.

3. TomoAlien

TomoAlien

Poland
    Not impressive. My 6 year old brother likes to hack games. He figured out "Rock & Roll" Megaman editor by himself and the Lunar Magic too. It all began when he found the Super Mario Bros. editor SMButility on my computer. His hacks are pretty crap, but hey, he's only 6 years old. Yes, I do help him to turn on the romhack tools and stuff. He uses ESEII but he has quite hard time figuring it out.

Well, and I began romhacking when I first got my Internet connection (I was around 12 years old I think, it was in 2006 IIRC) because I was looking for roms (My older brother taught me how to, because he wanted to play Kid Chameleon on the computer, because it's his favorite platformer for the Sega Genesis, he grew up with it) and found out that you can MODIFY THEM. First I was playing around using the Tile Layer Pro to modify the graphics, then I went to use utilities for individual games. Well, I am still not a good romhacker, but at least I don't release my crappy hacks because that would be shameful.

4. [​IMG]
    This. Except with more bright lights and color. I should know, I was a governor, a fighter, a navy seal.

5. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Sonic: The Lost Land (Series), The GCN (site)
    I didn't know what emulation was until I was about 19. Granted though, I didn't have any real internet access until then. My life changed forever.

I love you, Internet.

6. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    All you flippin younguns. I didn't even HAVE internet til I was 15 ;_;

7. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    this ;_; and I just started my hacking experience last year...and still a noob at it.

8. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    I was like, 17 when I heard about emulation, and maybe 18 when I learned of romhacks, and didn't complete a romhack till last year, and said romhack was only a level and palette edit, with slight hex modding.

I'm a have to go along with the whole "not impressed but still it's cool that he's showing interest" crowd. I think of it this way... he could be doing drugs. Instead, he's hacking.

9. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I found about emulation etc. when I was 12, which was the same year I joined up here. (Don't look up my old posts) I made a shitty pallete hack, and have yet to do any sort of "real" hacking.

RE this kid: I might be impressed if I had seen his hack; I thought he'd record the screen with his camera or something. As it stands, I TL;DR'd the video and have no idea what to think.

10. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    God all this talk about having emulators while young, All I had was Nesticle, Genecyst, and ZSNES....Miss having that good ole DOS4GW.....

11. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Simple they lurk and study 68k asm and other programming stuff for fun to work on a hack for fun and they don't aim for techie, it just happens. xP As for the emulation talk, I only partly knew what an emulator was when I was 14 due to one of my friends saying they can play Sonic games on their computer, I didn't know fully until 17 when I discovered this website. (Yeah, I didn't have a computer with internet access at the time and instead of working on work in school, I came across a video for Sonic 2 Long Version and then found SR, S2B at the time of course. :v:)

12. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    I roamed the scene while I was 13/14 and join here not long after I turned 15...knew about emulation and such around 13 too and as I roamed the scene hacking interested me greatly...I really need to continue Sawnik

13. Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Get it? A sonic screwdriver? Member
    Timey-Wimey detector.
    When I was that young I was really interested in editing sprite sheets.
    I guess every kid was.

If I had any idea that there were communities based around hacking classic games, I would've crapped all over the planet with my palette edits.

I still don't really know anything about hacking though. Sonic wise, the only things I've actually mastered are getting into Debug Mode and making icons with launch options.

*goes off to read a shitton of hacking guides*

It would've been nice if the kid had actually taken screenshots of his "game" or something. Then again, considering the name...

14. GHFan

GHFan

He uploaded a link to download the hack in the description of the video. I'm going to check it out.

EDIT:
    My god.
    Best Hack Ever.
    [​IMG]
    Actually, all he did was change the standing sprite and made Sonic's muzzle turn grey in all of the other frames (and probably not all of the frames)

Well, that was... pointlessly bad.

15. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    No grey in his pushing sprite, and his death sprite is completely new and original. No screencap, because I'm lazy.

16. Banoon

Banoon

yes Member
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeth (hack)
    Oh god, lol. This is... odd.

What the hell is up with this death sprite though?
    [​IMG]

17. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Oh wow, he looks like either a piece of bacon or a hot dog. :v:

18. Impish

Impish

To me it looks like an evil portal to the zone of death, where the player character is sucked into never to be seen again!

19. Random Number

Random Number

All the members of No-name are kids. Moonthehedgehog is 11, Theocas is like 12-13, Dandaman is probably about my age, 15, maybe 14. I was 13 when I started hacking sonic. Of course it wasn't anything major, just the layouts to GHZ that now are in No-name, and the Scrap Brain 1 layout. So yeah, it's not too impressive, but I'd definately keep an eye on him to see what he does next.

20. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Hot dog? No, this is Sonic. He'd have to be a chili dog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.