don't click here

Sonic Fan Remix

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by pelikan13, Mar 13, 2010.

1. dsrb

dsrb

I've quite liked the suggested alterations, including some aspects of the latest one above. Of course, it's pelikan13's prerogative whether or not to consider suggestions—but it's everyone else's prerogative to make them. And the game is still too blue.

2. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
  3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    If this SFR looked anything like what CriticalMass did with that screenshot, I'd enjoy it a hell of a lot more. One voice out of many, though.

4. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    This. This. 100 times this.

I know the world's economy is down, but that doesn't mean we can only afford to use half of the pixels in our monitors. Get it because the game has a lot of black in its art and therefore not as many pixels on your screen light up and as such the power consumption is slightly lower

But seriously, this is what I said, like, three eons ago. I counted!

5. Foxsnipe

Foxsnipe

Those changes definitely make the shadows look more natural I think (except maybe the grass/leaves you walk on). Right now they're a bit too black. I hadn't paid much attention to how blue the game was before.

6. Shadic

Shadic

Olympia, WA
    Home improvement eternal
    I wasn't a fan of the earlier color corrections, but the more vibrant colors are actually quite nice.

7. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    To be honest, I'm looking at the brighter one, and then to the original one, and while the brighter one does seem to fit the "sunny, bright, tropical" cliché quite well, it seems to have "broke" (I guess is the word) the detail in the graphics compared to the original, perhaps revising the brighter one and giving it a little bit of contrast so the detail can be seen a little better with this brightness, because right now I prefer the original for the detail and contrast it has.

EDIT: Also I'd just like to point out that I wasn't able to play any of the demos released so far (Pink screen), so I don't actually know what the designs look like in full action without watching a low quality video which isn't as good...

8. Tichmall

Tichmall

J.League PK Party, a "penalty kick" minigame.
    I find the new correction quite "Sonic 4-ish" in terms of colors and contrast (in the way that we saw strong shadows and some shiny effects in the original, and now the shiny effects take the whole lead since the strong shadows disappeared), it's not up to me to find this good or bad though.

9. Chaud

Chaud

Well, of course I think that the work of pelikan13 is amazing, and I'm sure it must follow the style that he prefers. But damn, comparing the colors of the game with the editing done by CriticalMass - really, is much easier on the eyes, and resembles more the classics.

But I think the game is great, anyway.

10. pelikan13

pelikan13

thanks for all the feedback guys, I'm more than thankful, making the screen more readable while maintaining the detail that I enjoy is the number one thing to watch out for in future releases. Keep the suggestions coming :)

11. libertyernie

libertyernie

502 Bad Gateway Member
    I like the brighter colors, and they do make it feel more like a Sonic game. But then again, it doesn't really have to look like a Sonic game - it's a fan game, so you're free to experiment.

12. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    [​IMG]

Hey guys look how much better it is if I raise the contrast and brightness a lot. It's clearly better.

13. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    I love it, I'm totally buying an upgrade so I can play it like that. I think I'll go find a new video card right now.

14. Hmmm, would it be possible to actually have a color adjustment option in the config menu? That way everyone can adjust it to whatever suits their own likings, people tend to have a different opinion on what looks good in the brightness and contrast. If you had a config menu that had R/G/B/Brightness/Contrast controls, then everyone can adjust to what they like, and everyone is happy.

15. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    You're a fool if you think color correction isn't as much of a part of the development process as creating the actual art is. Once again, it has to be stated that unless Pelikan is just trying to seek attention, he's posting this project here in it's incomplete form for constructive criticism. Now, had he specifically stated that he was not going to adjust the color levels under any circumstances, then I can understand where you're coming from. And no, the "noir edition" is not him doing just that unless he says so.

I would hope anything I make would undergo the same amount of criticism, sonic related or otherwise.

16. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Right, but the problem is that everyone is calling it a 'contrast' issue as an overall image, when the correct solution to making the game less 'busy' would be to delete a bunch of vines or something because the colors aren't the actual problem. The problem is that there are too many elements in the scene.

17. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Honestly, that's an opinion. I could argue that classic Sonic games have opted for bright and cheery environments, only turning dark and gloomy if the theme of the level calls for it (Mystic Cave for example). I could go on to say that his released demo incorporates a whole lot of shadows and textures that can be considered dark when compared to their inspiration, which causes the whole scene to just look...dim; it looks like it's lacking in life and vibrance.

Like I've said before though, it's his game. If he wants to take this more realistic route then of course, he should do so. I will only say this much else though. Pelikan, be careful that the realism of the environments doesn't make Sonic look completely out of place. Your vision or not, it'd look wrong, and if you intend for anyone else but you to enjoy it, I'd be careful.

18. Personally I'd like to see what another level will look like, because EHZ being a nature based zone would be 'busy' as most people have said, compare a forest to a field, forest is busy, the field is not. I think once another zone is added to this, people are going to forget how 'busy' the EHZ looks like, and heh, go on to the more important things that might need addressing.

19. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Really....there isn't much else to address that another level would make us forget. Iffy level design when it's original and really bad enemy placement. Although, I'd be really happy if he got rid of the vignette. But that's just me.

20. CriticalMass

CriticalMass

My screen wasn't a "suggestion", it was just a comparison between the classic games color scheme and SFR's, although I'd be lying if I said I didn't prefer it. However, since Pelikan didn't request any feedback, I'll refrain from saying anything specific, as I'm pretty positive he's already overwhelmed with all the player feedback.

Also, brightness itself really wasn't the main point of it, it's probably just a consequence. For what's worth I didn't just "increase brightness and contrast" on it, as can be quickly seen by the lack of gaps in the Input Levels of the mockup (they're all evenly distributed...).

You can't really change these things effectively through post-effect color correction.

The mockup was just a mockup focusing on color-scheme. I didn't put effort into preserving the details because that wasn't relevant to the point I was trying to make. Regardless, a lot of people like to talk about detail, so:

Detail isn't inherently good. A lot of great artists tend to say "less is more", and some of them even actually put a lot of detail in their arts - that's because they know how to use it as a tool. The point about detail is that they're that - a detail. If the contrast between the detail and the abstract form is the same as the form with the whole, then the detail becomes a form in itself. The amount of main shapes should be relatively small so information can be processed quickly.

This is why you always some of these in every good game released:

Fog, even if the game engine would allow you to see everything perfectly without slowdown.
    Blurred Textures, even if the artists clearly could make everything 100% sharp.
    Two/Three-color color schemes

And sometimes other resources such as Depth-of-Field, etc.

Regardless, again, congratulations to Pelikan and Mercury on their great project.