don't click here

Sonic Megamix

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Stealth, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Considering how awesome that act looks and how bland the previous Starry Night Zone was by comparison, this is excellent news. Bonus points for having music that's actually original, rather than ripped for something else... never mind that the music is also legitimately awesome.

Not seeing Stardust Speedway, honestly, just a lot of boostpads and what looks kind of like a Sonic CD/Knuckles' Chaotix aesthetic. The boostpads I can actually take, but I can't help but find their prominent inclusion somewhat ironic.

2. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    It looks cool and all, but for me, I'm not really feeling the dark blue on the level art. Yeah, Starry Night and all, I get that, but at the same time, I'd like to see the dark blues brought up a shade or two.

3. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    This is just a personal question at best, and not one meaning to steer the topic off course...

I've heard the term "jester-esque feel" used previously one time, and having only heard it used once, I ignored it, but I've now heard it used several times and I'm curious to know, how do you define "jester-esque feel"? I.e. what gives away the identity that it's work of mine? I have been thinking that it could be the dithering or possibly the hi-contrast colours I tend to use, but dithering cannot be seen very well on a YouTube vid, and having only "hi-contrast colours" as a reason shouldn't be reason enough, is there anything else that could define it being mine?

4. Metal Knuckles

Metal Knuckles

HAVE SOME FUN WITH MIKU Member
    New Hampshire, USA
    Shadow Alpha, an awesome hack of Sonic 1
    Where's Big?

And the music sounds kind of... off. I can't really describe what it is, but it sounds far from a typical Sonic theme. maybe it's the instruments used, I dunno.

5. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    I love you guys for putting Carnival Island in the background of Starry Night Zone.

You guys really put thought on this one. Amazing artistic and creativity work!

I'm inclined to belive that it's because you are the only one in this community that have an artistic style that is the most similar to the complex art style that is really prominent in the classic Sonic games such as Sonic 2 and Knuckles' Chaotix. That's quite your artistical identity.

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I think the spriting community would criticise parts such as those gradient bars, but the only problem I saw was that one collision error when Sonic attempted to run up that tube (though I remember reading that was just a limitation with the Mega Drive not being able to calculate this stuff quick enough)

I have to admit though, I'm not overly keen on the music. Not because it's poorly done, but because it doesn't play to the Mega CD's strengths much. The lead instrument sounds as if it could be done through the regular Mega Drive.

7. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    I came buckets.

As for the music - I've commented on it in your music thread, so repeating myself won't do any good now, would it? :P

8. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Interesting.
    I like the zone's speedometer and magnetic balls. Doesn't resemble Star Light Zone at all now. Keep it up and we might see something great next year or whenever the hack is finished.

9. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    I know, right? But in Sonic CD, it felt a lot more fun to be boosted around in certain levels. I don't remember any boost pads in Palmtree Panic, but I do remember them in Stardust Speedway.

I guess you can do right with lots of boosters, or at least well enough if everything else falls into place: music, design, look; design most importantly.

10. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    This is fantastic work. The level art looks very impressive and it's great to see something that is fresh. Music is well produced and feels fitting with the zone. My only criticism. And it really is just my preference. I'm not a fan of the level layout design. The reason is that it looks very linear. It's a bit like the rest of the other level designs that was in the last Megamix release. This combined with the large size of the level make it feel exhausting and a bit of a chore to play by the looks of things. But other than my little nag this zone is extremely impressive.

There is nothing wrong with having FM in modern tunes.

11. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Looking good, can't say much that others haven't said. Keep up the good work!

12. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I knew I recognised that from somewhere. Excellent work.

13. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Oh wow, this was a surprise to see on Retros front page today. :v:

Going with this; once again Megamix sets the standard for what's a good fan designed level. The orbs are really what make the level unique among others. Markeys level style (way of doing small slopes, majour level art touch ups, etc.) is noticable too. :)

I'll have to take some notes from this.

As for the art, I think more contrast in colors between the foreground and background in the lower and higher (but not middle) part of the levels would work well. Shame I can't hear the music in the library. :(

14. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    yeah, hi-contrast colours are definitely part of your style, aside the great amount of details you put in the tiles and the high quality of your work. Anyway, it's good to see you're providing some art to Sonic Megamix.

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Very interesting - I love the neon look, and you're definitely getting a Sonic CD vibe from this level, which I suspect was your intention. =P Really looking forward to playing this.

16. Maxd

Maxd

Alabama
    Mixin'
    Jizz. In. My pants.

But seriously, that music sounded good. Is it CD audio or SMPS? + - Also, needs moar speedboosters!  

17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Of course it's CD audio, you really think that could be done with SMPS? =P

18. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I just noticed that the Speed meter in the level actually works; even nicer touch. :v:

19. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Put the "zzwwsszzazwwss" thing on the DAC or whatever Megamix uses to play samples and it seems pretty doable. The song would have Ice Cap Zone syndrome where it's constantly dropping out, though it would have the benefit of not looping.

And I still don't like your layouts.

20. Maxd

Maxd

Alabama
    Mixin'
    I haven't messed with audio for hacking before, and who knows? They might be working on a CD32X port by now =P All the extra processing and palette options... whooooo boy! That would be cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.