don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stonerboy

Stonerboy

http://www.tssznews.com/2010/06/17/e3-2010...r-sonic-4-ep-1/

2. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    watch them try to charge $10 here and £10 in europe.

3. Stonerboy

Stonerboy

As tempted as I am to think that they'd at least consider it, I doubt they'd think themselves able to get away with it given the bad publicity they'd receive as a result.

4. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    SEGA is afraid of bad publicity?! Holy shit, they must be shitting themselves then.

5. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie

As far as I'm concerned, they fixed MOST of the issues. No more floatyness! Gravity exists (but seems only if you are trying to go up hill, not down hill), Sonic accelerates normally, and the homing attack targets don't appear for badniks unless you are REALLY close to them...but the bumpers remain the same, nothing that was really an issue for me anyway. I like how you can go back to the special stages, even easier than the way it was done in Sonic Heroes. The music won't change. We can only hope for some better sounding tunes for the next episodes. I really hope they use Sonic 3/K/3D Blast drum samples for the next one. After freaking out when first hearing Sonic 3's different drums, I've grown to love them in comparison to the hollow sounding set used in Sonic 1/2.

I'm buying a Wii for this (This is the second time I bought a console because of a Sonic game) and for those nifty FiT games.

6. dsrb

dsrb

You're implying that doesn't happen frequently with all manner of products.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wait, have you seen a newer build? Where?

8. Stonerboy

Stonerboy

I just couldn't see them being able to justify it for a digital release, but I also realize that Sega know that people will eat it up regardless of price, so they'll just do it anyway. I apologize though, I'm thinking about this with the deluded idea in my mind that those who make the decisions are rational beings pursuing rational corporate strategies. I'm forgetting about Sega's track record.

On a side note though, do Sony/Apple/Microsoft/Nintendo have any say in the pricing? I recall Microsoft being a particular pain with past XBLA releases, asking companies to charge more for their products and the like.

9. I just thought of something...

Downloadable games aren't normally advertised on Television...

Could Sonic 4 (as publicized as it is already) be the game to change this trend?

It would mean that downloadable games can be important enough to be as televised as a standard console game.

10. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Unlikely. There's really no reason. The internet is clearly doing that just fine.

11. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator

I think the most you'd see outside the internet is a poster with "DOWNLOAD NOW' at Gamestop, or a small ad put in one of their free fliers, if this is going to be advertised in any way off the internet.

12. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I usually get the chance to get posters from local Gamestops (them giving them away of course), such as a poster of FFXIII they tried to give me, and one poster of Arkham Asylum I just so happened to miss. If they put up a Sonic 4 poster in there, I'm going to have to beg those people for it. I don't care how the game comes out; to see a poster of Sonic the Hedgehog 4 in my room would be awesome, so I'll be anticipating that (that is if it ever happens).

13. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    Pokemon Rumble says hi.

Although I guess that only advertised in NP magazine and on Cartoon Network, though maybe it was advertised in other places and I just never noticed.

I would like to see some sort of kick-ass advertising for this game beyond the Internet, though.

14. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    I think Sega PR have achieved the goal of this being one if the most talked about games on the internets, negative or not. If you're on the internet, you know about Sonic 4. So I doubt they'll pay of TV ads, as you kinda have to have the Internet to buy S4 anyway.

15. serpx

serpx

No reason? I'm sure there's plenty of people out there who haven't heard of this game -- not everyone obsessively, or even casually, browses the internet for gaming related content. This game targets a lot of people who grew up in the 90s era, and lost interest for Sonic, and perhaps video games entirely. (I know plenty of people who hasn't heard of Sonic 4, who knows and liked Sonic).

I don't have the market knowledge that SEGA has -- they should know what's best when it comes to marketing the product -- but I'm willing to bet a televised commerical would be a good long-term investment.

16. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    The Sonic 4 commercial should start with the classic "Sega!" chant. I can just picture people eating dinner and turning towards the television, since when they were kids they were conditioned to it.

Then comes the nostalgia rush, "Hey, remember when we used to play Sonic on the Sega Genesis?" "Hey look the game's downloadable, I don't have to get off my ass!"

17. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Enough of this TV commercial talk.

18. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    So, how do you guys think multiplayer will work in Episode 2 (if they choose to implement it)? Online co-op with Sonic and Tails would be a nice touch. (Although I'd still tolerate the nostalgic local co-op).

19. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    The thing is, the only real point of co-op in Sonic is that if someone else wanted to play too, they could. When you're online, you both have your own console and copy of the game, so co-op is completely pointless.

An online Vs. Mode that doesn't lag would be greatly appreciated, though.

20. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    What? No it isn't. Co-Op in Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 kicked ass because you could tag team bosses and fly over shit. It was fun blasting through levels together. The major issue of the old games were the fact that player 2 was the poor soul who couldn't go at his own pace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.