don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    You are all implying Sega even gives a shit about paying attention to the continuity of the classics.

2. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    This, plus the fact that Chaotix is retconned (by Word of God nonetheless) anyway by Sonic Heroes, which is tied to Adventure, which is tied to the classic games. Perhaps it just better to simply erase Chaotix from the continuity.

3. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Sure looks like Sonic 4 is giving us the implication that they do.

But the problem is SEGA is no longer full of geniuses.

or DIMPS

or both

4. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Uh... what?

5. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    I still think they should never remake that style of play, nostalgia be damned. They didn't do it intentionally, they did it because Tails was already in back of Sonic and they were either just lazy or didn't have the technology. If they want to be fair, stick each player in a separate pipe this time and leave them to their own devices and count the score on who has more rings.

They give a shit about continuity, it's just that the retro fans some feedback has flamed the hell out of SEGA for any attempt at continuity for years strongly discouraged this.

6. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    I don't see how Chaotix would be affected at all by Sonic 4. Even with the stupid "SECRET PREVIEW TO EPISODE 2!!!!!" Ken keeps plugging every chance he gets a microphone in his face.

7. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    I thought that ending was related to Sonic CD. :rolleyes:

I'm wondering if Episode 2 will be a combo of CD and 2, weren't they developed at the same time? Seems like a good way to kill two birds with one stone and less money.

8. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Please make sure to read the thread. The discussion is where in the timeline does Sonic 4 fit in relation to Chaotix.

9. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I'm referring to the fact that since SEGA said the current Chaotix that first showed up in Heroes (Espio, Vector and Charmy) were not the same as the ones before, and that it was essentially a reboot for the characters. Therefore, by featuring the rebooted characters, and being tied to the originals, it automatically invalidates the original Chaotix as canon.

10. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash

The implication yes, but what is actually going on is SEGA is trying to cash in on the current retro trend by outsourcing a quick and dirty 2d 'sonic' game to DIMPS (After all, DIMPS is an outsource developer, that's all they do. Go ahead, look at their website.) All sega hopes to accomplish by this is to spend as little as possible to rake in the dollars from the older sonic fans who enjoyed the classic series. There is absolutely no effort being put into these titles aside from the PR guys pushing it as hard as they can into everyone's faces as yet again a 'return to sonic's roots'. Thankfully though, just about everyone here understands that. I really hope everyone else doesn't fall for this bullshit, although it looks like IGN and all of the major game reviewers are.

11. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Although I agree with this, I feel like DIMPS is actually trying really hard to please us. From their interviews they sound like they've been trying pretty hard to please two crowds. Sega may not care, but I sort of feel like DIMPS, in a way, does.

12. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I guess I like falling in bullshit then.

We haven't even seen Episode 2. :psyduck:

13. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    On that note, we haven't even really seen episode one yet, outside of trailers. Chill out a little, guys.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    We have seen everything in Episode one, except for whatever few changes they're currently making.

15. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    A lot of us have though via video.

16. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Ah, you know what I meant. None of us have really played it yet, so we don't really know for certain if its a flop or not.

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Again, a fair number of people have played it.

18. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    By way of a friend with the means, I've played it.

...Think Sonic Rush stages minus boost button and jumping physics akin to Sonic Unleashed day time platforming.

I mean... it's playable, but it just feels awkward. Sonic feels like he wants to pull forward. The usual DiMPS assortment of cheap ring loss traps is present, which we've seen, and tilt controls are odd.

Now, despite several of you clinging to the belief that this is simply a prototype (and it now technically is), this game was going to be what would have been released last month as a finished product. Sega's got a lot of polishing to do to get this thing playing like a Sonic game and not just another turd platformer.

Hint: lock the production team in a room for a month with Sonic 1, 2, 3, and CD. This is all they'll need to actually get how the games should feel.

p.s. Mad Gear Act 1, at least, was a fun stage. Act 2 and Act 3 felt like too much of a chore.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I would agree with this but I don't think Sonic 1 and CD should be included. They were good starts, but they were too different from what I'd have wanted Sonic 4 to be. Taking inspiration is one thing (granted this game just takes the stuff from it that's nice but not important and ignores the stuff that many would argue is essential), but with Sonic 1 there were too many levels that relied on only platforming (I know Sonic's not all about speed, but LZ is just too much), and Sonic CD had some rather cheap level designs that one could only get through well after hours and hours of memorization due to the maze like designs of a lot of the later stages. I'd say the feel of Sonic 3 and Knuckles with the level design of Sonic 2 would be the perfect solution.

Also about the leak. I'm not dismissing the possibility that it could have been the final build but isn't there a possibility that it is a slightly old build? Maybe there was a build that would have been different than the one everyone got off ParterNET released as the final. Granted they should have got it right the first time, because honestly how hard would it have been to imitate Sonic 3 and Knuckles physics, but there is a possibility that what we saw was a little less polished than what would have been the final release had the game not been delayed.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You're forgetting that the public demos SEGA has released play and look the same. They wouldn't have built them from an old build if they had a fixed version already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.