don't click here

Roger Craig Smith and Kate Higgins are the new Sonic and Tails VAs

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Azookara, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I was listening to some voice clips from SA2 and unleashed last night along with the new clips from Roger. He truly sounds a lot better in that commercial than he does at Alton Towers and I think he has the potential to grow on me. I'm very glad Griffith is gone because he sounds way to old to play as a 15 year old hedgehog. >_>

2. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    The main problem I had with Griffith was that he put this goofy bounce into Sonic's voice. Just listen to him recite lines like "Oh-KAY!" or "Feelin' GOod!" or "Piece o' CAke!" and you'll hear what I mean.

Roger has none of that. He actually reminds me more of the short audio clips from Sonic CD (not spot on, but I just got that vibe from the voice clip), and that's a very good thing, at least going by his voice in the ASR commercial. He actually sounds like a 15-year old hedgehog. The tubular surfer dude voice from the Sonic Suite was just disappointing in comparison.

If he does it right, his voice acting in Colors might just fit in really well.

3. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

Uh.. Are you deaf? He does the retarded pitch changing more than Griffith ever did. He's pretty much a bad impersonation of Griffith at this point. Maybe he will do a less retarded voice ingame, but as it stands it's terrible and I'll be replacing the sound clips when the game is released if he uses that voice.

4. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    You hear it in both his clips? I'd definitely agree with you that his Sonic Suite voice clips sound a lot like he was trying to be Griffith, but it's much less evident when he voices Sonic in the ASR commercial.

Just my opinion, though.

5. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

He does a better job in the ASR commercial, but he's still doing a bad impersonation of Griffith.

6. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    WHHHHOOOOAAAAAA.

This is quite bad. I hope he refines his lines better than that.

7. Flare

Flare

I can easily state - cause I have studied acting, including Radio - that an actor is as only as good as his director and the script. The best actor in the world can sound pish, if they aren't directed well. Not that I am blaming the director as apposed to Roger, but you can't actually base an opinion on two lines of monologue compared to the rest of his work which we have heard.

8. Tobibrocki

Tobibrocki

He'll get better, just give him some time guys. No pro ever fell from the sky and started acting as someone else in a flash! Just give him a year or two, he'll get into the role, I'm sure of it. ;)

9. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    I'll wait until he acts as Sonic where he's NOT advertising something before I form an opinion on him.

10. Sokaris

Sokaris

Here is a man who stood up. Member
    I agree with this sentiment. I'd like to hear what he sounds like in an actual game; However I do hope he doesn't try to be a carbon copy of Griffith. What would be the point of replacing him if he's just gonna sound like the previous VA?

11. Tobibrocki

Tobibrocki

Maybe this new Voice Cast will last a little longer than any previous Voice Cast? Or they changed the Actors from 4Kids Actors to this new Cast in order to be more flexible and not bound to 4Kids?

I don't really know whats the exact reason for the change, but I think its the latter from the Questions I've said. But who knows.

12. serpx

serpx

This is why Sonic shouldn't have a voice. Just like the old days (minus the cartoons, and minus the limiting technology of the old-generation systems).

13. glem3

glem3

Well, we're boned.

Really though, I think people are putting a tad too much faith in the "it's because he's advertising" idea. It's not like Griffith hasn't advertised before, and when he did, he didn't sound that bad. I don't doubt he'll sound better when not advertising, but how much better would a change between an advertisement and a video game make? I don't think he's going to instantly become much better because he's working on something different.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So wait this Roger guy was also the Alton towers guy? I'm confused

15. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Yes.

/notaonewordpost

16. Oh god no. I was hoping that was some announcer from the theme park.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I was too. Hopefully he shapes up for the games, it was his first time voicing Sonic so I'll give him a chance.

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Let us know when you got that time machine working, k?...

Can't anyone search the internets for a better quality version of this commercial? I hate using this low quality shaky-cam version as an example of what sonic's voice is going to be like.

19. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    How about we judge the voice actors on something that aren't shitty lines for a theme park or a TV commercial?

20. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

Oh shit, I just heard Roger Craig Smith's performance as Sonic introducing the rides and the hedgehog room. By the time he said "This is where all the cool hedgehogs hang out", I was laughing. I want this guy to voice Sonic for at LEAST five years, it's so fucking hilarious with this surfer dude thing he's got going on. I also hope he sounds that bad in Sonic Colors.

I also hope that Kate Higgins' voice for Tails is just as awful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.