don't click here

Interview with Keith Dwyer, the producer of Sonic Colors

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Wing, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wing

Wing

This has already been posted in the SOA forum, but I'm bringing it here in case someone hasn't seen it yet.
    He does say a few things we haven't heard yet, such as revealing the development state of the game (just about done, with the finishing touches and beta testing now being the focus).
    Check it out here!

EDIT:
    It looks like I accidentally used the wrong link. Get the download by clicking this link.

2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Could someone write down all the new info?

3. Wing

Wing

I listened to it a few hours ago, so I may not get everything:

- The game is almost finished. The rest of development time will be spent on beta testing and small tweaks.
    - The Metal Sonic world isn't like the others. It doesn't have any core levels.
    - There will be no hub-worlds or mandatory missions.
    - The game is made to appeal to everyone.
    - The formula is one that will likely be used in later 360/PS3 games (Forgive me if I'm wrong about that one, as I said, it's been a few hours).

Those are the only ones that come to mind. I may have missed a few.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Great, I can't wait to play this game
    So then what the hell is it then? I knew it was different as it isn't chained to the main station but still
    Good
    Also good, this game is one of the first Sonic games in a while to try and have some sort of universal appeal, even if it is meant for younger fans
    Please reuse this formula (if it works). Unleashed without all the padding and werehog is exactly what I want in a modern Sonic game.

5. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    I am rather intrigued by the Metal Sonic world comment. If it isn't like the others, what can it be? A boss rush, perhaps? Or maybe it's a one act level. It makes one wonder, that's for sure.

6. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Maybe it will be like the special world in Mario Galaxy 2.

7. Wing

Wing

I thought the Metal Sonic world would be nothing more than a boss, but a boss rush would be a great feature.

I just thought of something else though. What if it's a gate to a multiplayer mode or time trial mode? The temporary box art has the Nintendo Wi-fi logo on it, so maybe we can download ghosts of other players' runs, and have them be represented as a "Metal Sonic" of sorts?

8. Dreadknux

Dreadknux

Oldbie
    I assume we're calling it the 'Metal Sonic' world simply because there is no other name for it?

9. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    Thank God. That was so unnecessary to keep some of your rings in Unleashed where rings are literally EVERYWHERE. It was already easy enough to not die from an enemy as it was...

Which brings me to my next point;

I'm personally glad that they've consciously made the attempt to make the game more challenging like that. Making Sonic less invincible and the enemies less of a pushover. Also making the game feel like you're the one doing all the work and not having the game hold your hand constantly is really what Sonic needs more of these days. I really love the fact that the boost isn't powered by rings, and that the producer brought that issue up with Unleashed and it's seemingly endless boost. It's like they actually get it! And also I'm glad he agrees with the general public about the QTEs, and how out of place they are. Still, you have to wonder what exactly the team's thought process is behind those..I mean..why are they so hellbent on including that in the games? I can sorta understand with the Werehog but...

Anyway, from what I'm hearing so far, this sounds like they're taking all the right steps to make this the best experience as possible.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Indeed. It's a metal looking Sonic that looks like starship Mario. What else is there to call it?

11. Dreadknux

Dreadknux

Oldbie
    I just wonder if people get the wrong idea about calling it 'Metal Sonic,' when Metal Sonic is confirmed to not be in Colours, is all.

Plus, the game plays quite well actually. :3

12. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    I'm hoping that while there won't be mandatory missions, that levels will have a few extra things to do upon completion along the lines of SA2 or Black Knight to boost it's replayability.

13. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    Why not merge this in the Sonic Colors thread? + - And delete this post while we're at it.  

14. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    EDIT: Reading is fun. :flunked:

But yeah, I think the producer kinda left that open ended, so I too hope that we get something like that.

15. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    The big red rings look like they could be collectibles.

16. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

Actually, all they do is add points. (10,000 each if I recall correctly)

17. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    In some of the new screens (from non-E3 levels) the number of red rings you've collected in a level appears on the HUD.

It was probably just for the demo.

18. I'm really rather curious as to who's going to be doing the music for this game. I doubt it'll have the same quality as Unleashed, but if this game really does have themed levels (As it should) then the music shouldn't be too bad.

From what I've heard of the main theme in the trailer, however...

19. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Unleash had a shitty main theme too. That didn't bleed into the rest of the soundtrack.

20. Dreadknux

Dreadknux

Oldbie
    The music's pretty funky in the first couple of levels. Sweet Mountain's is pretty jazzy, for example. Not sure if it's Senoue's work, but I hear he's "involved."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.