don't click here

Roger Craig Smith and Kate Higgins are the new Sonic and Tails VAs

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Azookara, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Well, that's probably why SA2 sounds so wooden compared to the other games he's worked on—even Sonic Heroes with his cornball script.

2. Wing

Wing

He did at least know what was going on, right?
    Or was he just told to say "I'm outta here!" in an excited voice?

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wait, how do we know this? Is the relevant interview in the wiki?

4. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    It was in an interview with Drummond. I don't know if its on the wiki but I do in fact remember it.

5. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I do remember him mentioning it in a SAGE interview and he may have said it elsewhere. I don't know if other V.A.'s echoed this though, but I doubt Drummond's one to make up something like that.

6. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    All I know is that when you can say "We're Sonic Heroes!" with more feeling and emotion than half the script of Sonic Adventure 2, you either have a weird taste in drama, or something went terribly wrong at some point in voice direction.

7. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Yes. This was the point. Sorry I couldn't elaborate much on it, I was away from home and had limited online time. Those replies didn't contribute anything at all, and thus needed to stop.

8. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    I think THIS is the interview with Drummond in question. Seeing his enthusiasm over Sonic X here makes me feel a bit sorry for the guy considering what happened instead.

I like Dan Green, but hopefully getting someone else to play him might coincide with his SCENERY-CHEWING ANGER getting toned down.

9. ShenziSixaxis

ShenziSixaxis

That's quite a mental image stuck in my head now.

Been feelin' a bit sorry about Drummond, as well, since I recently read what happened with Sonic X and Shadow's game. Moreso Jason, though, as that's more recent and I remember finding a statement from him that Sonic was his favorite character to play; plus, Jason and everyone else seemed to be getting better around Next Gen and Unleashed.
    Interesting to learn how Sega did the recording for the Adventure games, though.

Dan Green felt perfect for Knuckles, and Mephiles if Sega ever decides to pick Mephy out of the dumpster. Knuckles didn't feel overly stupid and gullible with Green's voice, I felt; Knuckles felt like a like-able character with his voice. :)
    And his work with Mephiles, that was just pure awesomeness; I felt he nailed the manipulative and insane personality just right, not to mention those laughs. :specialed:

10. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Mephiles, voice wise, was a dead ringer for Yami Yugi... this was made even better that the final arena was inside an Egyptian crypt.

11. FlashTHD

FlashTHD

Oldbie
    Reposting this because oh my god, a dose of common sense. What a concept.

12. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    This is more of a writing thing than anything else. Frankly, in SA1, he WAS stupid and gullible. This would have been the case with Green or with anyone else.

13. Something's wrong with me. Until last week I didn't notice SA1's Knuckles voice actor was not the same person as his SA2 voice actor.

14. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I always thought the acting for Knuckles was much better in SA2 than in SA1. Now I know why. >_>

15. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    I just hope that the new guy for Knuckles makes him seem more relaxed and cool (Scott) rather than angry all the time (Dan). No offense to Dan Green, but I don't see Knuckles as a hot headed person. Not very guardian-like if you ask me.

16. ShenziSixaxis

ShenziSixaxis

Knuckles IS a stupid and gullible character. What I meant was he didn't feel like it to me with Green's voice.

I don't think a guardian would lose whatever he guards do often. Or seemingly ignore it (the last time it was mentioned in a game was SA2, I believe).

17. Hanyou

Hanyou

In Sonic 3 & Knuckles, he's portrayed as a very hotheaded character. Don't know if it would still apply since he's changed so much, but I think either interpretation could work.

I tend to prefer understated voice acting myself, so while I do view Knuckles as hotheaded, I think that could be pulled off without too much shouting.

18. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    Ahh, so in the japanese Sonic 3 manual, it DOES say he was short-tempered. Well not having seen that would make me think otherwise, as all I came up with was he seemed more mischivous/cunning (Sonic 3 traps), gullible, and calmer (his voices in SA1 and SA2).

Oh well. All we can do is wait to see who he's being played by, which might take a while, as I don't remember if he's going to be in Colors or not (I think he's in the DS version).

19. Knuckles?
    He should be a calm guy most of the time.
    Trying to take things easy and just do his job.
    He should only get REALLY annoyed when "shit goes down".

After the initial outburst, he should take up the challenge calmly.

Attitude; he should just look and sound smug. Thats what he looked like in S3&K.
    He tries to hide his lack of intellect by being smug. At least, thats the way I see it.
    He should be the character who knows more about Mystical shit, seeing as he's the guardian of one of the most mystical things in the game; the M.E.
    Knowledge should be related to ruins of ancient cities.

Tails?
    Should be the smart one.
    Mechanic, good with building things, but should ultimately be naive.
    I'm all for him being smart...but I hate the fact that he always ends up talking about the moral of the story (Zero Gravity much).
    He knows TOO much. He should be the innocent, tech-happy sidekick, not the goddamn encylopedia.

Attitude; smart, but constantly looking to Sonic for direction. He's only 8 after all.

Sonic?
    Average intellect. Laid back. Slightly cocky. Mostly calm. never gets annoyed by anything Robotnik does.
    Takes it in his stride. Mysterious charater. We know the LEAST about Sonic. That should be used in his portrayal; he's mainly open, but sometimes you should get the feeling that he's holding something back.
    He should be the strategist. He knows how Robotnik works the most, seeing as he's had the most encounters. Takes control of the situation and works it to his advantage.
    He should NOT be; overly-happy, overly "TEAMWORK", a typical "goody-goody" hero. He should be a somewhat complex balance of cocky, slighty smart-ass, but ultimately good guy.

Thats how I want the characters to be written and portrayed. Maybe I've read too much into it, but thats how I imagine these characters.

20. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    I think you've got it down, Scar. Aside from the "holding something back" part about Sonic, anyway. He doesn't strike me as that kind of character -- more the straightforward type with the can-do attitude.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.