don't click here

Sonic Freerunner

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Azookara, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    It's just a prop. Giant watermelons, however..

2. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    [​IMG]
    CUT CUT CUT!

Sorry that's all I could think of. I haven't been outside much... broken my ankle. :specialed:

*Goes back on topic*

This is all looking really sweet guys, I'm loving everything! Good luck and keep up the good work!

Will you be able to spin through giant watermelons?

3. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Not really, just hopping from one to another like platforms as they float in a mass of water.

4. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    It would be awsome if you could run on a watermelon to move it along the water and reach new paths.

5. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    ATTENTION:

We officially need level designers for all the stages in our game. If anyone is interested, please contact me.

Now, for guidelines on level design: levels must be similar in layout to the Genesis games: high and low roads, distinguished areas for platforming, little areas for exploration and such. However for these areas also try to make them pretty open, and make areas in similar style to Sonic Adventure. In really open areas, make sure to take up some of the space by putting skate park-esque playground areas. Little to no bottomless pits please, and no areas based on homing attack chains (unless if we're talking as in really optional paths).

Please, everybody. We need your help.

6. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Once upon a time I wanted to be a level designer for you but I ran into the following problems:

There's no way to test anything, I had no level editor, no game engine, nothing. Just a basic blitzsonic install with stock physics, barely tweaked engine, etc. It was impossible to find a starting point. There was no way to quickly make a new level slot and pick it from a level select menu. There were no objects to place, no camera editor, no texture library, nothing. You'll need to make level editing into a feasible workflow before you can expect anyone, let alone a talented level designer, to make content for your project. And most importantly, you need one person who is ALWAYS available for questions, and this person needs to have the latest build of the program. The project leader needs to be able to meet a designer's demands at a moment's notice. When I wanted to make levels for you, I barely had anyone to talk to. I didn't even know who to ask half of the time as you never knew what was going on.

7. So...so you want to be the level designer?
    It appears they have something...I think.

I would love to be a level designer, sadly I can use the software needed for shit.
    I have ideas and concepts I feel could work, but I lack any expertise in actually making them, without them look retarded.

I don't know...I could be Creative Developer/Concept artist, just as long as there is somebody who know's what they're doing actually making the level....

Its up to you dude.

8. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    EDIT:nvm

Now really, I actually meant as in drawing layouts, but I guess people actually designing by modelling is cool too ^^;

9. Drawing layouts is pretty tricky in 3D....I can give it a shot though.
    If some of the levels look as though they would work, then the level modeler can get started on making them.
    So in order to contribute, you need to join the Freerunner Boards?

10. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Yes, that's how it works.

11. I disagree with this. If we are to have a demo out in time for Sage, should we not focus most of our efforts on completing the first level; such as level props/gimmicks and badniks? How many stages did the Sonic Adventure demo have? I think we should put all of our efforts into finishing the first stage of the game, it would be more impressive, in my opinion, to have a complete working level, rather than all the levels haphazardly rushed just to be getting them done in time.

12. MikeTH

MikeTH

Ohio
    I could use some practice drawling, is there any limitations on how the concepts should be handled? I usually like to do pencil and paper concepts because that's where I have the most skill with art. If still need some help I'll dig some pencils and paper out and go over and make an account on the forums.

13. synchronizer

synchronizer

When I think level design, I think of not actually modeling and making the level, but drawing it out for others to create. Is this what you really mean?

14. Tidbit

Tidbit

What about story? Obviously if we wanted to make sage theres not enough time to do what we have officially so far but, we could always write up something simple to show before the first level.

15. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Yes, that's what I meant.

Also EightBitDragon since I was obviously rushed like usual to get off the Internet I just said that. What I meant of course is the level layout of the currently worked on level.

16. How do you draw the level layout for a 3D level without making it look incredibly linear with paths instead of open explorable space.
    I came across this major snag, whilst making an attempt to design part of a level.

I have no idea of how to get around this problem.

17. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    We technically have a pretty good idea already. I can polish that up, but does a demo need the story? Or is Azu making the deadline for the entire game Sage?

And after Sage, will the demo be playable?

Edit: @Scartillery, this isn't entirely my field of expertise, but wouldn't you draw something similar to an isotonic square as a base and then work out placement of objects like that? (And expand on / contract on the square as you go?)

18. Tidbit

Tidbit

Basically Volpino said, you have to draw it from an isometric view. Draw a square at an isometric angle, and just build off it. It might sound hard, but its easy once you do it a few times.

19. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Most like Super Mario 64 worlds, all the worlds were "Open" to explore, but still had their limits, like walls, obstacles, paths, quests and shit.

20. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    You could also look at Spyro's and Banjo-Tooie's level design and transition, I think their worlds were a little better made personally. Mario 64's were really limited and small... And their design is a little dated. (Blocky) IMO.

Not bashing Mario 64, just pointing out a few other examples.