don't click here

Sonic X or Sonic Underground?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Endgame, Jul 1, 2010.

Which would you prefer out of the 2 if you had to choose?

1. Sonic Underground

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sonic X [4Kids version]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    This is like asking if I want my left arm ripped off or my right one.

I reluctantly choose SoUnd. Make no mistake, I hate them both, but I hate 4kids at an almost religious level. Though if you were to ask me about the Japanese dub, I would choose that over both of these in half a heartbeat.

2. The only thing I like about Sonic Underground is Sonic's voice actor. Seriously, even when I was 9 that show was boring.

Sonic X isn't a whole lot better, but at least they have more than like 3 characters from the games, and I can actually stand watching it.

3. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I null voted, but I'd go with Sonic X. Sonic X is bad (in any language, IMO, though the Eng dub is even worse), but Sonic Underground is just... impossible to watch.

4. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    I voted, and that's all you need to know :colbert:

5. MastaSys

MastaSys

Pick your poison.

I kinda liked Sonic X JP, even if just for the reminder to the Japanese public that the real name of our good Doctor is Robotnik on his profile card :D

But 4Kids it's just bad, the actors now are better, but back then it's easy to notice inexperience and lack of knowledge about the characters :P
    But still no horrible songs or Satam rip-offs, so I guess Sonic X ... T_T

6. Oh my god, it's like asking if you want someone to either cut off your toes or your fingers :/
    Sonic X if I had to say, only becuase they had lots of super sonic/shadow exposure, even so it's atrocious.
    Let us never speak of this vote again.

7. tuddy

tuddy

I'm inclined to agree, the 4kids dub of Sonic X was pretty awful; purely because of how... cheap it feels sometimes. Case in point, episode 26's soundtrack dissonance. While Kotoba ni Dekinai (the insert song from the Japanese version) is a really great song that I listen to all the goddamn time, I can't even remember the song from the 4kids version... or if it even had an official title, for that matter. The same could be said for the whole soundtrack, actually. They chose to compose their own soundtrack on a shoestring budget (which they do with pretty much every dub), and it shows.

And yes, I'm aware that Underground has its fair share of crappy music, but that's what the mute button is for. You can mute whenever a song happens without missing out on much dialogue or plot. Also, I'm genuinely entertained by just how awful and cheesy the songs in Underground are, because it seems to fit in with the series.

8. Sonic X, easily. Underground can go die in a fire. Repeatedly.

9. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I'm mixed really, I've only seen odd episodes of Underground, outside the cheesy songs though, I think it was a matter of taste. Sonic X, even in the Japanese version, has some real wallbanger moments (some elements are actually better in the dub, for example episode 57 gives some establishment on Knuckles believing in Eggman all the time, the Japanese version has a broken aesop about how it's good for the team to use him as a patsy after berating him about Eggman using him in the same manner). Also from what I've seen of Underground it had a mood similar to SatAm, ie. a balance of darkness and whimsy at the same time, in comparison to Sonic X which fluctuated uneasily between juvenile and cartoon to outright grimdark.

Having lots of characters from the games isn't necessarily valid if they aren't developed much, half the cast in Sonic X were bland as hell, at least Underground gave personality to the title character. I admit I prefer some of X's original characters (Decoe, Bocoe and Bokkun beat Sleet and Dingo as Eggman minions to me).

Both shows kinda suck with battle scenes (Sonic vs Knuckles in both cases) Voices in both are iffy (Sonia's Urkel voice vs Gamma's ET voice) though I may be inclined to say the acting was better in Underground, even if Sonia was voiced by a boy he at least acted her okay, I go back to some episodes of Sonic X and am surprised how much the voice acting has improved since then, even Pollock sounds rather forced and bland in early episodes. Also while the dialogue in both was cheesy Underground could at least reframe from using a pun or one liner in EVERY DAMN SENTENCE.

As said however this is abiding by what I've seen of Underground which isn't a lot so if these statements aren't valid feel free to correct me.

10. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I tried watching Underground.

The songs were just disgusting and horrifying. The character designs are disgusting too, nothings appealing, etc.
    It's like DiC really didn't care if they were going to stain Sonics reputation or not.

At least Sonic X followed the games SOMEWHAT.

11. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Honestly, that's the one thing I don't like about DiC, or sometimes even when Westerners animate something from the East. They pretty much twist and change so much that it hardly ever matches the original. I mean, won't deny, I did enjoy Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, but that's due to the humor, and it was as close as to the games (having Chaos Emeralds and various Zones from Sonic 2, and even ending with them on a plane). The Super Mario series...I could never get into for pretty much the reasons above (script kind of sucked, nerfed Yoshi's IQ, designs weren't all that great, etc.). The Mega Man cartoon was fine and all, but...it still doesn't help the script had some pretty lame puns and what-not. =P

I'm not saying the shows themselves are bad. I did enjoy Underground a bit, and SatAM had its moments, but I'm not exactly 100% sure about the approaches they do, that's all.

Anyway, that's slightly off-topic.

12. Agent of Chaos

Agent of Chaos

Sonic X for sure, I'm probally in the minority but I enjoy it the best out of all the Sonic Cartoons. SatAM and AoSTH was one extreme or the other and both had their good points, with SatAM having deep more thoughtout stories even though it didn't involve much from the Genesis games, and with AoSTH it was just so off the wall that I couldn't help but watch the chaotic humor. I guess I like Sonic X the most cause it follows the games alot better than others and while it has its faults, like Chris... and the way they presented most of characters at times. The Mettrix season was really interesting and would have liked to see a Sonic game based off this. Though I got to admit one of the big turnoffs for me about SatAM was how the series ended cause it left you with such a cliffhanger and it was gone. I know it was based more off the Archie comics (which I haven't got to read into much) I would have liked to see it had more elements from the games from the times, like Knuckles and the Emeralds along wiht Metal Sonic and Mecha Sonic and so on. I liked some of the charaters from the series like Sally, Bunnie, and Uncle Chuck just it was so different from the games that it always left me with wanting more from the actual games.

And for Sonic Underground, when I first saw it I watched it once and that was it.

13. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    There should be a suicide option.

14. ExtendedAffinity

ExtendedAffinity

I was all hyped up to vote for Sonic X. Then I actually saw the poll, and realised I was limited to the horrible dub.

So I voted for Sonic Underground.

SU is silly, the songs are pretty bad, and when the three siblings laugh the distinction between the character's voices goes away leading to an overall creepy experience, but it's an entertaining show in general.

The dub of Sonic X isn't. This might just be bias though, since there's a clearly better version in existence. But I can't listen to Cream in the dub without clawing my ears off, and I'm probably the only person in the universe who likes Cream.

15. Mr. Pictures

Mr. Pictures

Oldbie
    OMG no way was the in the show! Really? It's hideous!

16. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

IIRC, it's a robot baby made by Eggman, the plan was to get the heroes to take it to the Sanctuary where they where keeping all the children, presumably so he could roboticize them all and blow it up (the robot has a bomb)

For a kids show, that's pretty freakin grim IMO *shrugs*

17. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    I got no clue why that baby is so hideous, because they draw the three siblings as babies just fine, and they're even pretty cute.

The music in Underground isn't that bad; it's the singing that sucks. If they were reperformed by someone with a modicum of singing ability, it would help a lot.

As for my vote: Both Underground and X suck, but I can enjoy myself while watching Underground, and at least it introduces some characters I can like (I think Manic is cool, so sue me). Sure it has some terrible moments, but not that much worse than your average subpar western cartoon like Mighty Max.

Sonic X, though, is a travesty that makes me cringe even thinking about it. I hate the way they portray every single character, and the designs for all the machines and background paintings are eye-numbingly boring.

18. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

It was intentionally hideous =P

19. Relick

Relick

England
    C++/DX10 Engine (not sonic related)
    Personally I prefer X. It was the one program that I actually looked forward to watching at 6 am every day. Underground was just urgh. I couldn't stand their voices, the singing was terrible and Knuckles was a girl. What was worse was I only enjoyed one episode (the final one) and that was ruined by the atrocious song that destroyed everything.
    Then again, the dubbed X is full of crap, but the Japanese X is frankly the same crap with the cream on top.

20. Lord Nero

Lord Nero

Resident Nintendo Hater. Member
    Claymont, DE.
    Let's Plays, Work and Animation.
    X 4kids or Underground, now thats one I had to think about ^^. When it comes to Sonic X, I've mainly watched it in sub form (really enjoyed the last season), I just thought the dub downright sucked, hard.
    On the other hand, I used to watch Underground all the time during its original run, but the musical segments really made me too ashamed to watch it with other people. So its a question of either shame or horrible dub?
    After a bit I voted Underground, the music parts are rather shameful, but the dub of X is bad enough imo to feel shame the whole time. Yeah, Underground.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.