don't click here

Sonic Fan Remix

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by pelikan13, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    This game DOES look fantastic, but aren't the killer whales are a bit much? It looks like it could get distracting when playing, but that's just me.

2. pyrotix

pyrotix

Brooklyn, NY
    Newmindspace
    the killer whales are awesome.

maybe there will be an ECCO cameo? :P

3. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    That would be interesting. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I think they're reminiscent of Sonic Adventure.

4. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    With little Japanese characters attacking them in the background. :v:

5. Volpino

Volpino

This guy's game doesn't have a Wiki page yet. Doesn't anyone think it should have one? (I would add one but I don't know if normal members can.)

6. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

Any member can edit the wiki, feel free to make him a page.

Also regarding this project, he hasn't replied to my last email I sent him a week or so ago. He used to respond to them so he might be busy with work. I haven't seen anything new of the project for a while though :( The last thing he showed me was the checkpoint I made for him in-game, but that was a week or so after this thread started.

[​IMG]

7. Volpino

Volpino

That checkpoint kicks ass on so many levels of awesome.

Well, even if the project died, it's worth making a page over. There's some seriously awesome art. I wonder if he's ever considered making a 3-D game. (As in, 360 degree movement, not with graphics.)

8. medj

medj

So what exactly is the status of this project? I remember being more interested in this than I was in Sonic 4 about a month ago or so.

9. pelikan13

pelikan13

Hey Guys, a few things about the game, it's now a collaborative project, Mercury has been porting his GM engine on to Unity with great results and this has given me the time to refine an polish up the art as well. For more details about the programming just ask him.

I'm not going to move on to other levels until we have a fully playable first level so I'm still experimenting with ways to streamline level creation and adding more content.

The game right now runs very smooth on my Satellite L555-11U and with some of the effects turned off it's even playable on an Acer One netbook, that should give you an indication of performance. Here are some new shots using Unity 3D pro trial:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Whale smashing. It's beautiful.

11. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

That's great. Mercury's GM engine was looking great, I hope he can do just as good of a job in Unity :).

12. medj

medj

Wow, the detail is just incredible, I can't wait to try out a demo of this.

13. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Well, it's actually been mostly a snap to get the 2D basics ported over, but when working in 3D there are a bunch of new headaches - even when constrained to a 2D plane at any one time.

I've been working in 2D forever, but I have very little experience with 3D at all. Vectors, Quaternions, Euler Angles... it's enough to overheat one's brain.

If anyone has any 3D engine experience at all, and would like to see this awesome project hurried along a little, could you please PM me? I would appreciate it a lot, to get some tips from someone who knows their way around polygons better than I do.

14. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    The second pic is a masterpiece.

15. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Holy jeez, this is beautiful.

Now I feel bad. ;_;

16. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I think it's amusing that this fangame has much better graphics than Sonic 4. >_> Screenshots 2 and 3 are extremely impressive.

17. Well, they're completely different styles. And I'd argue that Sonic 4 looks a li'l more cohesive than this. Though I don't mean to speak ill of this, it looks fantastic as well.

18. Synergy

Synergy

UK
    This is the sort of style I thought Sonic 4 was going to have after they announced Project Needlemouse, and then that needlemouse.com image turned up, despite later being debunked as the wrong project. :specialed: Looks really great, though the foliage on the platforms, and to an extent the vines, is really busy and detracts from the rest of the scene.

19. Bluetension

Bluetension

New Jersey
    Sonic Blackout (fangame)
    This project gets better every time I look at it. Keep up the good work pelican (is that what you want to be called?). Take your time also, no matter what people post, patience is a virtue and your game will end up being all the more better for it.

20. EDOOM

EDOOM

What an impressive game!! If things go along like this, I'm pretty sure this game is going to set a milestone in the history of fan-programming. Well done!!!