don't click here

How would you redesign Sonic the Hedgehog?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Pulse, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Approved! :thumbsup:

I'm a hardcore classic Sonic fan and I very much like this design as a compromise between old and new. If only Sonic 4 used this model...

2. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    No I like it too :3

3. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    You've successfully managed to get his spikes to look good from both the front and side, with vectors that could realistically be modeled. :thumbsup:

Also, the fact that they're short gives him that no-nonsense vibe from the OVA, which I love.

4. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    [​IMG]

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I find something wrong with this. Sonic looks too mean, really angular, and his chest is sticking out for some reason. The height just doesn't work with shorter spikes in my opinion, especially Sonic CD intro/Sonic OVA triangle spikes.

Honestly if they just removed the eyebrow thing from the modern Sonic model and make his spikes just a bit shorter/stiffer I'd be a happy person.

6. This is my attempt at a classic sonic redesign, Keep in mind this has not been finalised.
    [​IMG]
    The art style is a mix from sonic CD and sonic 3, any feed back would be appreciated.

7. JoycieC

JoycieC

United Kingdom
    Not really working on anything tbh, but I do some fanart now and then lol.
    Hey, new guy here, thought I'd join in :)

I saw an earlier post of a Sonic the Hedgehog Archie Comic cover, and thought "Well maybe I should mix that up a little"

So I decided to go for a similar pose, thin Sonic's body out a little and give him the Sonic CD/Ova Boxer-Gloves that I just love so much for some reason!

I couldn't be bothered to finish the coloring but I gave him a half-done airbrush in Paint Tool SAI.

[​IMG]

8. serpx

serpx

Going for the next-generation look:

[​IMG]

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

That's not bad at all, but Sonic characters should never be drawn with necks. Makes them look kinda creepy.

10. ProfessorZolo

ProfessorZolo

Really? It looks fine to me... Although I suppose I can see what you mean. Thing is- if I changed those... Well, he'd only be one or the other really, wouldn't he? Maybe longer spines would work better, or being slightly shorter might help... I dunno.

Still, thanks for your opinion. I'll be sure to take that into account.

11. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    When viewed from profile, the middle quill you see is usually at the same height as Sonic's eye. Sonic's head is kind of tilted forwards.

12. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    [​IMG]

13. Zallirog

Zallirog

Uh, what were we talking about? Member
    Here is a quick sketch of an idea I had for a pseudo mix between new and old. [​IMG]

14. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Kinda reminds me of the way Richard Elson used to draw Sonic XD Before he had to start "sonic adventure'ing" him, sorta halfed with Sonic CD/the movie

[​IMG]

I don't mean to gush, but STM was like, the best way I ever saw him drawn, Tails too lol

15. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    [​IMG]

16. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Those are some amazingly awesome designs there, KKM. I really like both Nack and Knuckles very much, but Bark looks a little too psycho-crazy (I know you were going for rabid, but that just seems a little too far to me).

And you actually made new Amy somewhat adorable. Good job! Also including the Blue One himself on the compliment list; he just screams cool. And Tails is adorable again too. Wow, I just think you seriously hit these guys spot-on (probably besides Bark and Bean. Bean for reasons that he seems to overlap and clutter everything).

I'd say do Blaze next. That would be awesome. :3

17. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Based on Bark's animations from Sonic the Fighter, I think he's supposed to be a pun iceman.

18. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    Oh, that's because I'm not posting every individual image, though maybe I should.

Next is Honey, then the Chaotix (though I'm keeping them basically as they are now, I like them) maybe Silver Sonic and Mecha Sonic... then Sophocles? Dunno. Then I start the next gen cast- Big, Gamma, Chaos, Tikal, Shadow, Rouge, Silver, Vanilla, Cream, Blaze... Going to be a huge lineup when I'm finished.

19. Uncle Otis

Uncle Otis

Uses too many goddamn commas Member
    [​IMG]

More of a conservative regression than anything else, but I prefer the compact design Sonic had in the Genesis days to the lanky sprinter he is today. His limbs are meant to be a little thicker and his hands and feet a little bigger than they would normally be. His quills and shoes are much less pointy.

As far as personality goes, I image that my reiteration of Sonic is a bit of a bratty kid, who confronts Eggman because he's a bossy authority figure, rather than to stop his polluting of the environment, capture of animals, and conquest of the world.

20. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Kinda took point from Zolo, did a front side and back, I don't know what im doing, but I just couldn't get the side profile how I wanted it :/

[​IMG]

The back is stunning though if I say so myself lol This also brings the revelation that drawing Sonic from the front, side and back, are the worst angles to draw him from, there so dull,

QUICK I'll doodle something more interesting and more to my taste!

[​IMG]

ahhh ,much better *sighs*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.