don't click here

Sonic Unleashed

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Adamis, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Forgive me; I'm not used to discussing modern consoles, and lapsed into thinking there were debug tools. ;P

2. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Sorry for the bump. But remember the update file for the 360 version that came out a few days after release? Here's that file:

http://ifile.it/gfr1oqb

I think it's the second one that came out. What's weird about the file itself is this:

Sub_Layer2_Set.set.xml..................V......^......#n-o. -o. Sub_Layer3_Set.set.xml..................V......a........-o. -o. evl_sea_obj_st_waterCircle.model........`......b.......V-o. -o. sea_water_circle.material...............Y......c.......r-o. -o.

I'm not sure how these patch files work, but what you're seeing here might be unencrypted files. I'm not sure if I'm right though, so we might need someone like Jimmy to take a look. What the patch fixes is still unknown (since we can't directly view the files or see the changes after/before the patch is set in place), but at least we have a rough estimate now that we can see each file it modifies.

3. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

This would be the patch that made the beta Werehog section in Adabat have proper water textures and such isn't it? Those file names all suggest that.

4. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    I actually got everything extracted, sorta...

You can grab them here.

They're still encrypted. That, or I extracted them incorrectly. The XEX seems valid though (just needs to be decrypted, which you can do with some tools out there). There were multiple instances of system.set.xml, so I just renamed each one as I went a long.

5. Dannyboy

Dannyboy

Children, Children, don't be scared. Member
    Toledo, OH
    Level Concepts
    So... I sold my 360, and after having beaten and downloaded all of Unleashed 360, I bought it on my new PS3. Now, I'm playing through again and wishing I had all of the DL content...

Am I a retard or just a fanboy, because I haven't quite figured it out yet. I'm trying to send Sega the point of "for the love of Fuck, please make the next Sonic game play like this one without the Werehog." I should think buying it twice shows my love for the game and helps my establishment of this point.

By the way... PS3s are awesome. :)

6. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Uhm, but the PS3 version has more problems than the Xbox360 one, or is it the other way around?

7. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    the only problems I noticed in the PS3 version was the lag was more obvious due to the framerate not being capped at 30

8. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Since this topic is bumped anyway, all DLC is now 40% off on PSN.

9. ancara

ancara

Well, I might as well give my thoughts on the game itself. Consider this "Ancara's oppinion on SU" if you will. :v:

Anyways, my thoughts on this. Basically, this is a really fun game, much better than 06. But just saying that wouldn't be enough. I'm gonna break it down point-by-point.

First of all, I love the story and how back-to-basics it actually is. Eggman's trying to take over the world and you, as Sonic the Hedgehog, have to stop him. The werehog thing may be a turn-off to some people, but I was actually interested in it. It was basically 'this is what would happen if Dark Gaia energy got into Sonic' which it did. Chip was also interesting, and a pretty good form of comedy relief, but seriously, where does he get all that chocolate from? Probably better off not knowing. But anyways, Sonic had to not only remove this werehog form so he could be back to normal, but also put the world back to normal by getting power back to the chaos emeralds. That seems to be a lot of work to do for one hedgehog, but he can(and by the end does) do it.

Speaking of the hedgehog, I like that he looks more cartoony than his 06 look, which seemed a little too realistic for my tastes. The same(the cartoony look) could be said for the rest of the characters in the game, be it Sonic and the main cast in the game, or the NPCs that inhabit the hub areas you go through. Each character actually has their own little personality you can be via the text they say to you. My personal favorite character though would be Professor Pickle. He was a really likeable guy, with helping Sonic out by giving him info or with items(if you give him souvenirs), his love of cucumber sandwiches(I actually went to try one after I finished playing it just to see what one tasted like, and it was good), or his gentle-but-stern nature he has. He was simply a really likable guy.

Anyways, onto music. As with any other Sonic the Hedgehog game, Sonic Team does not dissapoint in the audio department. From calm but still energtic tune of Windmill Isle, to the African beat of Savanna Citadel, to even the jazzy and exciting song that is Skyscraper Scamper, there should be a song for everybody to enjoy. The Night Stages have a more calm and relaxing tune to them, but are still just as good as some of the other tunes. The Hub areas also have their own music, and they fit nicely in, fitting the current area you're in.

Now onto what's really important: The gameplay, the day and night stages. Let's first focus on the day stages. As you would expect from 'the world's fastest hedgehog', he moves really fast. But unlike what some may think, it's not all just simply running forward the whole time. There's also traps, platforming sections and other things to make sure you take it more carely. At first there's not much in this case, but as the game progresses, there's more platforming, traps and baddies waiting for you to deal with. The biggest case of this is Eggmanland, with plenty of tricks and traps to truely challenge your skills. As for controlling the little blue 'hog, thankfully it controlls well(at least for me), and button presses are as responsive as they should be. There may be a time or two where it may not respond, but as far as I've seen it's a pretty rare thing to happen.

With the day stages out of the way, let's get to the night stages, where you use the Werehog. These are really fun, and can test your platforming skills pretty well. Even though he moves not as far as the blue blur, he can move pretty fast(when you're dashing). I loved the idea of using stretchy and strong arms to be able to create some interesting gimicks for each level(levers, grabbing things to get across pits, grabbing and pulling poles to zing across the area). The Werehog controls pretty well, and the only time where button presses may be a problem is sometimes where trying to grab(although that may be due to not being close or far enough to press it at the right time). This is an idea I actually liked, and should most likely be given to another character such as Knuckles(to compliment what he can do currently).

I should now talk about the Hub areas and medals. The Hub areas are a nice little place to talk to the locals and do missions. The missions can vary based on whether it was day or night, or if certain missions have already been done. They're a nice little side thing to do, and give you something to do after you've done the main story. As for the medals, there are two kinds of medals: Sun and Moon. Each level requires a certain sun or moon 'level' to unlock it. You'll find them around the Hub area, around where the entrances to the levels are at, in the levels themselves and even in some levels. This gives you a chance to explore a bit and try to find those elusive medals. It also gives you an incentive for looking for them(besides an achievement or two) : Besides the main day and night level of each area, there are several other levels per area you could unlock. So it gives you a reason to do so.

So in general, this was a good game. although not a perfect game, it's still good enough to play that should give you plenty of fun(whether it be by missions, talking to the NPCs, going through the levels or by just simply enjoying the music). I'd say this game gets an 8/10 from me for certain. Hopefully you guys think my opinion was okay. :3

10. McSnapple

McSnapple

A Misereable Little Pile of Secrets Banned
    Trying to win Blue Sphere...all 100,000,000 + levels...
    What happened to this thread? Did Sonic 4 kill it? :v:

11. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Maybe because there isn't really much left to discuss? We must have all given our opinions and stuff.

12. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I'm thinking about getting a Wii. Seeing videos of Unleashed on it, it's just me or Chun-nan looks terrible there? The rest looks fine though.

13. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Unleashed Wii would've been fantastic if they just could've.. you know.. removed the Werehog's levels completely, made the cutscenes skippable, made the hubworlds interactable and tweaked Sonic's movement some. Really, Werehog levels take up 85% of the game in the Wii version. And daytime stages in the Wii version technically to me had the best version of the boost (makes you use it in portions and makes you Spindash), and drifting doesn't snake as bad. Plus, their level designs are much more open and filled with multiple routes than the 360 version's levels do. It's just that Sonic's normal analog movement in Unleashed for Wii is sort of crap and feels like a hard-to-steer bar of soap.

14. McSnapple

McSnapple

Unleashed on the Wii (Sonic's portions) have more platforming and less "LOL SPEED BOOST WIN" feelings. Also, Holska on the Wii version is far superior than the 360/PS3 version in my opinion.

15. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Oh shit, that sucks D:

I like Sonic Rush/Adventure because of the speedspeedspeedspeedspeedspeedspeedspeedspeedspeedspeedspeedspeedspeedspeed thing.

Also:

[​IMG]
    YESSS!!!

Hehe.

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Really? I always felt that the Wii version focused much more on running in straight lines and then homing along a chain of enemies. I can't stand it. Chun-nan is probably one of the worst stages though.

17. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Now I'm confused lol.

18. corneliab

corneliab

Err, have you even PLAYED the 360/PS3 versions? That statement is complete bullshit.

The day stages in the Wii version have almost zero platforming, and base themselves almost entirely on jamming the boost button, drifting corners, and (as it's been said) using the homing attack on chains of enemies.

Seriously. Compare Adabat and Eggmanland between versions, or just take a look at some of the 360/PS3's minor and dlc acts. It's obvious which version has more of a focus on platforming.

19. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Now I'm happy!

But Chun-nan still sucks.

Only PS2's Chun-nan is worse xD.

20. McSnapple

McSnapple

Yes, I own the PS3 version too.

I've been known to have gratuitous amounts of shit being lodged in my mouth.

(Is this just McSnapple's ploy to get this thread back up and running? The world may never kn--)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.