don't click here

Badniks & Bosses Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I agree with this thought as well. If the fireball was in the shape of the original fireball then it would be on the right track.

2. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    I agree. That mock-up there is sensual. I'm Very impressed by it :D

3. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    I'll go ahead and bring this up again before it's too late. CN, yours is better all around, but I think the main reason steve (and I) feel the older submission looked closer to the original wasn't because of the eyebrows or the pupils. It's because it has no shadow.

Your eye shape and interpretation of the eyebr- grey outlines is perfect, but it's the round shadow on the eyes that throws the look off. I suggest making it smaller or better yet make it follow the angled shape of the eye socket (that is what's casting the shadow in the first place anyway).

Edit: After zooming in on yours I noticed it already has a sharp shadow follwing the eys socket and then a second rounder shadow. If that's what you prefer, then would you mind lightening up the rounder shadow a bit.

4. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

Sonic 2 HD Sprite Artist Member
    Thanks for clarifying that. Here he is with those shadows almost completely removed. Let me know how you like him.

[​IMG]

5. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    I think it's an improvement, but I'd like to hear another's opinion as well.

6. I think it's an improvement as well. ;)

So, this will be used for the see-saw as well?

7. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    I guess so... But this reminds me, how about when you launch the ball up, it spins in circles? Physics stuff.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    If I'm not mistaken, it wouldn't even make half a circle when thrown at that angle, according to physics.

Since it might look a bit odd having that thing tilted only when it's on the left side of the seesaw, it would also have to be tilted on the right side.

I don't think it's a bad idea, but it wouldn't look like the "head" is looking at Sonic anymore, if it's always looking a bit upwards... Unless his eyes were actually following Sonic around. :)

9. Just casting my vote in favor of this one too.

10. Daveydude

Daveydude

The ball leaves the seesaw when it comes to a sudden stop due to the other side hitting the ground (in practicality). The ball is held in place by a near right angle so when the ball leaves the see saw from lets say the left side, it would quite likely obtain a decent spin in the anti clockwise direction. The ball prior to leaving the seesaw is traveling in an arc pushing it up against that side. This would in fact create a decent spin.

Worth considering adding the spin.

I would say I like that flame, however it isn't a dark enough red. Needs to be darker by a bit. The bright colour fits with Hill Top Zone, so not too dark and maybe changed in shape a little. Personally I think a rounder shape while different from the original sprite, looks better and feels more practicle.

I can't say I prefer the other style as much.

Oh and hi! I am new to these forums. :)

11. zemulii

zemulii

Hi, welcome! Well there's a fair bit of lava in the stage and I don't think the lava will be quite that bright. So yeah I think more red to match closer to the (probable) colour of the lava would be nice.

12. DistroyA

DistroyA

I WOD LICK A SONIC 2 ROMS Member
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    My own artwork
    If anything, the colours on those fireballs that you're referring to are incorrect in order, as the brightest part of a flame is the source of the flame, and the outer flames should be darker, such as oranges and reds. Whoever rendered that particular fireball needs to go back to it and change the colours, as it looks so inaccurate.

The shape of it is nice, although I think they should be a smaller size to accommodate the space between the badnik's main body and the fireballs.

13. zemulii

zemulii

Yeah it could definitely be a bit smaller. Although isn't this particular version darker in the middle due to the "rock" inside (I think it's still there in that one right?)?

14. DistroyA

DistroyA

I WOD LICK A SONIC 2 ROMS Member
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    My own artwork
    Rock or no rock, the center should be much brighter than that. It looks wrong currently. Wrong enough to almost infuriate me to be honest (Yeah, incorrections in an image can piss me off that bad. XD)

If there has to be a rock in the center, then sure, add some specks of darker red/brown/whatever to make the rock's presence be known, but making the flame brighter, even on the outer edges, to compensate makes the fireball look like shit.

EDIT: Scratch revamping every part of the fireball, and just make the outer edges redder than the rest. That way, it'll look perfect.

15. Ladies, this ones for you... ;)

[​IMG]

16. NOW we're talking!! That's gorgeous, and fits much better with the style. Do you think you'll be able to animate it?

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Looks good, but I don't think it will ever animate as good as the CG fireball. =\

Now, if sigmax2 could tweak his version to look more like subsubstantive's...

18. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Gambit, instead of me having to rely on that screenshot I did of the badnik to do the mockup on, could you give us the same mockup you've posted before, but without any balls on there - so that we can experiment with it?

Anyway, here's my usual comparison between the 2:

Great balls of fire!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I didn't make that one, but I'll toss something together for ya quick.

Well this took for fucking ever, but here's a more official mock up. It isn't perfect, but eh. It'll work.

[​IMG]

20. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

Sonic 2 HD Sprite Artist Member
    Looking great Gambit!

Edit: to make it a little easier for people.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.