don't click here

Played Sonic 1, 2, and 3&K

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Skeledroid, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Yeah, that's the one I got first try.

Maybe it's because I use the insta-shield so much. It was really useful in the first half of the fight.

2. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    I've had Mega Collection lodged in my GCN for about a week now, and I've been playing through all of them when I get free time.

I did a run of Sonic 3's special stages, trying for the Perfect bonuses. I had to try the last one three times, but it was really fun. I also did a run of the Sonic 2 Special Stages, getting them in Emerald Hill (as Knuckles, since they helpfully reduce the Rings needed and also let you keep your Ring when you return from the special stage). It's really weird to play Super Knuckles with the Sonic 2 Super Sonic theme playing - I associate it so strongly with Sonic!

I also played through the first two zones of Spinball, LOL.

3. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    I don't think I've ever actually got all the emeralds in a run of S1 or S2.

Huh.

4. RoseHudson

RoseHudson

Yep I meant 06 and the fact I couldnt remember the name of Secret Rings proves my dislike of it :words:

5. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

Finished Sonic 2 just now with all the emeralds. Used saves to retry the special stages over and over. Only used 1 save during the rest of the game, when I ran out of lives at Death Egg. Loaded the save and beat Robotnik with the first life.

6. Malgra

Malgra

Studium Member
    I just finished playing through S2 Knuckles literally half an hour ago (I couldn't sleep, oy). Played through S1 and S2 (With Sonic only) yesterday, so I guess I'm sort of playing through them chronologically.

Getting all the Chaos Emeralds using Knuckles is too easy imo.

7. Mercury

Mercury

Location Location
    AeStHete
    ...and it's too hard in the original. I really wish they hadn't dropped the Ring requirements so much for Knuckles. They only needed to be like 10 lower, not 40!

8. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I just played through Chaotix about a week ago.

9. ddrmaxromance

ddrmaxromance

I actually just started playing Sonic CD (PC) again since I haven't played it in years. I actually made it past that damn boss in Collision Chaos. :P

One thing I did with Sonic 1 was play it, but I touched the cartridge to try and "freeze" it (like you would in Sonic 3D Blast to access the Lv Select), and what happened was the music speed doubled, it would return to normal speed, and then would only play that level's song through everything else. It was kinda weird, but probably had something to do with the Z80.

I also played Sonic 2 on Xbox Live....and there were again, no players for 2-Player mode.

10. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

I'll play you sometime

11. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    Fun fact: The ring requirements aren't actually lowered. The increased amounts in the original are because you play as both Sonic and Tails. Playing either of them alone gives you the same ring requirements as Knuckles.

12. Some were lowered further still with knux, particularily in Stage 7

13. Malgra

Malgra

Studium Member
    I never found the Special Stages all that hard in S2, again probably down to the fact I wasted spent years of my childhood playing the early games.

Currently re-playing my way through S3k as Sonic, up to Sandopolis with all but 1 of the Super Emeralds collected.

Edit: Playing through it has reminded me of how awesome this music is.

14. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I'm surprised that everyone has trouble with the special stages in S2, there is only one that gets me from time to time the third to last one. The final boss in S2 tends to get me alot, and I think I only beat it once without cheating and or using savestates. D: I do plan on playing each of these games, but on my actual Genesis. My computer likes to shut off while I play a Genesis game. >.>

15. Mercury

Mercury

Location Location
    AeStHete
    I made an ASM hack of Sonic 2 for myself, lowering all the Ring requirements in the Special Stages to make an "Easy Mode" I could play leisurely.

The funny thing is, when I replayed each stage to gauge their difficulty and find out how many Rings I should reduce them by, I aced them. Apparently the practice I got paid off...

Oh well, it was fun to make the hack, anyway. And it might still come in handy someday when I'm a little old man with shaky hands. =P

16. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I personally found the Sonic 2 special stages the most difficult, due to the fact that there is technically an unavoidable end, and therefore gives a time limit, thus making less room for error. In the Sonic 1 special zones and Blue Sphere, one can theoretically go on forever without ever losing, perpetually giving you a chance at winning.

17. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

still got a copy of the hack?

18. Dude, that hit zone is microscopic. That's nothing to be ashamed of. :)

It's even worse with Knuckles, too.

19. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    I wish I could play 3&K on my Genesis, but sadly I only own Sonic 1 and 2. Otherwise I would try to go through them all. I don't like emulating games I don't own, so that's out of the question. I don't have Mega Collection either, so I can't play Sonic 3 & Knuckles that way unless I go to a friends house and play his copy. I will eventually buy both games, I just don't know how soon that will be.

Also, I'm thinking of doing a Let's Play of Sonic 2 just to show you all how it's DONE! I always considered Sonic 2 the easiest of the Mega Drive games, including special stages. I'm a bit surprised at how much trouble some of the people here have on that game.

20. Do you have an Xbox360? You can buy Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles for $5 each on XBLA and then play them locked on. The only drawback is that, for some reason that can only be described as pure idiocy, you can't play co-op. (Sonic 3 by itself has co-op, but S3K doesn't. Considering that you launch S3K from inside of Sonic & Knuckles, I'll bet some moron forgot to add the code to allow for co-op, since Sonic & Knuckles by itself is a single-player game.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.