don't click here

My theroy about which levels replaced GCZ

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Sky Shark, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sky Shark

Sky Shark

Sonic 1 Rehash - I'm not saying its canned, I'm planning on some work on it this summer.
    I belive that Genocide City Zone was caned before the Beta version of sonic2 , so that would explain why the level's empty.But Sonic Team wasn't far enough or had decied on replacemnt zones(Sky Chase and Wing Fortess Zones)to place them in beta.Also time restrictions could have postponed Sky Chase and Wing Fortress Zones to only apper in the final.So I belive that Genocide City Zone was split into Sky Chase and Winged Fortress Zones.Those zones would have taken place after Genocide City Zone anyways.

2. Sonic McTails

Sonic McTails

Oldbie
    Won't you like to know
    Sonic Classic/SSonicNet
    Last I checked, both SCZ and WFZ have there music and levelslots (they can't been seen in level select). Personally, I t hink GCZ might have just been a name they choose, or something, and there wasn't any level

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It could have been the old name of any other level, just like happens with Dust Hill Zone.

4. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Banned
    I have an idea but need to rethink my theory by staring at the level lists =P

5. Sky Shark

Sky Shark

Sonic 1 Rehash - I'm not saying its canned, I'm planning on some work on it this summer.
    Well its only my theory,but I didn't know Sky Chase, and Winged fortess Zones had some stuff in the Beta.*Crosses out the part that said they probly only had final testing*

6. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    It's Aquatic Ruin. Craig said in his interview that there was an Atlantis like theme in the game that never got very far. THAT was Genocide City... BUT they used some of the ideas from the Atlantis thing and put it in Aquaitc Ruin.

There ya go.

7. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    I'd never thought of that. Atlantis was an entire civilization being wiped out, a.k.a. Genocide. And that explain why people say the future zone of GCZ is Aquatic Ruin. Flippin heck, I'd never considered that before.

8. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    I always liked Aquatic Ruin.... then again, I like anything that looks classical ruins, has lots of water, and lots of greenery! ^^;

Back on topic....*coughs*

GCZ could have even been a test arena name, but, besides the hint at anceint ruins, we have no clue.....

9. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    But genocide is the systematic destruction of a civilisation, race or group. Not a civilisation being wiped out. If your definition were correct then the depletion of the ozone layer causing the death of every human on the planet would be classed as genocide when it's not.

Still, Genocide City never at all existed. It was just a level slot and a space in a level select.

10. Wetflame

Wetflame

No, I think it makes sense. In Sonic Adventure, we see the Echidna race was wiped out by Chaos (a Water God), but not the Chao.

I get the idea the Sonic 2 backstory influenced that.

11. Kampfer

Kampfer

The 2-D games really didn't have a back story. It was a simple upfront storyline

"Dr. Robotnik/Eggman wants to take over the world using th Choas Emeralds, get the emeralds and stop him."

That's it folks, no back story. It's a platform game, not an RPG. And S3&K didn't have that much of a back story either, just little cutscenes that transitioned you through levels.

IMO, if it isn't in the manual's little story intro, it ain't part of the story.

12. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    Uh... a storyline is one which actively progresses through the game in a logical fashion. That's a backstory; it sets the reason for gameplay and lets the game get on with it.

13. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Yeah, you could be right.
    Dust Hill proved that you cannot judge a zone by it's name very easily.

14. Wetflame

Wetflame

No, if you read the manual (Japanese one most likely) it says there was a myterious race in the Aquatic Ruin Zone who were wiped out by an unknown force.

15. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    So we're back to "do we believe the Japanese or the English manual?".

The simple solution is you believe neither. The two were written by different groups and thus neither can be truly trusted as the "correct" one.

And thus we're back to what I've been claiming ever since I played Sonic Jam; there is no definitive storyline.

16. Kampfer

Kampfer

Do you have a transcript or something that I could read? I'd like to read it myself.

17. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    This is all a matter of opinion. One person may believe the Japanese manual because the Japanese made Sonic thus their storyline must be what they wanted. Or you could believe the English storyline because it was the one released to us thus that is how our game went. However, in my opinion, the Japanese one is probably the more trustworthy as the game was made by the Japanese and they made the first storyline so that is how it would go. Then it reached translation and we butchered it. So then we have this big debate that we can never reach an answer to, so it is a matter of opinion. Really, though, you have to look at every possible angle. It is possible that Genocide City did become Aquatic Ruin, because the race of the city gets destroyed, then the city, then it becomes ruins. It goes quite systematically, if you look at it that way. And this is what I am believing, as it is the most logical answer formed. If you can come up with proof that it never existed, you tell me. The "it's just a level select spot" doesn't mean much to me, since we have only one prototype and we can only get info from that one. And really, if it was just a level select filler, why did they have it? It doesn't make sense that Sonic Team would do that, so the most logical answer reached is that it was at one point a level that was scrapped early in development. When someone gives me concrete evidence that it never ever existed, then you can say what you will. But if it's just "it isn't in our beta", that has already been explained.

18. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    Sonic 2 was made in America though.

I stick to my view that Genocide City never existed and that any theories which make use of it are hogwash.

19. Wetflame

Wetflame

The main reason to take the Japanese one as the "right" one is because it's the one Sonic Team accept in either Western or Eastern nowadays.

I think this is evidence enough.

That and the "Eggman 01" in Sonic 2 WFZ.

20. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    I know! But the point is it was made by the Japanese.

One reason. Heroes and the Adventures all follow the same story as in Japan now.

Another reason. If this was fully American material, it would have said "Robotnik 01".

The point is, as my post says, if you can't give me any evidence that is is not a level besides "it's not in our beta", then don't try and convince me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.