don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Classic

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Hez, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Fixed it...heh

2. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

Oh shit, I'm not sure anyone will be able to beat that.

3. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    Hahahaa! Top work hez :) BTW I tried the Full Screen Exe and couldnt get Full Screen on my machine. Running Windows 7 Home Premium. Am I being a tard or is there something else I have to do? I tried ALT+ENTER which you would normally use for KEGA Fusion and various other Emulators but it made no effect.

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I lol'd HARD. Kudos, didn't see that coming XD

5. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    LOL! Wow.

I was actually expecting it to move around and try to kill Sonic, but just the visual was good enough.

6. Lord Kanti

Lord Kanti

Edit: Nvm. It works. Holy crap~! @_@

7. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

I have no idea what's going on. Member
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    KEGA Fusion's default fullscreen button is Esc... Don't know where you got Alt+Enter from.

EDIT: Also, I realize how it could sound like a bad troll saying that Esc is the fullscreen button, but it actually is. Just try it. I've pressed it many times trying to close the rom or whatever, and it ends up fullscreening it instead, and it pisses me off.

8. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Alt+Enter is the most universally accepted key combination used to switch between windowed and fullscreen in a lot of programs since at least two decades ago. As a matter of fact, you can use Alt+Enter in Kega Fusion as well. The fact that you can use Esc in Kega Fusion is highly nonstandard.

9. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    [​IMG]
    What is he up to? lol me.

10. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    Thanks for the Backup nineko :) I knew ALT+ENTER did it for KEGA....

So its ESCAPE for Sonic Deh Hedgehog Classic Hez's Awesomeness Edition then?

11. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    I have no idea on how awesome it is... I took an atention on the videos... MAN, I GOT SO MUCH IMPRESSED!!!
    Definitely, the best work you did in my opinion was in the Desert level. I loved that art, I loved that music, everything there is fuckin' great.

12. This game is pretty awesome so far. :v:
    I've been following its progress on your YouTube channel.
    It does lag a bit from time to time, but it's playable, and enjoyable, too.
    I've also come across some bugs; general physics oddities, which I honestly don't really remember.
    Another example: I was playing with my joypad, paused the game, and wasn't able to unpause it.

I've noticed you're using MMF2, did you ever try to export this with the HWA beta of MMF2?
    Just a thought, it should greatly increase the performance.

Anyway, looking forward to more news on this.

13. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I can't get MMF2 HWA...unless someone wants to send it to me? =D

(It tells me I don't have MMF whenever I try and install it)

14. I'm not sure what you're trying to imply, but you should be able to install HWA (Make sure to download the correct version, Standard or Dev) without any problems unless your copy of MMF is pirated.

15. MastaSys

MastaSys

This is really looking amazing, probably one of the best fan games I ever seen.
    I'll be waiting for the full version for sure. :)

16. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    pirated? What's pirated? I have never heard of piriting? Like the skull and cross bones? Because I would never pirate software...ever...¬_¬

17. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    It may just be me, but every time I see those two crates, I always think that they're in the foreground at first. It's confusing to try and jump on them only to realize that they're in the background.

18. Baby Ghost

Baby Ghost

Put Tails in every game! Member
    I tried to download the demo (which I very much want to do) but the MediaFire page just sits there forever and ever without providing a download link. Been waiting for half an hour. :P

19. iojnekns

iojnekns

trouble keeps you runnin' faster Member
    Actually, I had the exact same problem (mediafire download continually timing out) which is rather annoying, perhaps you should consider some alternative hosting - I did get it in the end, I suspect during an off-peak time.

I think this is very probably the first fangame I've ever tried out and I am dimly aware of my own prejudice. I decided to try and share some of my thoughts on the release -

- Okay, I'll get this out of the way early because it's obvious and it's been said before. Physics. I'm not clear on the level of coding which writing a fangame entails, but whatever it is, I fully respect the decent attempt at imitating the classic physics. My problem (and I suppose this is intimately related to the fact that I have always played hacks rather than fangames where accurate physics aren't an issue at all,) is that the art itself is ripped so accurately from Sonic 1 and co that to be playing that Sonic sprite, running around levels with familiar objects, badniks, HUD and the rest of the faithfully recreated elements, that even slight discrepencies in the physics feel jarring. There's not really anything you can do about this short of translating the project to a hack, which I read hints about anyway. In a way it's almost as though you're a victim of your own success - the recreation is so accurate that slight inaccuracies become more noticable

- Having said that, the physics play well in their own right - the only reason I even notice the physics is my own expectation - as a game it works perfectly. The level design was excellent, with classic Sonic pacing and design shrewdly observed and reproduced. The only shame is that you didn't attempt more - you are unfettered by limitations, so can create any enemy you want, yet you stick with existing ones (although it's nice to see some love for the rollbug!) I have to say, even though I know it was a first zone, it was preposterously easy.

- The boss was a pleasant surprise, quite a nice idea despite being very straightforward and easy. I blew through the demo in a couple of minutes - I'm now not surprised you felt that 1 act was not enough - it really wasn't.

- 43MB for a 1 zone demo?!?! It consists mostly of graphics that were ripped from a 4MB ROM!!! It doesn't matter to me - it's not a matter of storage or bandwidth, it just seems preposterous is all.

The final word: the game seems very well executed and it definitely has ambition but it's a shame it doesn't have a little more ambition really - to create rather than remix elements of classic Sonic. As it is I would enjoy it as a momentary distraction - but I don't want to end on a low - you should certainly be proud of what you have achieved here.

20. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    I think that's the music folder (BG_Music), which is, installed, 33MB.

Btw, I may be finally able to play it today myself, as I could finally organize a 1024x768 screen. =D