don't click here

The Younger Generation

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Matwek, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hybrid Project Alpha

Hybrid Project Alpha

It's what's for dinner Oldbie
    Douglas, NB
    Getting a life
    Any kid who likes those old-ass Genesis games is a nerd

Not that there's anything wrong with that >_>

2. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I've got a 7-year old nephew who has one of those Radica Megadrive TV Games for his very own portable TV. His mother, my sister, has an X-Box 360 on a 50-inch plasma TV in the lounge.

It warms my heart immensely to know that he prefers "little Sonic" to "big Sonic". <3

3. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    Awwwwww.

4. Emerl

Emerl

Upon reading this topic, I proceeded to ask my 12-year-old brother about Sonic. The conversation went like this:

Me: So, with Sonic, do you like the newer games better or the older games?
    Brother: The new ones. (tone of voice implied 'obviously')
    Me: Why?
    Brother: Better graphics, better gameplay-
    Me: ... You know if you say 'better gameplay' in front of ANY other Sonic fan, you'd be lynched, right?
    Brother: Why? It does!
    Me: In the older games, you have to -earn- your speed by playing well. In the newer ones, you just press a button.
    Brother: Um what? No you don't!
    (we continue like this for a bit longer)
    Me: You know what? Forget it. *walks off*

But then again, all that anti-Mario propaganda I did on him years ago seems to have worked. He won't so much as touch a Mario game. Then again, he's no good at them anyway.

5. MastaSys

MastaSys

Differences and tastes aside.

I'm just glad, even with everyone different points of view (classic fans, newbies, etc...),
    we all just love to run with an blue hedgehog with an plastic controller on our hands.

6. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA

I wish more people followed such a philosophy.

7. I taught some anime style drawing classes to 8-13 year olds, and they all loved Sonic X. They'd never seen the classic sonic, so I showed them how to draw it, then brought in some stuff.

I was proud, they all liked the older stuff more.

Except one faggot who liked shadow more than sonic.

::shakes fist::

8. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I saw this one kids in Best Buy playing Sonic Unleashed on a Kiosk, he had a hard time getting the Homing Attack to work, I helped him out.

Also saw some little kid get excited upon seeing Sonic in a Gamestop.

9. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    I remember seeing a little kid in EB games getting excited over Next Gen. He was crying "Soooonic! Sadow! A white sooooonic!"
    His mum wouldn't let him buy it. :argh: (I know it's Next Gen but it's still a fun game for kids).

I also have an 11 year old cousin who likes Sonic 3&K, Advance and Rush Adventure. He hates 3D Sonic as he finds it hard to control.

10. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    I have a six-year-old nephew who likes to run up to my room and player video games whenever his family comes over.
    He's played Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, some rom hacks of the aforementioned, (I should show him Megamix sometime!), Sonic Adventure DX, Sonic Advance, and Sonic Battle, though he's not too good at most of them. (He's not too good at video games in general, but that could change in the future.)

11. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    My little cousin (who is now 14) started out basically playing Sonic Heroes. He only ever discovered the origins of Sonic when I brought over Mega Collection one day. He liked it, but kept asking what any given character's special move was, to which I had to explain that all you did was jump. Bear in mind, the kid was about eight at the time, and was used to the games of today where every character has like five things they can do for each button.

Since then, he's become significantly more knowledgeable and thoroughly enjoys the Genesis era games. As far as I'm concerned, my intervention prevented a tragedy.

12. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Bravo, Vaiz.

You've done a beautiful thing.

13. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I got my now five (six?) year old niece into Sonic, both through Mega Collection, and that Flash version of Advance 2. I've only shown her MC once, but she quickly got addicted to the flash game, so I gave her Sonic Advance 2 for Christmas. She generally enjoys playing as Cream, and occasionally as Tails. Since she's had little to no exposure to the classics, I'm considering buying her the DS Classic Collection.

14. ...Alright..I have a story to tell.

A long time ago, My family got a new next-door neighbor.

He was around my brother's age, a few years younger than me. He didn't play video games at all besides some Star Wars games on the PC and a GBC with a few games.

We couldn't really relate to him right away, so we decided to show him our Genesis and Sonic the Hedgehog.

Needless to say, he got hooked. So hooked, he bought a GameCube and some Sonic games on it (he would later buy a Wii and the corresponding Sonic games with that)

I look back on it now, and wonder what the HECK would have happened if we never showed him Sonic...

15. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Until last week, my little brother (five) had never seen a 3D Sonic game. He doesn't play many Sonic games himself (mostly just Mario Kart DS and New Super Mario Bros.), but he's seen me play. Always asks the same questions: How fast is Sonic? Is Sonic the fastest? How come Sonic can't fly? What if Sonic had two tails? How come Knuckles doesn't know how to jump right? Did you go the wrong way?

Then, he saw me playing Sonic Adventure, and was not phased. In his mind, they were exactly the same thing.

16. Jace

Jace

My 6 year old niece has..well...all the next-gen crap, and the last-gen crap... oh and a Genesis that my aunt used to play, and she has a lot of sonic games. (Just to set the record straight, my aunt is only 26 so she loves Sonic)

So when I went over there, she had Sonic Unleashed still in the packaging from Christmas and was playing the first Sonic the Hedgehog. When I asked her why she hadn't tried Sonic Unleashed, she told me that the older games were more fun. Since she's six, she couldn't really elaborate as to how it was more fun.

17. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    He would probably have lived a normal and healthy life whether he knew Sonic or not, IMHO.

The other day I came home to find my Niece had plugged my PS2 in and was trying to play Shadow the Hedgehog. Like always, I watched her for a while, laughed when she failed, and then told her to play Sonic Heroes, and she's now trying to get through the game with Team Rose.

18. Søda the Junker

Søda the Junker

WE MAKE THE DREAMS COME TRUE Member
    *5 Project Multi-Tasking*
    Recently I've been seeing a lot of younger kids having thought they've played all the Sonic games, and they've started from Sonic Heroes.
    I've enlightened some, but they only seem to like Sonic 2 and Sonic Adventure 1/2. It's not the best, but I guess it's a start.

However, it has proven to me just how timeless Sonic 2 really is.

19. Iceguy

Iceguy

グー! Member
    Hell. It's in my head.
    Internal system recovery
    Thirded. :v:

20. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    My younger cousin Phillip told me he was depressed because he has never seen a cunt before...

So I'm going to show him Shadow in Sonic Adventure 2.

*ba da boom tish!*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.