don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Redemption

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by UtopiaUK, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    When things are new, people use them, such as porting music. When Esrael released a tool, people used it. Same with SCAA and the many guides that are publically available. I don't like hacks with the same shit all the time, not every hack has to have them. If there's public code, look at it and spawn something else from it. If it's music, dick about with it. I get sick of hearing the same stuff all the time, regard
    Redemption is okay, it might have some aspects of the generic hack that has generic features but some things like the art edits were okay. Look into these comments and improve them for your next version.

2. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Complete and utter bullshit, my friend. Hell sometime roughly two years ago a newbie with no technical prowess at all came up with this kinda stuff:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Look especially at that second one. It may be a tad ugly, but HOLY SHIT IT'S A LABYRINTH ZONE MOD THAT STILL HASN'T BEEN SEEN BEFORE! No, really; point me to another sunken city.

That was me (and the former is now Arid Temple in S-Factor) and I pulled it out of my ass, no planning or anything, just sat there 'doodling' in SonEd2. I know this is tooting my own horn a bit, but I'm pretty lame in other respects -- I can't implement even a small fraction of some of the features this hack has.

Might I add that I didn't even port music either, I went for original stuff (via XM2SMPS). Even if it sounded a bit flat and terrible, it was new; no other hack had it.

UtopiaUK's had a wake-up call here -- if he's overhauling this hack, it could kick some real arse. But please, leave the weak defenses out of it, mmmkay? :colbert:

3. The Moogs

The Moogs

Oldbie
    This community will never progress with statements like "It's all been done before so I might as well do it too."

4. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    Very much this. I was in #cult last night explaining the situation - back when I used to run the SSRG hack archive, I was sent a lot of Sonic 2 hacks where someone had very obviously used ESE and ended up with something that was a lot like Sonic 2 Delta. They would all, without fail, have Hidden Palace and Wood Zone added, as well as level designs which looked a hell of a lot like those in Delta. The problem was that people were so wrapped up in the cool technical stuff that they forgot the level design and such.

Today, the situation is a little different, but not much. ASM work has replaced ESE, and Megamix is the new Delta. Unfortunately for the Redemption team, this hack is just one of those imitators that comes in the wake of innovation. You guys have done the whole spindash and elemental shield porting thing (kudos on leaving out the air dash, mind), and that's come off well. Unfortunately, your level designs need a fair amount of work. The broken tiles and object placement issues have already been mentioned, so I won't go over them again.

I'm not trying to piss on your chips or anything, but that's the way I see it. What I'd do from here is re-evaluate your direction. Have a look at some more hacks to get an idea of what has been done and what hasn't, and also check out some examples of good level design. When that's done, check out your own hack for a comparison and figure out what needs to stay and what needs to go. I'm sure something good can come out of this!

5. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    TBH, I've found composing new music to be easier than porting it.

6. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    This.

Here's what I reckon; we're not in the age of music ports anymore. Sure, the knowledge is there, but so are the tools to create new stuff. What good is "Glistening Garden Zone" if you've just got Azure Lake's music and Angel Island's graphics? I'd argue that if you want to port an entire zone then DO IT, graphics and music. Nothing wrong there if it's done well.

But the tools are there to create all-new zone graphics and music; and if you REALLY want to show off your ASM, code in some new gimmicks to make it a truly new experience.

These creative half-measures are getting old, the bar should've been raised by now (haven't the combined forces of BroTro, S-Factor, Megamix and Pixel Perfect - among others - done this yet?).

7. Axel Letterman

Axel Letterman

The Saiyan Hedgehog Member

When I clicked on the link, it came up with this.

I guess I missed out, damn... Oh well, I guess I can wait a bit longer. No need to rush.

8. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.