don't click here

Sonic - Code Gray

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Jdogg, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    Yes, you basically just said what I was saying. That was my point at least, I guess using the copyright symbol was taking it too far. I didn't mean it to be that serious. Also, thanks for the pleasant intro.

I could sit here and pick through your post Tweaker, find all of the problems that I have with what you said, but I'm not going to. We are two different people, we have two different views. I feel that sharing is caring, but that in any hacking scene things are and will be reused, and sometimes should be reprimanded, but handled differently then the way you did. I would prefer if it was at least talked about with the involved party privately. It's one thing to slap someone on the wrist and demand an apology in private, but publicly making an ass out of them just bothers me. I guess I have a more narrow viewpoint on the hacking scenes reactions to things as a whole, I thought I wasn't alone in this kind of feeling. I didn't feel this was harmful stealing, so I went off and I apologize for that.

To iojnekns; I just don't feel that anyone associated with ROM hacking should feel this way. If you are making something spectacular and new, even if it gives you sleepless nights and other problems, you are making it for the community to enjoy, which I feel should extend to even using it in their own hacks if they so wish. Stealing isn't right, but this feels almost harmless (like borrowing) in ROM hacking.

Oh well. Sorry for stirring up drama I guess. It wasn't my intention.

2. iojnekns

iojnekns

trouble keeps you runnin' faster Member
    Herein lies the difference in the way we think. I don't do anything for 'the community' because this idea of 'a community' is all in our heads. My idea of who comprises 'the community' is very different to your idea. My perception of the power structures and of the different relationships in 'the community' are very different, because we both have had very different experiences of "the community". But besides that, the only reason I personally engage in any Sonic modification is for my own personal gratification, for my own entertainment - both the entertainment of creating something and the entertainment of playing something that is another step closer to the idealised picture of a Sonic game I see in my head. You can probably tell this by the fact that you're extremely unlikely to have seen anything I have ever done. The fact is, feeling like that (ie: so frustrated you could hurl the monitor through the window) is the reason why its so appealing - if anyone could do it, how would it be satisfying? If it were easy to do, why would it be an achievement? Nothing that is worth having comes easy. I think this idea that not spreading work freely is somehow mean-spirited and "not sharing" betrays the fact that you've never done this yourself (I apologise if I am mistaken.) Doing the work for someone denies them the joy of learning, and of triumphing against something that isn't particularly easy.

Anyway, I recognise the cue to stop the bickering, and there was really no need for me to stick-my-oar-in in the first place, especially with all this lofty crap that makes sonic hacking seem like some important, noble pursuit. Sorry for blaring my opinion at you like you care what I think =)

3. Jdogg

Jdogg

My god this name sucks. Member
    Beyond the door
    Sonic - Code Gray
    Well I feel awkward for asking now after thieving them in the first place..... but yes, I could do with some help for the music.

4. ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Both those posts are just plain awesome.

5. JDAdams

JDAdams

The music doesn't work in gens-win32-bin-2.14, gens+00961 or gens11a. I'm not installing a fourth MD emulator (granted the three I have are all Gens, but for different purposes) just for one ROM. Come on, it's been broken at least since April - I still have the last build you released. Stop stealing people's tunes and get the ones you have working properly :) Nice piece of humility up there though, from both you and Tweaker :thumbsup: And the hack would be great if not for the silence!

6. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    In all fairness, unless you're using it for a specialty task (Gens Movie) you should be using Kega, Regen or Gens/gs. Gens is hopelessly outdated.

7. Jdogg

Jdogg

My god this name sucks. Member
    Beyond the door
    Sonic - Code Gray
    So yeah....it's been around 8 months since I last messed around with this thing and although nothing has really much changed, I thought I would put this up regardless.

V1.3

(btw, how do you chance the sub-heading on the topic? This obviously ain't V1.0 anymore.)

8. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Edit the first post in the thread. And I'll download this and give it a try! :D

9. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    I gave it a play through up until MZ act 2, and overall it's a decent hack, GHZ's design looks quite pleasing, gives a junglyish sort of feel to the zone which I liked, though the layout could do with some work, like certain chunks that don't look good when they're put next to each other, are there. Having the AOSTH styled robotnik was awesome though, I liked that. I also saw the design of the swinging platform and thought it looked pretty nice, though I would've been more happier had I saw it in the layouts more often =P

I cannot give my opinion on the music as I'm currently... speaker-less I guess you could say, this is a generally nice hack, and I'll look forward to your updates.

10. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    Music sounds fine to me, and the bosses are wow so hard! Especially LZ! I used savestates on that one. And on the final boss.

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Definitely loving the improvements! You've got one of the most unique soundtracks I've heard in a hack to date, which I really like. Levels are just as fun to play through and the levels have a nice graphical flair. Pretty solid! Shame you haven't done a ton since the last release, but I still had fun playing it. :)

12. Any chance of released this on the wiki? My computer won't let me download from file sharing sites...

13. Lodmot

Lodmot

USA
    Xtremely Sonic Engine
    Dang.... I like this a LOT. :D
    The music especially sounds awesome.

14. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    I'll get started on working on a wiki page for the hack, then. :)

EDIT: Sonic - Code Gray

15. Cheers mate!

16. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    Gotta love the use of the Mighty Morphins boss theme for Robotnik

17. I haven't spent a whole lot of time with this hack yet, but I'm loving what I'm seeing so far. The layouts present a decent challenge without being overly hard, and they flow quite nicely. The new palettes/sprites are quite nice as well. The only real criticisms I have mostly boil down to personal preference and very minor quirks: I don't care for the GHZ music as much as I'd like, in my opinion, it's good, but it doesn't really fit the zone's "vibe" all that well. Also, I noticed that Sonic's new palette for his walking sprites appears to be unfinished. When he's walking (as in moving, but not doing the "spinning feet" animation), he appears to revert back to his Sonic 1 palette for a frame or two halfway through the animation. Looks like a minor oversight, but it may be worth looking into. Other than those minor nitpicks, keep doing what you're doing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.