don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Yes, but since it isn't such a huge output in general, it would just make it a few bytes larger, and I don't think it's a big problem. :P

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Use them in a loop and you will find the difference. Also jumps are slower due to taking up more space and thereby requiring more fetching.

3. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    I really like that words, because everyone tells me that. I don't feel any differences. So, someone, tell me a valid reason why I shouldn't do this mass replace. :P

4. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    You better save every cycle you can, the 68k is slower than it seems. Also short branches are faster than long branches as they're one word shorter.

5. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    You just pointed it. It's slower than it SEEMS. And for me it seems to have no difference if using a jsr or a bsr.w. :P

6. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Selbi, were you in the team that programmed Windows Vista by any chance?

7. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    ^^

I LOL'D

Anyway could someone tell me what to change to have sonic's running animation start at a lower speed?

8. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    I don't think so. :P

Didn't I told you the other day?

Yay, first 100 posts! =D

9. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    You told me how to slow down the animation :P and that was usefull

but I want the running animation to start earlier.

10. Mairtrus

Mairtrus

Get a load of this!! Tech Member
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Sonic Z. The Z DOESN'T means nothing.
    Actually, the Sonic's running and walking animations are controlled by their own routine. This code is located in the Sonic_Animate subroutine:
    Code (ASM):
    1.     @nomodspeed:
    2.         lea (SonAni_Run).l,a1 ; use running animation
    3.         cmpi.w  #$600,d2    ; is Sonic at running speed?
    4.         bcc.s   @running    ; if yes, branch
    6.         lea (SonAni_Walk).l,a1 ; use walking animation
    As you can see, change the $600 by the speed at you want to see Sonic starts to run.

11. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK

12. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    For those of you working on the old S1 DisASM's the routine is named "loc_13A9C"

13. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I thought I'd start something of my own, followed the excellent guides on here. Made a quick edit to MZ just to check everything works, but build.bat says it is incompatible with 64-bit systems. Any work around? I tried using compatibility options, nothing. I'm using Vista.

I am using Hivebrain's Sonic 1 disassembley , and Quickman's project files for SonED2, if that helps.

14. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    I'm a 64 bit user as well and I'm having the same problem. You are using the gay SNASM68k version aren't you? Bother yourself, join the 21st century and get ASM68k. :P

15. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    D'oh! Changed and it builds like a charm. Thanks Selbi.

16. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I want to add a slightly modified Sonic Retro splash screen to SETedit. I could take the graphics and music out of a hack, but I don't know if that would be okay. I'm certain that it wouldn't be without asking first. Basically I would need the background, both frames for Sonic with a transparent Bg and the music in 44.1kHz (or higher) WAV format. Of course whoever would help me with this would be credited in the about box and the Product Description.
    Edit: I've screencapped and recorded from Megamix, if it would be okay to use that.

17. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    I'm sure it would be fine to use it, considering its the same for any hack that has it in anyway. :P

But if you wanna be extra safe, just get the data for it from the tech members lounge. :P

18. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    But then I would have to put it in a ROM first, I just want the result. (Besides, I'm not sure I could even add it myself anyway.) Either way, I'm adding "UTILITIES" to the BG, then I'll add the necessary code to animate it and play the music to SETedit unless somebody stops me. This could be either something unique about my program, or something everybody starts doing in varying amounts.

19. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    I need some help.

I'm not sure how to explain this since I'm not much of an expert. But, I'm using Cheat Engine to mostly do some debug enabling in games (works well kinda) and I'd like to check out the various versions of SA1 that I have for debug modes they accidentally left in some releases. However, it's hard to know just where to start in memory. So I figured, since most of the debug modes can be enabled in SA2 in a series of addresses before where the score is kept, finding at least one debug mode should lead me to find more around the same address. And thankfully, there are codes to activate a certain debug mode in SA1 that's actually used in SA2 as well - but appears to be in a different location:

Code (Text):
    1. CODEBREAKER:
    3. Debug Menu 1.0
    4. 01752BDC
    5. 00000000
    7. Debug Menu 1.1
    8. 01756C5C
    9. 00000000
    11. Pro Action Replay:
    13. Turn on Debug mode (WARNING: Very Glitchy):
    14. 77F5C847 + 00000000
    16. Game Shark:
    18. Enable Debug Mode (You will only see odd graphical changes in gameplay to determine "hit spots" and coding at the bottom of the screen for 3D mapping.):
    19. 1. 1BF40DD4 + 00000000
    20. 2. 15F40DC5 + 00000000

My problem is that I don't know how to get to these addresses in Cheat Engine. I figured out at least one address to start from (where rings are stored in Memory) but I don't know where to start from there.

Please help.

EDIT: Bah I forgot to mention, by various versions of SA1 I meant various versions of the Dreamcast versions. I'd look at Gamecube if the debugging tools in Dolphin didn't suck.

20. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Well, first you would have to know how to extract the addresses from those codes. Then you would have to find the address for Rings in the game system's RAM. Then you would take the Rings address for the game - Rings address for the emulator, and add that to the other addresses you got from the codes. I hope you can understand this... I do this often with various versions of Gens.
    Edit: Er, no, I think you subtract the other way.