Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    <!--quoteo(post=355512:date=Sep 28 2009, 10:40 AM:name=Hodgy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hodgy @ Sep 28 2009, 10:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=355512">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hello I was wondering if its possible to take a midi file and convert it to XM then use Xm4smps to convert that into a song readable by the megadrive.

THe thing is I tried this out but I don't get any music in the level :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Its possible, all depends on how many channels are used for voices ect. If it uses say 13, you will be limted to 5 channels and 3 psg chanels only. But I use xm3smps,not xm4smps. You need ModPlug to convert the midi to xm, then use xm3/4smps to covert in to sonic 1 format. If you are doing it for sonic 2 though, take a look at sonic QX.

2. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

Emerald Dragoon Moderator
    Hampton, VA
    The S Factor: Sonia and Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=355512:date=Sep 28 2009, 05:40 AM:name=Hodgy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hodgy @ Sep 28 2009, 05:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=355512">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hello I was wondering if its possible to take a midi file and convert it to XM then use Xm4smps to convert that into a song readable by the megadrive.

THe thing is I tried this out but I don't get any music in the level :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://www.un4seen.com/mid2xm.html" target="_blank">MIDI2XM</a>

3. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    Graphics bugs make me unhappy :(
    [​IMG]

I know what the problem is but I don't know how to fix it :(
    this one is even worse
    [​IMG]

:( thats supposed to be crabmeat / krabby firing those bomb things ....

like I said I havent got a clue how to fix this so any help would be apreciated!

4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

A D V A N C E Resident Jester
    Japan
    <!--quoteo(post=356004:date=Sep 30 2009, 01:26 AM:name=Hodgy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hodgy @ Sep 30 2009, 01:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=356004">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Graphics bugs make me unhappy :(

I know what the problem is but I don't know how to fix it :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    for a start you'll need to rearange the art in VRam (looks at the "Points" art in PLC), however after that you'll need to extend the amount of tiles that your pikachu is allowed to use

(Not sure what DisASM you're using, but just in case you're using the old DisASM:)
    <div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain' style='height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto'>loc_CD4: ; XREF: loc_C76
    move.w ($FFFFF624).w,(a5)
    lea ($C00004).l,a5
    move.l #$940193C0,(a5)
    move.l #$96E69500,(a5)
    move.w #$977F,(a5)
    move.w #$7C00,(a5)
    move.w #$83,($FFFFF640).w
    move.w ($FFFFF640).w,(a5)
    lea ($C00004).l,a5
    move.l #$94019340,(a5)
    move.l #$96FC9500,(a5)
    move.w #$977F,(a5)
    move.w #$7800,(a5)
    tst.b ($FFFFF767).w
    beq.s loc_D50
    lea ($C00004).l,a5
    move.l #$94019370,(a5) ; $940193XX add 20 bytes to XX to extend how many tiles pikachu sprite can use at a time (20 per 2 Tile spaces)
    move.l #$96E49500,(a5)
    move.w #$977F,(a5)
    move.w #$7000,(a5)
    move.b #0,($FFFFF767).w</div>
    as for your other graphical bug, it's clear to say that you have alot of PLC rearanging to do (I wont go into full details or we'll be here all morning)

5. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    OK thanks for the help :D I think I'll reduce the size of the sprites for the other problem so that they fit within the boundaries of the original sprite. hopefully that will work!

6. MikeTH

MikeTH

Ohio
    I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this, but I've been looking around the archives for a guide to port Sonic 3's Water rippling effect into Sonic 2. I know it was written by MoDule (Or at least the topic was started by him), but I have absolutely no clue where it went. I'd really be grateful for any help with this!

7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I needed like 30 seconds to find it: <a href="http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=11077" target="_blank">http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=11077</a>

8. MikeTH

MikeTH

Ohio
    Thanks, I was really having trouble finding it. I guess I was looking in the wrong place...

9. nineko

nineko

italy
    Don't worry, I might be a bit rude, but we're here to help :)

10. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Though its Sonic 1's water ripple, not 3's. :P

11. nineko

nineko

italy
    <!--quoteo(post=357604:date=Oct 5 2009, 03:02 AM:name=SMTP)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SMTP @ Oct 5 2009, 03:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=357604">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Though its Sonic 1's water ripple, not 3's. :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Did you read <a href="http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?s=&showtopic=11077&view=findpost&p=219653" target="_blank">post #8</a>? :P

12. Emerald Spirit

Emerald Spirit

Squandered Potential Member
    I'm changing level order around a bit. I need to know how to make the text and icon in Sonic 2's level select match up to my new order. I've already got it set that the second slot will load the right level, it's just still displaying Chemical Plant. Help me?

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I think you'll have to edit the mappings with <a href="http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=15039" target="_blank">PlaneEd</a>. There may be another way, but that's how I did it.

14. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    If you are using Esrail's tutorial for the sonic 2 levelselect, then you should open s2menu, and look at the bottom for the list of the texts of the zones. By looking at them you can easily change the text.

15. Emerald Spirit

Emerald Spirit

Squandered Potential Member
    PlaneEd did the trick. Thanks MM.

16. randomselect

randomselect

?!?! Member
    Nothing recently
    I tried to put the word "Abyss" into a title card but I get this when I build.
    Sorry it's .jpg but I took it in a hurry.

[​IMG]
    Any help would be appreciated.
    BTW I tried the Out of Range Guide.

17. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus

Buried under SSRG Somewhere Tech Member
    Academy City
    SSRG, world domination, a billion and one research projects...
    Are you sure it's the right instruction that you've tried to correct? When using SNASM68K, the line number shown corresponds to s1comb.asm, not sonic1.asm. Usually, if the Out of Range issues are not fixed by the guide, then you're probably either not fixing the right line in sonic1.asm or trying to fix it in s1comb.asm.

18. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    The out-of-range error is soooo old. Look at <a href="http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=857" target="_blank">this</a> or at <a href="http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=17016" target="_blank">this</a> to figure out how to fix it.

EDIT: <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->BTW I tried the Out of Range Guide.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> Oops, I didn't saw this. Might putting the error routine here?

19. Destructiox

Destructiox

Masochistic Maniac, Raving Lunatic Member
    East Midlands, England
    Sonic 1 Lunacy.
    <!--quoteo(post=358433:date=Oct 7 2009, 04:10 AM:name=randomselect)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (randomselect @ Oct 7 2009, 04:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=358433">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->BTW I tried the Out of Range Guide.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^

Unfortunately, I have no experience dealing with s1comb.asm, since I use a version of the sonic 1 disassembly that doesn't need it.

20. randomselect

randomselect

?!?! Member
    Nothing recently
    :psyduck: I feel like such a turd right now.
    I fixed it. I was just trying to fix it in the wrong line before. I also tried to fix it in s1comb before too. I really don't know anything about this stuff.
    Iron Sonic you pointed out I might be fixing it in the wrong place. That was right.

Thanks to Selbi and Destructiox for responding and for their quick guides for the Out of Range Error.