don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    You can get a cheap one line mine for just ...40 dollars, there are some nice Genius tablets for "begginners" that are really cheap and they work perfect, trust me, after all, a Wacom Intuos 3 tablet don't make you draw better things, skills do.

By the way...Your critics are really good, you are telling us the truth at least, you don't want pixel perfect recreations after all... and that's nice, I suppose you will like my latest badniks, we have been remastering each badniks, background and even level art to make it feel awesome in a metallic and organic way.

By the way, just to keep the flow of the topic, though its not the correct thread...

Here is a wip comparisson of my kiki:

[​IMG]

2. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    When you mentioned outlining the characters, this sprang to mind, but I don't know if you'd agree.

Anyway, I'm starting to have my own concern about the direction the art is taking, but I'll have to wait until the next tech demo (and actually download and play it) to see whether it's at all founded

3. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)

OMGOSH! it looks a lot better now :D

4. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Haha, thanks ^^, I suppose you will like the other new badniks :3...But they are just secret muahahaha :3

5. Exodus

Exodus

U.K.
    S2HD
    This?

[​IMG]

6. ancara

ancara

That looks great. I like the cartoon-like style it now give off. We should give this style a try.

But I think it's best to see what everybody else thinks before we decide.

7. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    It looks really cheap to me. I like the style we are currently using over this.

8. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Some of those outlines are way too thick.

9. DistroyA

DistroyA

I WOD LICK A SONIC 2 ROMS Member
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    My own artwork
    YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! (Exactly what I screamed when I saw that screenshot...)

That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about Blanche. I personally think it would suit the game PERFECTLY.

And Exodus; that example you did has too thick an outer outline to what I was thinking of. That and it's FAR too bold looking. Remember, I mentioned the word subtlety in my massive post earlier. Plus, the eyebrows could do with outlining as well. Otherwise, he isn't that defined.

Thinking about it, the item monitors should then have a slight outline to make them stand out a little bit more. Otherwise, they're just part of the scenery, and that's something we don't want to happen. Plus, if Sonic was left looking too polished, he might look like part of the scenery also.

10. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Well, I guess I'm better at drawing stuff with my mouse than I thought I was. Anyways, I just drew this up. I'm not really diggin' the outline thing because Sonic doesn't have the same style shading as an actual cartoon. It just doesn't really jive.

[​IMG]

11. DistroyA

DistroyA

I WOD LICK A SONIC 2 ROMS Member
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    My own artwork
    The outer outline looks better, but certain features on Sonic still need outlining. Mainly the eyebrows. Plus, you don't necessarily need to use black as the outline colour. Try a softer colour that's dark, but not overly bold.

Either way, you're getting the idea.

PROTIP: The landscape doesn't need an upper outline as well as the characters. ;)

12. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Well, I suppose it's too late to restart the project from scratch, but at least I made some scream =P

Anyway, I'll be happy with whatever the final project happens to be, I guess, depending on whether I can actually run it

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'm sorry, but I really dislike the new additions, which just collide with what you can see in the manual. I encourage you to please, try making a faithful version based on the original artwork first.

Something more like Spaz's take on the badnik, in his cover for Sonic Archives Vol.2:
    [​IMG]

By the way, that guy has done some awesome (and official-looking) classic Sonic artwork for those Sonic Archives books, does he even know about this project?

14. Exodus

Exodus

U.K.
    S2HD
    I'm not convinced by cartoon outlining. I know the posts that have been made so far are just to portray your idea but I really don't like them, I think they spoil the beautiful sonic Vincent has already created :P

15. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    [​IMG]
    backgrounds do wonders.

I'm... pro outline. It looks good, that's the only thing that matters.

16. Metal-Geo

Metal-Geo

Toot toot Member
    It looks horrible. The whole mix of gradients and thick black outlines is... Bah.

17. no.

regardless of my stance on the graphics, simply slapping a black outline on everything does more harm then good.

18. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    I love the outlines... But feel its too late and doesnt really fit the project...

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    About the visual style and the outlines...

Wario games have always used clearly defined outlines, not only in the black and white games, but also in the GBA, Game Cube, DS and Wii games, not to mention his official artwork.

On the other hand, classic Sonic games and the artwork assigned to them, never did that. So adding outlines would kinda defeat the point.

20. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    The outlines would destroy the look of the whole game. It would look a different game to what it's supposed to be. It not because I don't like the style, it just does not suit this game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.