don't click here

That God-damned Barrel Topic

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by BlackHole, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizam

Lizam

Lizam Member
    Australia
    Mario & Sonic: Worlds Clash
    That was exactly what I did. The first one or two goes of trying to get past the barrel, I had to get my brother to play as Tails and we would jump in sync.
    But then when it came to beating the game alone as Sonic, I had to restart my game if I didn't have all emeralds by CNZ act 2.

2. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    Ahh it was called debug mode. I always wanted to call that Sega hotline when I was young but my mother always told me it would cost money or something. It was quite some time ago.

3. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    Oh, the barrel. Bad level design.

4. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    me too! :argh:
    I used to take the cartridges over to my freind's house and he'd do it for me.But man, I just.. couldn't do it!

5. Me and my brother didn't figure it out until our older sister (who never played video games) did it in 15 seconds. I'm still pissed off 15 years later.

6. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    Initially, I got stuck at the barrel, and tried the aforementioned jumping technique, all to no avail, and I always thought there was some significance to the position Sonic landed on the barrel (from getting spun like crazy on dead centre, to going what seemed to be of-centre of the barrel), so I left the game for a week, while I played Sonic 2 and Sonic and Knuckles (Sometimes S2&K, but hated the fact that Knuckles' jump was shorter than Sonics).

When I returned to Sonic 3 CNZ, I just decided to butten mash, trying any combo I could think of, final tried some D-pad combos, et voila!
    I breathed a sigh of relief and continued the game, and had a joy-gasm at the amazing Snowboard sequence of ICZ.

7. Spatula

Spatula

too cool for old school Member
    I never figured it out. I completed the game with knuckles, then beat Sonic&Knuckles with Sonic, and only came back years later after looking up the solution on the internet.

I tried pressing down too. If all you had to do was press down, then it'd be easy. Just pressing down or up doesn't work though. The effect of pressing once, or holding down, is so small you don't notice it. You have to put some love into it. Press down and up the same way you time jumps on it to make it go higher. That's why it was difficult.

8. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    That sounds suspiciously like a Foxtrot comic I once read.

9. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    Oh, that barrel. When I rented this game when I was lil, I got stuck at that part. It wasnt years later through emulation that I discover what I needed to do.

10. CloverCC

CloverCC

Honestly, I found out by accident.. Otherwise, It's just the most implausible and illogical thing I have ever came across, and whoever thought that this would be a good idea should have their balls chopped off, and have jumper cables shoved up his newly formed vagina, and shock his ass up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down. I'll be honest, It took me weeks to figure out, and.. It was just something that did NOT have to be in the game. Especially if that's the ONE TIME that you need to do that. Really, some levels have arrows pointing left and right in a two dimensional game. An up or down arrow where I needed one wouldn't have been so bad.

11. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    If I remember correctly, when I first got to that point I assumed there was some sort of catapult effect where Sonic would have to jump off the drum as high as possible and then land on it immediately afterward so that gravity from the fall would push it low enough for Sonic to sneak through. At that point in the game, why would I assume Sonic could control an obstacle without running or jumping?

12. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    I got the game when I was 9. I got past it as Sonic by using a rapid fire controller and a bubble shield.
    B-b-b-b-b-boom! And I bounced through where the barrel met the corner of the wall. I got stuck in the wall a few times like that too though. As Tails alone I figured he couldn't get past it until maybe half a year later when I learned how to do it by jumping and pressing down. I don't remember pressing up, but I may have done it by instinct because you kind of feel like you're jumping higher if you press up.

It reminded me a lot of the elevator shaft in Taz-Mania which I had beaten two years before it. Very similar instance of gaining momentum.

13. Roybertito

Roybertito

Still alive, apparently. Member
    I remember when I found out, through the magic of the internet, how to get past it.

By then I had owned the game for two years. It was a magical moment.

14. PsychoHog

PsychoHog

New Jersey
    Locating music in Sound Tests for classic Sonic games
    Post pulled.

15. Nova

Nova

Calling the majority of the people in this thread stupid is sure to help you achieve that

16. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    At no point are you instructed about how the barrel functions. Congrats, you figured it out.

Fuck you for insulting us for getting stumped.

17. Blue Warrior

Blue Warrior

USA
    Sonic 1 soundtrack
    Hey, I was not outsmarted by the barrel.

I actually got through it as Tails once without pressing the up or down keys after months of confusion. :(

18. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    I was one of the lucky few who had Sonic Jam, where the barrel is mercifully removed on every difficulty setting other than "Original", so it was only ever a problem for me in the years preceding that where I rented all of my Genesis games.

I totally managed to pull it off once by jumping, though. I'm probably a god or something I don't know

19. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Was it? I don't remember that and I'm too lazy to fire up my Saturn =P

20. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    I believe a majority of us did. You're nothing special. :colbert:

It was, although I can't confirm on which modes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.