don't click here

Badniks & Bosses Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Well I think that there is a problem with his shading...he is using to many "soft gradients", the grandient use is ok, but there is too much black like you said... Also, the problem with the glass is that he should have used layers like I used in the eggmobile, a simple "toon" metal shading with nice details.

I told him to add details, the problem is that...I think that giant screws werent screws xD... but before being screws they were plain balls with shading xD...

2. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Since you asked directly, Yes I'm not working on this project anymore since trying to refine minuscule details proved to be too frustrating. Especially since I never had a lick of training in art basics, let alone working with all vectors on computer. The direction of the art has also changed drastically since I last worked on anything.

I'll also echo everyone saying it your Drilldozer is too dark, but then again I beleive the other machines are too dark as well. Sonic never goes a shade darker than his original colors. Of course the machines are going to be a tad more realistic, but this and the other CPZ boss and some badniks look like they've been dooged to death and are, in fact, unrealistic in the other extream.

Please fix the hood. It looks like you somehow smudged it with your thumb.

Make the gradients sharper. For example the rectangular peice of the body has a very small black shadow towards the top in the original sprite. Yours very evenly flows from red to black the entire way causing the shadow to be much larger and pays no respect to the shape from which it originated.

Keep the hood and the rest of the body the same colors.

I like the wheels. If you kept the axl the same, but if you could "push back" the um axl deeper to look a little more like the original I'd be happy. (and make the red ring round/smoother or just leave it out entirely)

People started complaing that since the drill I sarted on didn't look like a drill I should redo it eventhough it looked like the original. If you want to use it afterall I will at least finish the last one (the hornet tail)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

You can also check my very incomplete version in my sig for my interpretation on a few of it's parts, but it may be too incompleate to gather anything usefull.

3. -I think the whole area behind the back tire is too dark, there is also too much space between the engine components.

-The half rings, just under and to the right of the downward red arrow look more like some sort of caps, then whatever they are. They should also be more reflective, composed of the same sheen as the metal band behind them.

-The series of 4 pipes above the back tire should be less round, more angular, and thick.

-You took a lot of creative liberty with the tires, turned um from in-y's to out-y's. Not sure exactly how I feel about that.

BUT, nevertheless EXCELLENT progress so far. This is shaping up to be absolutely stunning! Good job.

4. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    The shading on the main body, especially the red metal, looks hideous. Please clean it up.

5. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    The wheels aren't emphasised on what a "car" looks like.

All I'm seeing is black circles, with a few oval shapes in it, slightly blurred.

Come on, improvise. A faint side wall, perhaps of Robotnik's own brand, could be on it, which rotates at the drillcar moves. Come on, use your fucking imagination.

Also, the shading is hideous, I suggest that is changed.

EDIT: Hell, I'll even go through the trouble of whipping out my Logitech G25 and getting wheel movement screen shots, just for side walls

6. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor

S2HD Staff - Badnik Artist Member
    I can't say I understand what you're trying to tell me here.

Currently the drilldozer is undergoing a major overhaul, taking all you guys' critique into account. That's what this forum is here for, right?
    All the following will be addressed (hopefully) improved -

- more of the original wheel, less of the improvised wheel.
    - overhaul on the shading, with the end result I assume being more "Uber" shading?
    - detail into dark places.
    - highlights made more sensible.

Am I getting everything? Did I miss anyone?

7. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    This isn't quite what DalekSam is saying (and the only reason I'm saying this for him is because we were talking about this piece in IRC earlier so I think I have his position and wanted to get in before you did any major work)

Take a look at this tire:

[​IMG]

This is at the sidewall view—see how it has printing on it?

Also, as I'm just now noticing personally, why are there no treads on the tires?

8. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    From someone with a lot of experience looking at tires:

-In the original sprite, Eggman seems to put his tires with the raised white lettering facing inside anyway (normal tires only print with white one one side, the other has raised lettering left black so it isn't as obvious). It's not like the Kong Radial tires in Donkey Kong Country where the white lettering is obviously there despite the sprite resolution. Assuming we forgo the implications of the original sprite though, any text should possibly be blurred a bit from the motion, or maybe more frames could be put in, as the original moves rather slow anyway.

-The perspective looks bizarre in the new version. The tread seems to abruptly cut off where the sidewall begins, and it looks like too much of the center rim is visible.

-The center rim barely matches the original, and it seems to look too little like an actual rim and more like a metallic mess.

-The tires could be treadless, like some solid rubber ones used on heavy industrial vehicles like forklifts and such (which might make sense for the weight of his machine, but not the terrain), but I'm really not sure what to make of the sprites. It somewhat seems like they imply tread being blurred by motion even though they're still used for still frames too, but I'm not sure.

9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I always assumed the very front of the EHZ boss had a "1" printed on it, possibly to indicate the first boss or because you often see cars called "XXXX 1"

10. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Oh wow.

I still think it looks like a shine, but I can see what you mean. Never noticed that.

11. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    The tires aren't ever stationary; I doubt you'd be able to see the treads clearly since they'd always be moving.

12. The Prof

The Prof

The Island Professor Member
    Orkney, Scotland
    Sonic 1 Yarmar Edition
    The tires do stop for a moment when Robotnik's helicopter enters the vehicle.

13. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor

S2HD Staff - Badnik Artist Member
    Ideally I ought to make three different frames for the wheel then, both in-motion frames and a static frame.

14. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Well some people at the staff already know this little guy, but lets keep the other people informed too...

[​IMG]

Re-drawing the coconuts with metalic shades, its still wip and the hand is VERY wip xD

15. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    Well its changed a lot, and for the better ^^

ugly monkey is ugly

16. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Dark shadows are dark

Also an indentaion for the mouth need to be here.
    [​IMG]

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    What's that thing in his tail.

=(

EDIT: Also, the staple in his chin looks like it must hurt, and the gray screws around his eyes look like eyelashes, making the enemy look a bit more affeminate.

Seriously, please try getting all the main shapes right first, and then try adding something worthwhile if anything.

EDIT 2:
    You forgot that the radiators don't look like such.
    [​IMG]
    Usually, game designers take many of their ideas from real life stuff, and this kind of mechanical things were probably no exception.

18. Woot

Woot

I always pictured those as pipes, and I pictured the curve to be based on how they were made, not down to the pixel-art limitations. I guess it makes more sense for them to be a radiator grill though.

[​IMG]

ICEknight, turning the vehicle greyscale makes it look really badass! :O

19. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    I hate the arm. It's bending the wrong way. Perhaps it's got to do with the unfinished hand which is in an odd angle.
    The tail is just... wrong.

20. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    We've already gone over the issues with the hand, but I'm not sure what you mean about the arm being bent the wrong way. The way El has it laid out, it isn't bent at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.