don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizam

Lizam

Lizam Member
    Australia
    Mario & Sonic: Worlds Clash
    Congratulations Vincent!
    You always continue to impress me (and many others, I'm sure) with the development of this fantastic sheet.
    This sheet is truly a piece of work we can cherish.

As always, keep up the great work!

2. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Excellent work Vincent. Dedication to this project has paid off as it feels to me that this project has taken a giant leap forward now sonic sprite sheet is complete.

Vincent's current mood

3. Shanesan

Shanesan

Sweet! Congratulations on a successful sheet, Vincent! :D

4. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    Now to do all the same for tails and knuckles :eng101:

Seriously though congrats on making lots beautiful sonic frames :D

5. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Congratz to everyone who has contributed towards Sonic, I always think this is the hardest part since Sonic is pretty much on screen all the time, so things should hopefully become easier and quicker to do, eh? ;)

Keep up the work! The HD Project is really becoming a reality.

6. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    That's evil!!
    Haha, jokes apart a big thank you for every one of your comments, it makes makes me extremely happy! ^^

Upon the missing Alpha Character Art is drawn, I'll definitely move onto Super Sonic or Tails.

7. Simply stunning, I don't think it is even possible for any of us to truley appreciate the hard work and dedication put forth on your part. Excellent Work!

8. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I'd say do Super Sonic next since it's a similar concept to Sonic. Unless you're bored of drawing Sonic.

9. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Super Sonic requires some feedback from you first before a HD design can be started. Anyone of you have anything against Super Sonic's biceps? I noticed them while browsing the original sprites:
    [​IMG]
    He's supposed to be strong!?

10. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    He also appears to have a beefier chest.

Perhaps some real muscle definition should be drawn in so that he doesn't look overweight =P

11. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Of course I'm sure this will be done in "All Character Art" and not here [Super Sonic *is* still Sonic after all] ;)

12. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I thought they were going to make extra animation frames now that the basic sprite sheet was complete...

13. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Additional frames are marked as Extras, as in fact making the game playable with S&T (including Super Sonic) is the first aim.

14. MoI

MoI

Rex Member
    On that note - will there be extra sprites for Super Sonic? Such as in the original where certian sprites (falling, hanging on) would revert to 'normal' Sonic sprites? The inconsistency was very jarring.

And, well done for the completed Sonic sprites!

15. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    It's like I'm really watching Dragon Ball Z.

16. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
  17. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I'm all for it for sonic being buff. It would be a good mean, kickass look.

18. wangle

wangle

werehog-esque

19. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Never a truer word said. No seriously.

I mean; wow. So, after a discussion in #retro, I was referred to page 100 of this thread, where Vincent badmouthed KOF XII and compared S2HD's fuckugly art to the beautiful Odin Sphere without batting an eyelid (WTF), and when the detractors inevitably came out, the phrase "If you don't like it, move along" was bandied around like a Twitter trend. #itsbeautifulidontcarewhatyousay

"Uberising" the sprites is a joke. This is the philosophy that more steps in a gradient makes it pleasing on the eye. Here's a hint; it doesn't. What you appear to be aiming for is a vector equivalent of smooth airbush painting, which is about as retarded an idea as you can get. Why not just digitally-paint all the frames at a large size and scale them down?

After all, this is very well what happened here:
    [​IMG]

"OH NOES IT'S THAT IMAGE AGAIN"

Go to page 1 of this topic. I dare you. This is the very image that inspired the whole project, and to be honest it should have been made the permanent wallpaper of every artist involved in this project. Live and breathe the original vision; if your artwork wasn't in a similar vein, it was not good enough. But no, you seem to have all lowered your standards to the point where simply retracing the original art and manually (and this isn't always the case, has been proven) adding gradients is acceptable. In fact, people have been shot down consistently for daring to add anything to the original artwork.

But no. Instead, y'all carry on like some deviantART fan-artist who simply will not accept any criticism for their work, and as a result never improve. Do you ever wonder why you get semi-frequent 'waves' of trolling, sometimes from members who used to be very keen on the development of this project? Or are you too busy playing the victim card, too convinced that what you're doing is improving the graphics and making a "beautiful and great game"? Because you're not. You're making a bland mockery of a classic game, too conservative to add any flair, too unimaginative to improve beyond manually adding more gradients.

Oh, go on, show an image where you've drawn OMG FINGERS on Sonic's hand. But compare it, ANY OF IT, to the very image that inspired this project (as posted above) and it falls flat. Of course, this post is in vain. ALL the detractor posts are, because you simply rationalise yourself around the complaint ("We're staying true to the original art" -- no you're not. "It looks like xxx" -- no it doesn't) and nothing will be learned, nothing will be achieved. But hey, that's your call. If you're happy to write this off as simply a troll and never improve in lieu of this, nothing of any real value will be lost.

I look forward to your next release when, upon still being told by and large "shit looks like a Flash game", uberisation 2.0 is introduced, muddying up the graphics even more.

20. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Ah, so now the trolls are skewing comments that are completely unrelated to the art direction to get a reaction. Blast Processing was merely referring to the multiplayer aspect of the game, but I guess you didn't notice. Here's the original quote.

Personally, I don't see what the horrible sonic fan art at Deviantart has to do with this at all, and despite what many seem to think, the staff members are open to criticisms. In fact, I've pointed several things out to people that need fixing and those things generally get worked on. Also, I think everyone here had a say on the art style and if you try to tell me otherwise I'll just laugh. The art style was changed publicly and it was no secret, so if you didn't speak out about it when that happened, you have no right to do so now. I don't know if you did that or not, but I'm willing to bet you didn't.

As for the flash game stuff, the game looks so much better now than it did for the tech demo, trust me, I know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.