don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. Zero7

Zero7

(Learning) Hack - Sonic 3 & Knuckles Music Swap
    I've been trying to figure this out on my own for a few days now, but I'm really stumped.

I want to change the pointers in a S3K rom to use the Sonic 3 music for things like knuckle's theme/act 1 boss/etc., but for the life of me, it doesn't seem like any hex edit I do changes anything.

Can someone help me out please? :eng101:

EDIT:Ok, I think I understand what I have to do, I have to get the S3 act 1 boss theme back into soundtest by changing a pointer, now if I could only find that pointer

2. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

I have no idea what's going on. Member
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    All right, I've successfully ported the sound into the game. It actually plays just fine, except it's really fast and high pitched. I guess there's something I need to do with the sound driver or whatever. Still, it's cool that I got it in. That means I'm on the right track.

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    [​IMG]
    I'm using the method of telling the Project file to load both the 8x8GHZ files. How do I get rid of the [X] Tiles that aren't ment to be where they are?
    I've worked on blocks that haven't been affected, but now I'm basically needing those tiles fixed.

4. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    First of all, my eyes are burning from the palette! Second, you cant remove these tiles, they are used for the ghz flowers and waterfalls.

Edit: But if you would still like to remove them, choose a blank tile and open the blocks you want to remove, then draw the tile to that block.

5. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    See, you're doing it wrong. You need to uncompress the two 8x8ghz files, merge them via hex editor, and recompress. It sounds tedious - but it's so that you can edit the level and shit. Oh, and another thing. That level looks strikingly familiar to MarkeyJester's GHZ...?

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Ignore the checkerblocks, those are temporary until I free up more room to add in the proper earth. Also, I had read somewhere you could tell the project files to load up both. My bad.

7. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    Can anyone tell me how to get textures out of Sonic 06? I want to use them in SADX.

8. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Get a Sonic 06 iso, find the tools that no one will give out, because they are hoarded, and rip things.

That's pretty much it.

9. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    Need help with the slow camera in Sonic 1. As you all know, it's responsible for some bizarre death glitches (like the infamous S-tunnel bug). Well, I know it's possible to make it so that touching the bottom of the screen doesn't kill you unless it also happens to be the bottom of the level (I've seen it in many other hacks before), but that's not actually what I want. I made my own half-assed fix, but it was very limiting, so I decided to take it out and do a new one. What I did before was take the GHZ 1 DSR code and change it from

Code (Text):
    1. Resize_GHZ1:
    2.         move.w  #$300,($FFFFF726).w; set lower  y-boundary
    3.         cmpi.w  #$1780,($FFFFF700).w; has the camera reached $1780 on x-axis?
    4.         bcs.s   locret_6E08; if not, branch
    5.         move.w  #$400,($FFFFF726).w; set lower  y-boundary
    7. locret_6E08:
    8.         rts
    to

Code (Text):
    1. Resize_GHZ1:
    2.         move.w  #$300,($FFFFF726).w; set lower  y-boundary
    3.         cmpi.w  #$1000,($FFFFF700).w; has the camera reached $1000 on x-axis?
    4.         bcs.s    locret_6E08     ; if not, branch
    5.         move.w #$400,($FFFFF726).w; set lower y-boundary
    6.         cmpi.w  #$1780,($FFFFF700).w; has the camera reached $1780 on x-axis?
    7.         bcs.s   locret_6E08; if not, branch
    8.         move.w  #$400,($FFFFF726).w; set lower  y-boundary
    10. locret_6E08:
    11.         rts
    (or something like that. I already deleted it. I don't remember.)

Clearly, all this does is it tells the game to scroll downward sooner in the level. It doesn't actually fix the slow camera. I looked around and saw three subroutines that might be what I'm looking for: scrollhoriz, scrollhoriz2, and scrollvertical. I'm not sure if those are what I want or not, but it's my best guess. Suppose I want to make the camera keep up with you at all times. No matter how fast you're going, you're still in the dead center of the screen at all times (with the exception of being on the outer limits of a level, of course). How do I go about making this happen?

10. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    OK, I am trying to edit the title screen for SSD (This is an S2 hack, remember when answering my question. =P) , but my efforts haven't really worked all too well.

It seems that if I try to add a sprite to the title that is too huge, the screen's palette gets thrown out of wack (honestly, it's not all that big though >_>).

How could I edit the title screen without this error popping up?

11. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I had a similar problem in S2 before. I don't remember how I fixed it, but I think it had something to do with using too many pieces in a frame of the mappings.

12. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    What? His palette looks fine. Purple and green go very well together, imo. If you merge the 8x8ghz.bin files, it should all be fine... but the flowers? Unfortunately, you can't fix those squares.

13. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    Having too many pieces (the real "sprites" on the Genesis) will cause the sprite attribute table buffer to spill over the palette data, which comes right after in RAM:
    • $F800-$FA7F: Sprite attribute table buffer.
    • $FA80-$FAFF: Unused (although due to the way Sonic 2's BuildSprites is designed, it is possible for the sprite attribute table buffer to spill over into this area)
    • $FB00-$FB7F: Palette.
    SCHG:Sonic_2/RAM Editing

As for the flowers in GHZ, since they are animated, they are loaded in a different way and SonED2 can't show the art properly.

14. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

So I'm out of luck? Damn. =/

15. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    If you have a lot of small adjacent pieces, you can try putting them together to lower the number of sprites, even if it requires you to duplicate tiles in VRAM (assuming there is still some free space in VRAM). If that doesn't work, you'll have to put your stuff on plane A or B, if they are unused. If they are used... then I think you ARE out of luck, sorry. :P

16. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Unless you can organize the art to use less mapping pieces.

17. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Not possible, I've already downsized the art, any smaller and it loses too much detail.

18. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I didn't mean for you to downsize the art, but arrange the 8x8 tiles so that you can use the least amount of mapping chucks in each frame. So you can use the biggest chucks possible (I think the biggest size is 4x4 tiles, but I don't remember for sure).

19. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Yes, the biggest size possible is 4x4, arranged like
    048C
    159D
    26AE
    37BF
    (iirc)

20. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    Okay, well I found out how to fix the S-tunnel glitch (the right way), but like I said, just making the game know the difference between the bottom of the screen and a pit isn't what I'm after. I want to make the camera lock on to Sonic, so that he's always in the dead center of the screen, no matter how fast he's moving. I'm hoping this will fix certain other things, like the graphical/collision bugs that occur when you're moving faster than the camera.