don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. Mikel

Mikel

Well, to start off, If you are using the Sonic 1 Split Disassembly (I suggest the AS or ASM68k versions) released in June of 2005, download ConTEXT, and the M68k highlighter found in SCHG How-to:S1 Split Guides/Basic ASM Editing (Spin Dash)

Then, If you are starting on level editing, use SonED2 only if your are using split disassembly, and if you using hex, use ESEII for beginners, be warned, ROMs hacked with ESEII will not work with Split Disassembly, if you use the original SonED, you need a savestate for Sonic 1 to edit a Sonic 1 level with SonED. For SonED2, you may need to download this.

Lastly, for new characters, read the SCHG How-to:Add Extra Characters guide for adding a new character in Sonic 1, and for a guide on using SonMapED, read SCHG How-to:Use SonMapEd/Part 1, and SCHG How-to:Use SonMapEd/Part 2.

I hope this helps you, if you have any questions, be sure to ring me up via PM.

2. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    I would like to know if is there a way to change the starting positions of the characters in SADX. I've been messing with the object layout files and camera position files, but no clue about the starting positions. If there's a way, I would like to know how it's done. For a test I would make the characters starting positions the same as Sonic for the "Windy and Ripply" section of Emerald Coast, so they don't start it in that spring in the middle of nowhere.

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    And some people clearly will never learn how to refrain from being a prick when somebody asks a question. The mere fact that he asked if the title cards were editable implies that, if so, he would like to know how to edit those title cards. You know that as well as anyone else, and the fact that you chose to be an asshole about it regardless is nothing short of a dick move.

Why do you find it necessary to continuously bash people? For fucks sake, it's not that hard to show a bit of common courtesy.

4. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Heh, I thought that too.

I don't know how to edit them but from messing with the ROM with a decompresser I know that Sonic 3 stores the characters used by the title cards as compressed files. And it stores only the characters each title card uses, not them all. E.g., for Angel Island, there's a compressed block with the letters for ADGILS (the letters from ZONE seem to be loaded from somewhere else). So that's something to deal with.

5. Thanks Sik + Tweaker. Any idea what decompression method to use?

6. Alriightyman

Alriightyman

I am back... from the dead! Tech Member
    Somewhere in hot, death Florida
    0101001101101111011011100110100101100011 00000010: 0101001100000011 01000101011001000110100101110100011010010110111101101110
    I beleive it's the Kosinski Moduled format.

7. Is there a guide out there to understanding ASM code... I've seen pages telling you how to do specific things but I can't find a guide that helps me understand it. I've managed to pick up the most minor of things by looking through the code my self but was hoping there was something out there to aide me.

If so please could you link it to me.

If not any stories about people have come to understand it would be nice.

8. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    SCHG How-to:Work with Motorola 68000 assembly
    Try that.

9. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    What palette does the GHZ waterfall and water sparkle belong to?

10. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Durp, it's found in the regular GHZ pallete. Second pallete line, iirc

11. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    It isn't there. I got rid of every blue in the GHZ pallete and the Sonic Pallete. Anyone else have an idea? (BTW, I can change the water color, just not the sparkles or waterfall.)

12. The Prof

The Prof

The Island Professor Member
    Orkney, Scotland
    Sonic 1 Yarmar Edition
    If you're using a disassembly then it is called c_ghz.bin. Not sure where in the ROM it is though.

13. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    That's because the flowing waterfall palette is stored seperately. It uses it's own palette line which is seperate from EHZ's main palette. In a disassembly it's stored in "(name of disassembly folder)\art\palettes\EHZ ARZ Water.bin"
    And as you might have guessed from the file name, this rotating palette is also used for Aquatic Ruin Zone's water as well.

14. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    What he said, beat me to it.
    Also, $001B86 to $001BA5 (iirc)

15. c1owd

c1owd

Previously 'CarrascoZX0' Member
    A while back I had a problem with the Spinning Wheel Transporter on Scrap Brain Zone... I thought it just happened cause I fast fast forward the emulator... But when I went back to it (Without fast forward) It was still there... And I have no clue how to fix it... Heres a picture of the problem...
    [​IMG]
    Please help me... Thx

16. I want to change the text in the title cards in S3K. Firstly I want to change CNZ's Title Card Text. I have used ESE II Decompressor to do this. I've chosen all the correct settings for it and so I get a DAT file as a result.

a) Do I use a hex editor to open up the DAT?
    b) If a is correct, what do I change?

A Link for the DAT is here: http://www.loftyd.net/CNZTitleCard.DAT

Thanks

17. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    I'd like to edit the models in SADX:PC. I have CHRMODELS.DLL and a hex editor, and I've read the community hacking guide, but it's not making sense to me. I can't find the SADX model editor program either, because the link is dead. Can anyone help?

18. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

I have no idea what's going on. Member
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    I've been trying to figure out the sound system for Sonic 2. I think I may have an understanding of it now, but I'm not sure. So what I'm going to do here is describe how I think it works, and someone's going to correct me if I'm wrong. There are three subfolders of the sound folder: DAC, music, and PCM. Inside the music folder are all the songs in the game. Inside the DAC folder are files named Sample 1.bin through Sample 7.bin. And inside the PCM folder is just the Sega sound, but that's nothing important, so forget that. Now my theory is that whenever the game needs to play music, it just calls upon the music file, and that's that, but sounds (such as jumping, picking up rings, and so on) are handled differently. From what I can tell, the ASM seems to build those sounds from various samples within the Sample #.bin files, meaning you can't just open up your DAC folder, replace supertransformation.bin with nowillshowyou.bin, and expect it to work like you can with music (and yes, I'm sure that is a gross oversimplification). Am I on the right track so far?

19. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Sonic 2 sounds are actually in the main s2.asm file itself due to z80 pointers iirc. DAC is the percussion used in the songs.

20. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

I have no idea what's going on. Member
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    Okay, even worse. The sounds are built in the ASM without an actual audio file.

In any case, maybe it'd be possible to change music/supersonic.bin to nowillshowyou.bin, since some of the song files play as one time sounds, like the 1up jingle. Then I could just comment out the transformation noise.

Would that be doable? And if so, how?

ALSO: I don't actually have nowillshowyou.bin, I have nowillshowyou.wav. I've seen some stuff about changing music in the game to wavs, but I'm not entirely sure how that works.