don't click here

Who here started with Sonic 1, honestly.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Diablohead, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Oh dude, I got a genesis the christmas sonic 1 was released. I was hooked by the TV advertisements. I knew I wanted sonic before I even played it.

I love Sonic 1 and to this day I think it's better than Sonic 2.

2. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    My mum got her MegaDrive with Sonic 2 free- she didn't actually have Sonic 1 until a few years after.

3. Lizam

Lizam

Lizam Member
    Australia
    Mario & Sonic: Worlds Clash
    I received Sonic 2 along with a Sega Megadrive in 1994 for Christmas when I was only 4. Since then, I eventually obtained the rest of the Megadrive Sonic games and became hooked ^^

4. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    I'll be honest and say I didn't know Sonic 1 existed before playing Sonic 2. You could call me a retard for not noticing the "2" in the title, but I was a slow (and very young) kid and couldn't count I guess. I always referred to Sonic 2 as "Sonic the hedgehog game" and I didn't play Sonic 1 until my babysitter brought it over to my house one day.

5. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I played the first 3 Sonic games on a emulator when I was little. I'm not sure which one I started with.

6. Mendinso

Mendinso

I'm Who I Am. Oldbie
    I'll be honest and simply say I'm not sure. I do know my first sonic game I owned was Sonic 2, but I really can't remember if I did play the first one before hand. In any case, I did get Sonic 1 a year or two after getting Sonic 2.

7. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    I played Sonic 1 first, but I owned Sonic 2 first. Honestly, I consider Sonic 1 to be the worst of the original set (including 1 - K and CD).

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I was introduced to Sonic 1 a lot later than Sonic 2, actually -- even after Sonic 3. I felt it was fun, but the presentation felt lacking. I didn't play it as much as the other two as a result, and now it's the only one that's really ever a real challenge for me to play through and get all the emeralds.

But the 2P mode was a big reason I played Sonic 2 as much as I did.

9. Malgra

Malgra

Studium Member
    Ditto. I was younger (3 or 4), but I had and infact still have my Master System with Alex Kidd.

I've always had them bought for me in order. So first Sonic 1 MS followed by Sonic 2 MS, Sonic 1 MD followed by Sonics 2, 3, &K, Spinball etc etc.

It probably doesn't make any difference to how enjoyable the games were but at least by playing them in order I got to experience first hand the evolution of the games and how they developed and changed through time. I dunno, it's hard to explain but it was nice being there every step of the way and almost growing up alongside the games.

10. Jof

Jof

Scotland
    Sonic Fantasy
    Well I started out with Sonic 1 technically, but it was a good 4 years after it was originally released (seeing as I was born in 1990). That didn't stop me from obtaining and playing them in order however. It was my Dad who bought me my Megadrive, and I guess he just fed me the next ones when he could.

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It was 1996ish when I first learned of it. Next door had all the Sonic MegaDrive games bar 3 and Spinball, and I can't remember which one I played first.

I have a feeling it wasn't Sonic 1 though. It was either 2 or S&K.

12. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    Me, My brother got Sonic 1 with the megadrive.
    Also my first sonic memory is the green hill boss.

13. Vaiyt

Vaiyt

Oglio p'ru çeu Member
    My cousin had a Genesis with Sonic 1, Raiden Trad and Alien 3.

14. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

The artist formerly known as WiteoutKing Member
    Worcester, MA
    Two-Bit Pictures and The D-Pad
    Got a brand-new Genesis and Sonic 1 for Christmas when I was 4. I fell in love.

15. Alriightyman

Alriightyman

I am back... from the dead! Tech Member
    Somewhere in hot, death Florida
    0101001101101111011011100110100101100011 00000010: 0101001100000011 01000101011001000110100101110100011010010110111101101110
    I played Sonic 1 on the Genesis/Mega Drive. My aunt had the game and the system so when I went over to visit, I got to play it. She also got Sonic 2 sometime later.

16. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Well my brother had it when I was a toddler, and although I don't remember playing it at that age I probably did. The other game around me as a nipper was Sonic 2 but I don't actually remember playing that before Sonic 1.

So hell, who knows?

17. Jayenkai

Jayenkai

Sonic 2 before Sonic 1. Leant my mate's Megadrive, and he didn't have the first.. So, same goes for him, too!

To be honest, the lack of Spindash kinda ruined me, for Sonic 1.. But.. I got used to it, and have enjoyed it since.

18. I vaguely remember playing either Starlight Zone, or Spring Yard Zone when I was about 5-6. I myself didn't really get into Sonic until the late nineties, with S3K Collection, and SEGA DREAMCAST.

19. Cap

Cap

Strangely, I have a much different Sonic history.
    I first watched the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, and thats what first got me interested in Sonic. I even remeber the very episode I watched. The first games I ever owned were actually Mario Kart 64, and Super Mario 64. Unfortunatly I never owned a Sega Console. So the very first Sonic game I was able to buy was Sonic Advance, and so from there I bought every GBA sonic game there was. Then, the first main stream Sonic game I bought was Sonic Heroes. Simply because it was released on multi-platforms.

So really, I've never once owned a Sega Console, So I could never actually get to play Sonic until it was released on other platforms. Frankly I'm gald the dreamcast died, or I might still be stuck without Sonic.

Also, some may say Sonic 1 was purer. But that may very well be based on nostalgia. So speaking from a neutral view, I always found Sonic 2 that extra bit more fun.

20. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    It's the very first game I ever played, and I still love it today. I was like 8 or 9 at the time. Sega Genesis was the very first console I owned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.