don't click here

General Character Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Sorry, but I seriously prefer the older design. This new one looks awkward and ill-fitting—not to mention unfaithful to the original sprite. At least Sonic still represents the original poses more or less exactly the way he should.

2. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Let me express my opinion.

The fur on his tail should not be separate by shading since it is only one surface (only the color changes).
    I don't like that expression, it transmit something like an artificial happiness and I think it would be like, a mix between innocence, fear and confidence. His shoes are not so tall like yours and his head looks a bit bigger than normal.
    I'll try to help you when I finish my current art :(.

3. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    [​IMG]
    A mix from the older and the newer. (Lower head and body, eyes, and smile on new one)

Thanks for the suggestions, and continue to spot errors so I can post revisions of it.

EDIT: ME just read now your message, I'll continue work on it tomorrow ^^

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Please just switch back to the old design. If I had to control that in game I would literally vomit. It's not working at all.

5. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Test Subject #15
    [​IMG]

6. Sciz

Sciz

Some quick and dirty photoshopping:

[​IMG]

And I forgot to list the removal of the dark shadow on his tails between the orange and white. Also note that after everything I did to his head, I ended up having to move the entire right half in a bit to keep it from being too wide.

Bah, just noticed that I forgot to edit his left glove. You get the idea, though. Might want to pull his left sock up a hair, too.

edit: The more I look at this the more something doesn't feel quite right about the head. His left ear needs to stick out a bit, not quite as far as his nose, but not exactly flush with his skull either.

7. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last one is the current one

Thanks for the notices Sciz, I've read your message now, but this morning I was already reworking the skull, which was based on artworks but looking "strange" in-game. Also the eyes were staring down, the ear too big.

Continue to post suggestions guys, I want to close this character's pose in the evening. ^^

8. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Excepting for the glove, the shoes and the lightspot, I still prefer the middle one x.x Because of the orange part near the farther eye.

9. Strike Da Mic

Strike Da Mic

Illustrator / Musician Member
    Niederglatt, Switzerland
    GameRights.ch, Sonic 2 HD
  10. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    OMG, what have you done to his hands and legs?!

11. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    LOL, Now you said I noticed the legs xD

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Does this have to be decided in a hurry? :v:

About the rightmost Tails, and comparing it to the artwork:
    -Eyes should be a little wider.
    -Mouth is a bit in the wrong place, I think.
    -Belly should be rounder.
    -Legs should have the same thickness from start to end.
    -Chest hair shape should be a little different on top.
    -Shoes should be taller.
    -Ears should be placed more on top of his head. A bit like in the first example, but smaller.

I wish I had more time to get into details today, but I'm in a hurry right now. Sorry. :(

13. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Thanks for the detailed feedback guys, it really helps me out ALOT. ^^

Focusing on the face of Tails, "young" Tails or "second" Tails?
    To me the first one looks really much more "Tails", than the second one. (And it can be improved, it's not by any means final)

-As per legs and the hands they were really too big in the standing frame, but aren't on the following ones.
    That's why he has thinner legs. (for how bad they may look, anyway)
    -Darker colour of the gloves is following the original shading and Sonic's gloves colour.

I would like to decide asap the Tails Character Art design as it was done with Sonic and Egg-man, so any new artist can base upon it for the resting frames.

But I'll wait for your visual comments ICEKnight, don't worry! :v:

14. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I think that Tails was draw that way to emphasize (I don't know if I spelled this word correctly xD) the fact that Tails is younger than Sonic, like a chield. Children use to be a litte chubby and small.

15. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    <!--quoteo(post=255152:date=Dec 10 2008, 08:00 PM:name=ICEknight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ICEknight @ Dec 10 2008, 08:00 PM) [​IMG]

16. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    That is great! I can't see much wrong with this one.

17. Sciz

Sciz

[​IMG]

Two small edits:

-Pulled his right ear in a little, as in the sprite.
    -Moved his mouth to be in line with the concept art and most of the official art of the era; except for a directly head-on or side-on view, his mouth is normally right underneath the pupil closest to the camera and fairly close to his jaw.

The right line of his head and the shine on his eyes still bug me a bit, but I can't manage to edit them to be distinctly better, so it's probably just a matter of taste.

It also still seems like he should cast a shadow on his tails, given that the light source is coming from the upper right. In general, I don't think the left glove or shoe (or tail) for both Sonic and Tails should logically be so heavily shadowed in the standing poses, given how the rest of their bodies are shaded, but it's not a huge issue.

18. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Much better! I'm sort of confused about that small curl at the back of his head (should the curve be that short and high up?), the head seems a bit detached from the body for some reason (probably the visible neck), and I prefer Vincent's placement of the mouth better. Still, way to fix things up! ;)

19. Flare

Flare

Personally I think he is slanted too much, I would straighten out his body.

20. Kirinja

Kirinja

ATATATATA! Member
    Isnt his feets a little big? The shoes looks enormous.