don't click here

Sonic CD

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mobiethian, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    To date, I haven't played any better Sonic game.

2. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    I just HAD to make this...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Ashura, if I lived only 20 minutes from Spencer Nilsen I'd be going fucking crazy! I simply love his work! If only I could've been there in '92-93....and I'm not implying that the Japanese soundtrack is by any means "bad," it's just different.

The US Soundtrack is my #1 favorite thing about this game, but I also love the concept and gameplay all around. This game just speaks to me in a different way than Sonic 2 does.

Oh, and the only version I've owned is the US PC version, since like 1998.

4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    One of the more interesting things about Sonic CD is that, like Sonic 1, the background elements are rather large and I suppose fairly detailed.

Sonic 2 and 3K have smaller background elements that feel a lot farther away.

5. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    True. I am currently editing backgrounds for my own purposes, Sonic CD by far has the most detailed backgrounds. They are just something else if appreciated just by themselves. The whole game has a slightly darker, more menacing aura to it, that I don't think has ever been replicated in any Sonic game or ever will be again.

6. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
  7. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Speaking of Sonic CD, I'm surprised nobody's posted this video of Upthorn (and Nitsuja too, but mostly Upthorn) raping it for all it's worth, TAS-style.

I mean, Christ, Collision Chaos 1. Just... Collision Chaos 1.

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Collision Chaos 3 is 1000 times more epic. THE LEVEL CAN BE FINISHED IN UNDER 5 SECONDS!

9. Jeiku

Jeiku

Incredible. Damn it, I'm going to go and try that trick in CC3. Also, I lol'd hard at Sonic outrunning Eggman in WW3. But what's up with those blocks of debris still bouncing after Sonic defeats him? Oh well, this video makes Sonic CD look glitchier than ever anyway.

10. Yeah, saw the TAS yesterday actually. XD Great job by Upthorn and Nitsuja as always!

11. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    That's actually a pretty old trick, one that has been used in non-tool assisted runs for ages.
    And one that I never got it right thus far, no matter how often I tried! Raaaah

12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yeah, that's what makes it so epic. It CAN be done in non-TAS runs, but it's hard... and all this time I never really thought about it.

13. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Well, I downloaded the JPN music and tried the game out with it recently. It's not half bad actually. Made me like some of them a whole lot more.

Palmtree Panic present and good future still suck utter balls though.

Also OMGWTF the Spin Dash is TERRIBLE. I got raped by Metal Sonic because it blew so bad.

It's ok, but S3K is the better game by a long shot. It also fails for introducing that piece of slag known as Amy Rose.

14. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
  15. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    Sonic CD was always a favorite of mine. I love Sonic 1 and Sonic two just took things in the wrong direction for me. Don't get me wrong Sonic 2, 3&k are still great games. But I find my self revisiting Sonic CD and Sonic 1 more often. Time Travel gave it so much more play ability, and the race with Metal Sonic is one of my favorite moments in any Sonic game. I also think the super peelout is a nice attack though I do like the spin dash charge better in 2 and 3&k. The bonus stages were also boss. Sonic CD just had it all I think that's probably why I am somewhat modeling my Sonic fan game after it with the time travel and peelout.

16. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    The Japanese music is da bomb. I have yet to play the game with that music, I think it would be an awesome experience.

17. Bertin

Bertin

I listened to all the Eng. and Jap. versions of SCDs music. Overall I like the Eng. version better. don't get me wrong I love some of the Jap. versions but there are some that aren't as good. I'm not very fond of Toot Toot Sonic Warrior though.

I made a list which music version I prefer for each stage next to each stage is either Jap or Eng.

Key: Jap = Japanese Version Eng. = English Version

Palmtree Panic Present Eng.

Palmtree Panic Bad Future Eng.

Palmtree Panic Good Future Jap.

Collision Chaos Present Eng.

Collision Chaos Bad Future Eng.

Collision Chaos Good Future Jap.

Tidal Tempest Present Eng.

Tidal Tempest Bad Future Eng.

Tidal Tempest Good Future Jap.

Quartz Quadrant Present Eng.

Quartz Quadrant Bad Future Jap.

Quartz Quadrant Good Future Jap.

Wacky Workbench Present Eng.

Wacky Workbench Bad Future Eng.

Wacky Workbench Good Future

Stardust Speedway Present Eng.

Stardust Speedway Bad Future Eng.

Stardust Speedway Good Future Eng.

Metallic Madness Present Eng.

Metallic Madness Bad Future Eng.

Metallic Madness Good Future Jap.

Boss music Jap.

Special Stage Music Eng.

Speed Shoe Music Eng.

Invincibility Music Eng.

Level Clear Music Eng.

Sonic CD Theme Eng. (As I said before I don't like Toot Toot Sonic Warrior...)

18. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    Oh hello bertin. :thumbsup:
    Just listening to the songs doesn't do anything. You have to actually play the game to see how well some songs flow with the stages they're played in.
    Which is why I consider Palmtree Panic Bad Future JP to be one of the most amazing songs in the game. It perfectly captures the atmosphere of the stage, a polluted, destroyed dystopia reflecting in the song which is utterly horrible and painful, but at the same time in that horribleness extremely beautiful.
    There'd be a lot of other songs I'd disagree with you but I'll leave it at that for now.

19. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I was one day contemplating writing a huge editorial-style piece about Sonic CD's two soundtracks, since Sonic Gems has actually got me into the US version, so there's a mixture of both I like (For example, US Tidal Tempest Present is such a relaxing, soothing little ditty. It's amazing), but I would have to say the JP soundtrack forms a more cohesive whole than the US version, and makes the game seem more polished. Add to that the fact that I personally have always love Japanese techno for it's stolen 1990's European House Music riffs, yet far superior dynamics that bend around and pack the most energy into the parts that matter.

Final word? Neither soundtrack sucks. US version has some genuinely great moments (Palmtree Panic, Tidal Tempest, Wacky Workbench and Stardust Speedway are all very lovely) and the JP version is more experimental (The vocals in Stardust Speedway, for example, divide people greatly. I personally love them though) and more interesting, but to some that actually detracts from their listenability.

Personally, I'd say given Sonic CD's abstract, experimental nature, the JP soundtrack (Being of a similar 'groove', dadio) is the better complement to it.

But, to each their own.

20. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Actually the english (as in england) soundtrack was the same as the japanese soundtrack... :thumbsup:

SEGA of Japan and Europe decided to use Naofumi's masterpiece, SEGA of Amerifag was the only one who thought it should be thrown in the bin. Don't get me wrong though I like the American one too, there are some great tracks in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.