General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Why the hell would you blur the character sprite when the background's the part that's actually moving?

Honestly though, it would make sense to do motion blur, but don't focus on it. Maybe use it in an extra option.

2. Death of Rats

Death of Rats

-Sonic 2 HD- Zone Art Coordinator Member
    Still images aren't going to give us a good idea of what motion blur would add/distract from the gameplay of Sonic 2. Think of any 3d game with motion blur, in screen shot form it is a blurry mess. In motion it can look good (see CoD4 or Bioshock). It's not something that's easy to conceptualize with still images. I think this may be a discussion to hold off on until we have something playable in front of us.

3. tophski

tophski

Good point about the background being blurred rather than the main character, although you could argue that where its pysically innacurate, stylistically speaking you could possibly get away with it. All of which is moot, as no-one really likes the idea anyway. What a dumbass suggestion in the first place, lets all point and laugh at him..erm me that is :argh:

4. Growler's picture is not a good example of the blurring concept (yes, I know it was a quick job).
    The two immediate reasons for this are:

1. The HUD should not be blurred as it is fixed with respect to the camera.
    2. It appears the blurring is omni-directional (Gaussian), motion blur should only occur in the opposite direction of the motion.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I've been thinking that perhaps there could indeed be some real-time blur, but something like what can be seen in the revised wallpaper I posted a few pages ago...

Take a look at Sonic's right ear in this post. The background accidentally got sligthly shrunk when I tried to make his ears smaller, but it kinda looks like an effect caused by the speed so I left it in there.

Perhaps something like that would look good in motion?

6. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Moved into General Project Thread

If we'll ever decide to add a blur effect it would need to be a slight effect, but anyway, I think I'll prefer the option to differentiate the running animation.

Sonic runs fast most of the time, do you imagine how unfunctional a long blurring effect could be to the gameplay?

7. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    I think that we should add blur to the sonic sprite only.. I mean, if we blur the other things like the zone...it will be a pain for our eyes after 5 mins running xD...

But, Lets try both...

NEXT: Depth of field >_>, HDR Effects, bloom, and remember reality is brown.
    [​IMG]

xD

8. burpingcat

burpingcat

I'm not arguing for or against the motion blur, but I thought I'd make a better (and most importantly, animated) mock-up of it for you guys to judge.

http://www.filedropper.com/ehzmotionbluri

It's short, so watch it again and again to get the idea. The second sequence has more motion blur to it than the first.

9. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    Don't bother with the blur until the game is done; if it makes it in at all it should be one of those features we can disable if we wish.

10. kcowolf

kcowolf

Oldbie
    tophski: Don't get discouraged! I like the idea and your sample picture. I agree with other people that if anything, the background is what should be blurred, and that if this gets done it shouldn't be until the rest of the engine is ready (though it would be nice if the engine were made in such a way that effects like this could be supported without a lot of extensive rewriting).

burpingcat: I liked the video. Seeing it in action helps a lot. From the video, maybe the effect would just be a bit too subtle to notice.

11. My first thought is that this would be a feature that could be enabled or disabled; I see no reason why it should be otherwise.

12. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    That's a fantastic concept. Excellent contribution :argh:

13. kezzzs

kezzzs

I can't see it ;) filedropper won't allow me to download for some reason

14. burpingcat

burpingcat

15. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
  16. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Actually that was just because I'd just taken a screenshot of Sonic running, and basically added motion-blur to it [with Sonic being on a different layer]. I tried to hide the blurred effect on the HUD, but it didn't work ^^;

I actually used Paint.NET for this [mostly] - which I suppose is partly why it was a poor mockup

*edit* never mind, posted a little too late there ^^

17. kezzzs

kezzzs

How did you do that?

18. burpingcat

burpingcat

I got separate PNGs of the background, the foreground platforms, and Sonic's sprites. I then took it into Adobe Premiere and animated it myself, trying to keep it looking close to how the game moves. Doing it this way let me apply motion blur to specific layers rather than the whole thing. Because the foreground platforms scroll faster than the background, it makes sense for that to have the majority of the motion blur.

If I could find complete, isolated (no BG, characters, HUD, etc.) PNGs of levels, I could put together what it would look like in an actual level. Some of the other zones (CPZ and ARZ come to mind) have some interesting things that could look cool with it. Personally, I probably wouldn't want it blurring while I'm trying to do some quick-paced platforming. But I think having the blur there for the uncontrollable super-fast moments could be cool.

19. Magitek

Magitek

USA
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.