don't click here

Your idea of the Sonic "canon"

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 87th, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I notice people are leaving Chaotix out of their definition of canon—was there not a Team Chaotix in Sonic Heroes, which if nothing else touched upon the main storyline slightly? You know, with Shadow not being dead and all.

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I think it's just general hate towards the 32X =P

3. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Myself, I wasn't saying Chaotix was bad, nor I think so; but I unavoidably think of games that came directly from Sonic 1 to be the main series, exclusively. But obviously Knuckles Chaotix is way better than, say, Shadow the hedgehog =P

4. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    <!—quoteo(post=183753:date=Mar 12 2008, 05:25 PM:name=Overlord)—><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Overlord @ Mar 12 2008, 05:25 PM) [​IMG]</div><div class='quotemain'><!—quotec—>I think it's just general hate towards the 32X =P<!—QuoteEnd—></div><!—QuoteEEnd—>
    How can you hate a console that didn't even have a chance? (c'mon, with 36 games you can't do much...)

5. Sonic 1
    Sonic 2
    Sonic 3
    Sonic CD
    Chaotix
    Adventure 1
    Adventure 2
    GBA Games
    Heroes

I would say, though my memory is rusty so I may be leaving out some games I might normally put in. Anyway, the Handheld games aren't in there cuse they honestly felt more like tiger-electronic rips to me then real Sonic games, and I think the team wasn't too worried about them either. They were just spin-offs to get Sonic on the Game Gear to me. As for Why Sonic CD was placed after Sonic 2 and 3, it's because the way I see it by that time, Robotnik has a finalized Metal Sonic from Sonic 3. The design we see in Sonic 3 could be called a revision but the Sonic CD one seems to be a final revision. It's used as the design in all future games (or most of them, if I'm mistaken). Plus, I would consider the introduction of Amy a bit weird before Sonic 2 and somewhat after as well. This "timeline" has a nice, smooth progression of introducing characters. So after Sonic CD, we wounder "Why wasn't Knuckles in there?". Chaotix explains that. And Tails? Most likely rebuilding the Tornado again after his last adventure. =P

6. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    <!—quoteo(post=183753:date=Mar 12 2008, 07:25 PM:name=Overlord)—><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Overlord @ Mar 12 2008, 07:25 PM) [​IMG]</div><div class='quotemain'><!—quotec—>I think it's just general hate towards the 32X =P<!—QuoteEnd—></div><!—QuoteEEnd—>
    Or the fact that Chaotix is very flawed game. There's barely any badniks, the level design is just a messy pile of tiles seemingly placed at random, it takes genuine effort to stop hating the new characters, and the whole ring bond concept is utterly unappealing and should have been limited to a special stage.
    It's not as bad as Sonic Riders or something, but making that analogy made me feel like I was comparing illnesses.

7. SonicAD

SonicAD

Oldbie
    <!—quoteo(post=183675:date=Mar 11 2008, 06:48 PM:name=Dark Sonic)—><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dark Sonic @ Mar 11 2008, 06:48 PM) [​IMG]</div><div class='quotemain'><!—quotec—>According to Sonic 06's story, the whole game never happened, making it not canon.<!—QuoteEnd—></div><!—QuoteEEnd—>

That doesn't mean it didn't happen, that just means that it happened, and then got unhappened.

And, the Sonic canon is nothing, you should see the arguments I've seen about Doctor Who continuity... gets absolutely ridiculous.

8. Yeah, it's a shame that the mainstream doesn't seem to remember Sonic Pocket Adventure. It was a brillant title.

9. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    <!—quoteo(post=183782:date=Mar 12 2008, 09:19 PM:name=Friend of Sonic)—><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Friend of Sonic @ Mar 12 2008, 09:19 PM) [​IMG]</div><div class='quotemain'><!—quotec—>Yeah, it's a shame that the mainstream doesn't seem to remember Sonic Pocket Adventure. It was a brillant title.<!—QuoteEnd—></div><!—QuoteEEnd—>
    I don't think it's a case of the mainstream forgetting Sonic Pocket Adventure, as I don't believe they've ever heard of it in the first place. Lovely game despite the low interest from the general consensus.

10. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Honestly things would continue exactly the same if Sonic Pocket Adventure was in the mainstream :/

11. Er, all of them? Except maybe Gameworld, Jam, and all those other things that don't have a story. I mean, I even consider Sonic R canon. Despite the sheer badness of Shadow, Sonic Next, and whatnot, I still accept their place in the storyline; I'm not going to be in denial saying that "LA LA LA LA LA Shadow died in Sonic Adventure 2 and he never came back LA LA LA LA LA".

12. Sherbet

Sherbet

That's more like it. Member
    A lot of people never owned a Neo Geo Pocket Color. In fact, I'm willing to bet most of the people here who have played it did so via emulation.

Wonderful game, and ties the classics with the 3-D games. Games I truly consider canonical, with a few notes off to the side:

Sonic the Hedgehog 91 (Obviously.)
    Sonic CD (Gotta be canon.)
    Sonic 2 (Again.)
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles (I consider Hyper Sonic and Hyper Knuckles canon. That's just my thing.)
    Knuckles' Story [Sonic 3k] (Some people have the nerve to claim it never happened. What the hell?)
    Knuckles' Chaotix (This is an iffy one. It did introduce the Chaotix, so that's enough for me to call it canon. Also I loved it.)
    Sonic Pocket Adventure (16-Bit to 3D link. Not only that, but a solid Sonic game.)
    Sonic Adventure (This happens to be where some people stop. Somewhat interesting that peoples' opinions determine whether or not a game happened.)
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Heroes (Who cares if you don't like it. It happened. Get over it.)
    Shadow the Hedgehog (See Sonic Heroes.)
    Sonic the Hedgehog 06 (If you didn't like it, again, see Sonic Heroes.)

Rush and Rush Adventure fit in there somewhere, as do the Advance games. Battle is VEEERY debatable though.

Game Gears games are a no, even if I enjoy a lot of them. 3-D Blast brought nothing plot-wise, and Knuckles randomly leaves the Floating Island. I'd judge this as non-canon, but I can't really be sure.

If I forgot something... oh well.

Another good point. Let me rephrase it to fit the more common opinion of those on these forums.

13. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    I once heard Sonic Battle should go immediately after Sonic Heroes. Which also would explain why he's in Rouge's house, as they didn't break up the team yet.

Anyways, all the games that are non-canon in theory are games that could easily go alone (Sonic Spinball, Sonic Pocket Adventure, etc.). Meaning they can be both either in or out from the storyline and nothing would change. So I guess that implicitly makes them somewhat canon?

14. Yuzihax

Yuzihax

I don't post much, if ever. Member
    That makes me reconsider what I put in my own list, since aparrently, GameGear games didn't bring anything plot-wise to the series.
    (I really should start asking myself these kinds of questions before I go off making lists, shouldn't I? :P)

15. Danika

Danika

... Oldbie
    Nothing atm
    My idea of the Sonic canon is...

*Sonic 1
    *Sonic 2
    *Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    *Sonic CD
    *Knuckles Chaotix (Hey, it introduced the Chaotix...)
    *Sonic Adventures 1 and 2
    *Sonic Advance series
    *Sonic Heroes (OK, I guess, but not as good as the Advances and Rushes)
    *Sonic Rush
    *Sonic Rush Adventure
    *Shadow the Hedgehog (Feh, I didn't like it too much...)
    *Sonic 360 (I know it sucked, but it belongs...)

Also, the Master System/Game Gear games belong in there somewhere, but Sonic 3D Flickies Island doesn't imo...

And I haven't played Sonic Pocket Adventure, although I should try it sometime...

Overall, I have to say that after the Sonic Adventures, the portable series (the Advances and Rushes) were much better.

16. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I thought the point of this thread was more like to determine where a game became more of a spinoff than a part of the official series, inasmuch as Mario Kart is ultimately not really a "Mario series" game but a spinoff (series).

17. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Well then everything is cannon except Riders, R, the Drift games, Shuffle.. Stuff like that.. But K2J is pretty much dead on.

18. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Actually, Sonic 360 IS non-canon, simply because it erases itself from the timeline at the end :P

19. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Yeah, Sonic Team must have thought "Man, I can't believe we have to release this shit... let's make it so that it never happened! Yeah!"

Oh, and my idea of the timeline:
    Sonic 1 happens. Sonic defeats Eggman in Final Zone and goes home. Sonic 1 GG/SMS happens. Same thing.
    Sonic finds out about Eggman's next scheme, and thus begins the events of Sonic CD. Sonic recovers the Time Stones, and so on, and defeats Eggman and Metal Sonic. Sonic watches as Eggman kidnaps Tails, and follows him, starting the events of Sonic 2 GG/SMS. Eggman is defeated, Tails is... found (I have no idea what to make of the ending).
    Some time later, Sonic decides to take a holiday, with his friend Tails, and Sonic 2 happens. Death Egg collapses onto Angel Island (maybe).
    A few months later, Sonic 3 happens. The Death Egg falls back onto the island, blocking a volcano.
    Sonic and Tails fall onto Mushroom Hill Zone, beginning the events of Sonic and Knuckles. Knuckles follows Sonic through the game, probably being behind him due to Knuckles in Sonic 2. I suppose Knuckles thinks Sonic and Eggman are BOTH evil. Anyway, Sonic goes to Doomsday Zone, and defeats Eggman. Knuckles goes to wherever he goes (I forgot), and defeats whoever. Knuckles Chaotix COULD happen here, or after Sonic CD, but after S3K is more likely. Anyway, that happens.
    Some years pass. Sonic Pocket Adventure happens here, I guess. Then Sonic goes over to Emerald City (or whatever) and the events of Sonic Adventure take place. And after that... well, I haven't played past Sonic Adventure. I suppose Sonic Advance happens after this, then Sonic Adventure 2, then Sonic Advance 2, Then Sonic Heroes, Sonic Battle, and Sonic Advance 3. Sonic Advance 3 has to come after Sonic Battle, due to Gemerl and whatever happens. Then comes Shadow the Hedgehog, which is probably the only one I have never even touched, and Sonic '06, which erases itself, luckily.

This assumes that collecting all the Chaos Emeralds is canon, which Sonic 3 says it is. The SMS/GG games... well, I have no idea where Chaos and Blast and the such go. Probably after S3K, but before Adventure.

20. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    Yeah, pretty much.
    In my mind, Adventure and everything after that is part of a different Sonic series. One where Sonic can talk and he lives in big cities with lots of humans. I don't think that keeps in line with the "magical happy animal land" stories of the original games. Sonic X gallantly attempted to add an explanation as to why the shift in story telling happened with some world/dimension transportation story, but that turned out to be even too silly for a series about a 4ft Hedgehog for me to accept as "canon" (yes, that word again).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.