don't click here

Michael Jackson's role in Sonic 3 confirmed!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mad Echidna, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Possibly because they don't know where to look for the backup for those claims, or the others...

2. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Michael Jackson, perhaps?

3. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    I am wondering about one thing though... Why is the music in S3K PC different? All I can come up with is baseless conjecture - any clues?

Other than that... well, if MJ music was ever in a ROM (which is unlikely), we will probably soon find out...

4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    What's that supposed to mean? I've got the red text 'cause I'd assume that's what you're implying, but we do, after all, have Moonwalker.

5. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    What I heard was that the songs on the Genesis had small ADPCM sound samples. Midi at the time did not fully support such, so it was technically impossible to translate those songs into midi. (That is, "Some people's computers could play it, but not all, which is not what we wanted")

I believe it is a coincidence that the more Jacko-related tracks also used little sound clips in them.

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    But those songs were also not included among the Sonic Screensaver sound files!

I wouldn't say "coincidence" though -- I would say that it was a style choice of the composers to do that, probably ones who worked closer with Jackson.

7. ChaotixTails

ChaotixTails

Custom title member Oldbie
    For something seemingly argued as definitively not true there seems to be a lot of debate going on.

8. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Were the song files for the Sonic screensaver midi, or wav?

Only if it was wav would it seem to be a real weird thing to me. Of course, if they're wav-ized midis, then I believe there's a possibility they simply used the Sonic collection midis.

I dunno, I don't have the files to scrutinize at the moment.

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    WAVE

ripped from the games, not the Collection MIDIs

at a very low rate -- about 11kHz, mono.

It also had the full soundtracks, including SFX, from Sonic 1, 2, and CD (J). All the S3 SFX as well, I think.

10. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Then it is, indeed, strange.

However I maintain the ADPCM thing, unless somebody can find an ADPCM clip song they translated to midi anyway.

I'm thinking they couldn't get the rights to the music made by the Jacko composers in the wav case, considering what happened with Sonic Spinball and the original Sonic 1 tune they used there.

11. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I decided to upload the whole \sound folder from the Sonic Screen Saver, just for the sake of it.
    The ?? is right, MJ's tracks aren't there even if the archive is in WAV format.

http://rapidshare.com/files/70275676/SOUND.rar

I may upload the whole S&K collection CD-Rom cue/bin or something for archival purposes if needed...

edit:
    I uploaded that for real. Probably it was already uploaded somewhere, but this can't hurt. It is a direct rip of my S&K Collection CD. Yup, I bought it original, I still used to respect the laws back then.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/70386914/Sonic..._Collection.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/70390545/Sonic..._Collection.r00
    http://rapidshare.com/files/70398378/Sonic..._Collection.r01

Download the three parts and put them in the same folder. Then extract.
    This is done in the Clone CD format, but the .cue, if used with the .img, is universal (Nero at least can read it).
    Well, enjoy.

12. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    sorry to state the obvious here, but if jackos work was taken out "at the last minute" then why are so many songs similar to MJ songs?

and its great that QJimbo acknoledged me with the CNZ - Jam connection :(

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Because those "MJ songs" that similarities were drawn to are, in fact, not composed by Michael Jackson at all—he simply sung them. Stranger in Moscow, Jam (which, by the way, one of the DAC samples SAYS "Jam!" in it—it was pulled directly from the song!), and what have you, were written by people that MJ works with. The likeliest situation is that those sample people did music in Sonic 3, and this is evidenced especially by the Scirocco->Cirocco connection.

14. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie

Holy Crap that's a nice edit! I just wish the main melody of the S3 Credits was able to find a place in there, but it probably wouldn't have worked.

15. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    I found the GamesTM article at my parents' house. I'll scan it when I'm back home in January. 'Til then, you can look at the best thing I left in my old room.
    [​IMG]

16. Snake

Snake

Tech Member
    Heh :) I wonder how many people made their own edit like this? I know I did :D

17. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Check this out! It's an INSTRUMENTAL version of Stranger in Moscow....not that there's any doubt left between MJ and Sonic 3's music...especially the credits.....it's amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRpo3Zefxm8

In fact I wouldn't doubt that they used this exact sample to make the S3 Credits....or vice versa...since SiM wasn't out till '96

18. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Whoa! Is there a higher quality version of that around anywhere?

Without all the lyrics and pure strings, you can really tell the connection! Excellent find!

19. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Damn! That blows it wide open! What a find!

20. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    This is pretty strange, a Stranger in Moscow Instrumental doesn't exist on any album (that's what wikipedia says). I'm even listening this with headphones and I hear no after effects from vocal removing with a program like Audition. I found the song he used on the video though, and I don't know if it's exactly the same or a fan made instrumental. You can find it here: http://profile.imeem.com/3IFhnu/music/jx6v...w_instrumental/

Not trying to be negative, I'm actually hunting down instrumentals of my favorite songs so that's how I know. :P

For shits and giggles, here's something similar with the Sonic 3 Credits:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?n1mnszltaxp

Might not be the best, but see if you can make a compare with that. I recommend using some good headphones to listen to this. :)

Also ~ there IS a MJ Instrumental Album with Thriller, Billie Jean, and Bad (plus some other popular songs). I can find that and post if you'd like. I'm currently searching for Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' and Smooth Criminal (which were released on UK Singles).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.