don't click here

It's Official! Sonic in Smash Bros. Brawl (Pics & Video)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Athelstone, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    I've been a member since 2002... and that means nothing other than I joined in 2002 and saw a lot of stuff. Seriously.

I just prefer Griffith over the other VA. The only true area that isn't sentimental in nature is objective speech qualities—I.E., is Jason Griffith VAing Sonic like he'd speak naturally in a situation, or like a surfer baked on hemp who goes "Ya, Elise is totally in trouble, I gotta save her"?

I prefer in particular a VA who speaks naturally as opposed to strangely, so in reality I don't care who's VAing. If that is Griffith in the clip (Can't be 100% sure) that's good too, because it sounds like he's finally using some inflection, as opposed to none. *Shrugs*

2. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Is Jason Griffith the one from New York? He's no good. I don't really care for Ryan Drummond either. Japanese with English subtitles is the way to go.

3. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    YAY muteKi, general mindless noncontributing member that does nothing but be a general prick.

4. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    K, back from playing Sonic in Brawl at Eforall.

He handles faster than Captain Falcon. Super Sonic is horrendous to aim. He can slaughter people if you hammer on the smashes. Almost all his moves involve curling into a ball and colliding. You can charge the spindash. Regular B is a homing dash which charges up for how long you hold down B.

He is one of the better characters, but, as all of them are fairly equal, that's not saying a ton. He slightly sucks at using items (his poses aren't as good as many other character's), holy heck can he JUMP (Especially straight up), one of his taunt animations is like that figure-8 thing he does in Sonic CD, and his costumes are simply different colors. No Shadow costume.

He can jump pretty nicely and he has momentum even after the jump runs out. He has a lot of combo-y normal moves, he'll often hit 3-5 times in a row.

And again, I cannot over-emphasize how fast he is running. He can also stomp downwards from mid-air with a down-A—it's pretty awesome.

His running dash is a quick turn-into-ball form thing which can knock people around quite a bit.

I beat about 7 out of 10 people I encountered, one of the people who beat me nearly lost, even though it was my first time ever learning brawl (and they'd had the previous two days to practice.)

5. Kama

Kama

Sittin on my Bench, Watchin the sunset. Member
    Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    Becoming a freelance artist and writer
    I've had a suspicion since the day Snake was announced for Brawl, that Sonic would be in the game. Sonic Team's little olympics game seemed to enforce the idea. Nice to know it's finally official. (A little late posting I know)

On the subject of his voice, I really don't care what they use. None of the english actors ever gave the character any justice if you ask me. Personally they should just hire an actor and make him speak in their natural voice. Always disliked the cartoon voice idea, would be nice to hear Sonic sound like a normal human being.

6. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Do you recall what colors? I wanna brace my self for the onslaught of fantardation here.

Oh, and while I think calling Ninty is futile, Drummond >>>>> Griffith x 10. Never cared for the JPN guys, and Griffith's voice always makes me do a faceplam somewhere. Not as bad as Vector's computer room, or Rouge's sleepy ass but still.

7. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Black, red, green, and normal. I think possibly orange.

I'll pay closer attention tomorrow, but they weren't very exciting.

8. Sakura Courage Solo

Sakura Courage Solo

I am a Woodpecker! Except in Dirt! Member
    Lava Reef Zone
    A Sprite-Based Dollmaker and a Card Game
    Agreed 100%. No one else should have EVER touched the voice of Sonic the Hedgehog. I mean, come on, most of us who grew up watching Sonic TV shows probably feel Sonic doesn't sound right with any voice actor other than Jaleel White. Or at least that's how I feel.

9. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    I did, and I don't. I saw Drummond's portrayal as an aging of Sonic for the times. It was pretty cool which Griffith is not.

10. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    *Switches color to green and picks up a green sword* You knew it was coming.

But in all of the Brawl videos I've seen, I saw only one difference in Sonic's colors, and that'd be his shoes. I would link to a video in which four Sonic's we're battling to show Four Blue Sonics, but goshdang it, One of them looks Black, and when he jumps, you can clearly see red highlights. The quality sucks, but there is no denying the red in the jump.

Proof'd.

Edit: While the colors of the Sonic's are hard to see, it seems to be two Blue Sonics, a Black Sonic, and a Dark Green, If I am not mistaken.

Edit2: In the victory screen, they are all Blue.

11. Sakura Courage Solo

Sakura Courage Solo

Lava Reef Zone
    Eh, well I didn't say ALL of us. *shrugs* Maybe its a subconcious thing, but to me, Sonic doesn't sound like Sonic without Jaleel White voicing him... or maybe that's one too many episodes of Sonic Underground while eating microwave pizza and drinking Vanilla Coke before bed talking...

12. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Call me crazy, but I always thought Jaleel White sounded like a nasally sack of shit, and I would immediately cease playing the new games if Sonic sounded like that.

Your nostalgia clearly clouds your judgement.

13. Sakura Courage Solo

Sakura Courage Solo

Lava Reef Zone
    ... probably, so I've got no argument against that one.

14. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Tweaker pretty much summed my opinion up on that matter.

Anyway, this video pretty much confirms what Sonic's victory theme sounds like (well, if you listen carefully - it's easier in this one than the other videos I've seen, though). Unsurprisingly, it's the same one it's ever been since S3&K. Somewhat surprisingly, it specifically sounds like the variant from Sonic 2K6...

Oh, and if that doesn't tickle your fancy, watch the video anyway just to see the fight's ending. Man. That's awesome.

15. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
  16. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    Brawl: Best Sonic game of the year.

17. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That's Senoue's work—I can tell. FUCKING AWESOME!

EDIT: FUCK YOU FOR CUTTING IT OFF D:

18. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    So can I. I read the website.

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I probably should have said, "all right," since I'm aware it was on the website. Just pointing out that I recognize his style. =P

20. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Wow that music is awesome!

I like how he fused both acts together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.