don't click here

Sonic 2 early prototype, dumped

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Nov 7, 2006.

1. ComPro

ComPro

Just hangin' around. Member
    If you get to the Star Light Boss (EHZ) while in 2-player mode, Fusion totally crashes. I haven't tried it in any other emulator, but I found that to be interesting.

2. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Clarification on what I said earlier - it displays properly as an 8bpp bitmap. However, there are not anywhere near 256 colors present, I think it's more like 8.

3. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    More random locations...

4. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    that's because Kega is crap. Load Wai's Beta and switch through the debug objects in dust hill. =P

5. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    That's because in fact, it's very probably that this is some graphic from a Megadrive. MD programmers often use 2/4/8bpp bitmaps, and just use converting subroutines in the ROM.

6. I went to EHZ's boss in 2-player in Gens+ . The only difference being that Eggman's graphics are totally fucked up. Not where they're just some mixed up tiles, but rather a random pixel-type of garbled. Didn't freeze for me. Defeated boss routines were the same; I killed him, and the game goes back to the title screen.

7. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    http://www.homestead.com/specialvegetadays...s/Other/s2a.bin

^ I fixed the collision in GHZ. Though this trashes the collision to all the other levels. I had to replace the collision array with the S1 collision array, same with the curve and resistance data. (I got thrown off 'cause I didn't realize this beta had two sets of Curve and resistance data...)

I also want to say, I can't figure out what collision format is used for the 16x16 tiles or the 128x128 tiles. None of the known formats seem to work. (although the compressor might be acting up) I was trying load load up GHZ in SonED 2, but I had to grab my data from a savestate 'cause I couldn't figure this out.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It's not made out of palettes, it was just easier to spot looking at it that way. Could have been just a test with the digitizers to get the hang of the way they worked.

9. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    Might it be possible to replace one set of arrays with Sonic 1's and keep the proto's in the 'normal' (I.I. referenced by the levels) place? then it would be just a matter of making Green Hill point at the 'alternate' array...

Of course, with so little tech. knowledge, I could just be talking out of my ass...

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Right, me and Rika went through the ROM a bit, and noticed that there was curve/resistance mapping and collision arrays for both Sonic 1 AND 2 in the ROM! As a result, GHZ's collision can be fixed simply by changing a few pointers - 10, to be exact. We've come up with 10 GG codes which, when applied, will eliminate all collision errors in GHZ!

Here are the codes:

AA1A-CEAL
    AA1A-CEFT
    AA2A-CEB0
    AA2A-CEB6
    AA0T-CAG6
    AA1A-CAEC
    AA1T-CAA2
    AA1T-CAF8
    AA2A-CADJ
    AA2A-CADR

The only thing that may not work would be loops and tubes, since some of them are set to use secondary collision, which GHZ is not set to have by default in S2. Enjoy!

EDIT: I've made a patch for these codes as well, so you don't have to put them all in manually. Rename it to the same name as your ROM for it to work, and make sure the codes are highlighted.

...read above. XD

11. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    This is true. The background deformation of that ripple in LZ just works on a value in RAM for the weight-height start. If there is no water, the value is 0. Therefore, the ripples start at the very top of the level all the way down, regardless of the fact there is no water.

12. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    byt the way, I didn't see this mentioned, but when defeated facing left, the EHZ boss turns to the right when he falls.

Talk about weirdness... they must've recoded him for the Wai Proto...

13. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Couldn't you now put the old Sonic 1 levels back into it, it would be kinda cool to have Sonic and Tails playing in all the Sonic 1 levels.

14. Super Shadow

Super Shadow

Why is this here? Pending Member
    It's not a bad idea. I'll try to do it.

15. Infinite Tails

Infinite Tails

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Old news. Also happens in the other proto.

17. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Tails doesn't get hurt by spikes in this proto. =P

18. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    Well the game is already switched to 128x128 tiels so I don't think it would be easy to transfer S1's Levels unless you used something like ESE Savestate conversor on S1 savestates and ported and compressed the stuff in hex.

19. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Stop talking nonsense.

20. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Yeah, and that would be crap easy.