Sonic 2 early prototype, dumped

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
  2. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    I started doing the disassembly :) Hope I'll finish soon.

3. Vinnie

Vinnie

Just a quick small insignificant thing. I found the odd Solid tile in Labyrinth Zone.

[​IMG]

4. Sanqui

Sanqui

Random nobody Member
  5. Vinnie

Vinnie

Okay Sorry. I knew It Was Insignificant.

6. Sanqui

Sanqui

Random nobody Member
    That's OK! Just try to not waste posts, you are a trial member, like me d:

7. JJ-Fox

JJ-Fox

:| Tech Member
    So, who's writing the first prayer? =P

But yeah, what a great fucking time for me to be grounded. I just.. really wish I could have been here. Oh yeah, and as always drx, you fucking rule. And thanks to all those who donated to make this happen. It's awesome how we're finding stuff already.

8. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    haw haw

[​IMG]

01C1D8:0007, single code. They kinda shortened the HPZ's PLC for some stupid reason from 8 art pieces to 2. Play around with debug mode, you can also place piranhas. Nice shit.

You can see that also the EHZ buzzbomber was planned for HPZ. Funny, isn't it.

Also, this proves that the tricerobots were planned to be implemented in HPZ very very early (and were!), but they were cut off from there before that build and the HPZ palette has been changed (notice that their colors don't match).

On a side note, I built a program that ran through all GoodGen roms and looked for the Desert Strike-esque map thingy. No matches =/ That might mean it was some game which was canned at an early development stage...

Also, the image ends at $1ffff, so for those that don't know - there's an option for the EPROM programmers to skip FF bytes (which makes programming quicker). Apparently there was a FF filler after the pattern load cues and instead of FFs, it got filled with this... stuff.

Edit: o shit, my grammar sucks at night

9. twix

twix

Pending Member
    ohhhh fancy, prey tell, how do you get that to work? :P
    I just guessed it was a game genie code and tried that but no luck....

10. ExecByte

ExecByte

Ohio
    Sonic: The Lost Worlds
    It means open the ROM with a hex editor and change the bytes at 01C1D8 from 0001 to 0007.
    That will change the length of the pattern load cue from 2 to 8 (so it will load the patterns for all those sprites).

11. Crysta

Crysta

Oldbie
    or, if you use gens, just put it in and turn it on like you would a game genie code :P

12. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    I had fun in HPZ3:
    [​IMG]

13. Mama Luigi

Mama Luigi

Can't complain. Member
    u mama
    Mystery something game
    I tried editing it, and it also worked for 01C10...
    Yeah. And there are two enemies with really messed up graphics (some gibberish mixed with a pig). One's the alternate octupus, and one's the alternate seahorse. 100 points to anybody who can restore their graphics.

P.S.: I don't feel like going through all 27 pages of this topic. Sorry if the fuxed up enemies were already mentioned.

14. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
  15. twix

twix

Pending Member
    cool, I did it, I feel special now!

16. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    EDIT: I made a miscalculation so I dissassembeld part of it to double check and I found it.

$59C6 - Bg Position Index
    $5B4A - Raster Index

17. Quickman

Quickman

Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    I'm surprised nobody noticed or mentioned that the waterfalls, floating platforms and some of the glowing balls are corrupted if you extend the PLC to include the art for the enemies.

18. ChaotixTails

ChaotixTails

Custom title member Oldbie
  19. Vinnie

Vinnie

The "Boss" Pointer from Sonic 1 is still there but the boss data has been removed. So this results in a crash.

[​IMG]

20. Gamerguy

Gamerguy

SHHHHHHH Member
    Tweaker is putting these up on the site, but I guess I can post them here too. I made a few comparison animations:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone wants this done for other locations, post away and I'll make them.