don't click here

Sonic 1 Megamix

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robjoe

Robjoe

Glad to see the layouts were of use to you! The amount of work you've put into this must be catoatrophic, as it really shows. The songs, pallettes, new abilities, and other little advancments always keep me coming back for more. I salute you, Tweaker, for making (dare I say), the greatest hack I've ever played.

2. Rarmander

Rarmander

Poetaster Member
    An Empyreal Child
    Is the double jump supposed to be attracted to enemies and monitors like Sonic's Jump Dash? If you go into options and change to Shadow then go to save files, change it to "Save 1" and press start is it supposed to display the credits?

3. DJ Squarewave

DJ Squarewave

ANIME SLUT Tech Member
    California
    Project 2612
    I'd try it out, but it doesn't work properly on my flash cart. As in, it fails to boot, and just goes to a black screen after the license screen. I tried flashing it with something else, and that gave me a red screen of death instead. Either there's something wrong with your boot code or you haven't patched out the checksum routine...obviously something works differently between emulators and hardware.

I padded the binary to an even 6 megabits (really, every ROM binary should be padded to an even number of megabits) and it booted, but selecting "start game" or "options" gave me a black screen, and "continue" gave me the message:
    "ADDRESS ERROR $000B9AF0 $00200007"

Accuracy in emulators, my ass. :P People playing it on an emulator can give you useful feedback, though. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Noticed that when the error pops up you can resume execution with the C button, and I was able to actually start the game with Shadow. Very cool stuff. It still hangs a hell of a lot, though.

EDIT 2: Most of it seems to stem from the saving. Maybe do a sanity check on the SRAM at boot and clear it if it's corrupt? I did play all the way through, though -- the original levels are ridiculously easy with Shadow. :lol: Good job all 'round, love the Hybrid Front music in there of course. ;)

4. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Tototeks require padding, copiers usually don't (my SMD doesn't).

5. DJ Squarewave

DJ Squarewave

ANIME SLUT Tech Member
    California
    Project 2612
    Doesn't mean it's not a good practice anyway. :thumbsup:

6. Vangar

Vangar

Same with the PSP, it crashes after you select to start the game

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Yeah, problem is most likely with the SRAM... I never considered clearing it before, so I figure I should give it a shot and write a routine that clears the lot of it (or at least what I'm using).

I used to pad the ROM, but in the end I just stopped doing it. Not sure why, but hey. :P

8. LocalH

LocalH

Oh, I agree, I was just stating facts. Any ROM that I code gets padded.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Just a couple of gameplay suggestions:

-Sonic's double-jump forward attack makes the spindash useless, and makes building up speed too easy. I think it would be better if double-jumping only brought the lock-on attack (plus an insta-shield made of the old Sonic shield tiles, perhaps?).
    -The MD games used to have a button layout of C=jump (primary function), B=attack (secondary function), A=special (auxiliar function), which I think could be used here too.

EDIT: By the way, the more I play it the more I'm convinced that it could work quite nicely just with Sonic as the only playable character... I think you should focus on finishing the levels and other stuff before trying to polish Mighty, Shadow or any other characters you had in mind.

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Well, SBZ's layouts are done, and work has started on SYZ1. After SYZ, all that's left is LZ and MZ. w00! =P

11. Rarmander

Rarmander

Poetaster Member
    An Empyreal Child
    I loved the last release and I can say that I can't wait for the next!

12. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    Wow, this is one of the best Sonic 1 hacks I've played, in a while. But there's something that really bothers me about it. Why can't you press the "A" button to jump?

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    You can't use the A button to jump because it has a different function in this game. Atleast for Sonic, it is used for his light speed dash power. You can still use it to spin dash though.

14. LocalH

LocalH

I've long used C to jump anyway, due to S3&K's reverse gravity toggle in debug mode.

15. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    I always use the "C" button whenever I'm playing the Genesis, but whenever I'm using the keyboard, I press "A".

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    And also, the rightmost button is used to jump in 90% of the platform games (including Sonic Advance).

I've always used C as well.

17. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

The artist formerly known as WiteoutKing Member
    Worcester, MA
    Two-Bit Pictures and The D-Pad
    I have might right hand using arrow keys and left doing anything else, so lining it up, my index finger is easier on whatever I put "C" on, not to mention I always used C on the Genesis.

18. SmashFGM

SmashFGM

Wow that's is a really great hack to play. I love all the new features and sounds well done. ;)

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    [​IMG]

:ooooooooo!

Big thanks to Cinossu for running this through to me. Maybe now you'll see even more edited animations in the future, in addition to this. ;)

(and in case you were wondering, that IS the real move, not just a mappings edit or whatever)

20. Shade

Shade

Oh god, yes plz. Careful Tweaker: If you make this hack any better, there is a chance you'll send half the board into an awesome-ness induced coma.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.