don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I would say most fans would agree Superstars is a better game than Forces (which I did like) and Sonic 4 episode 1 so I can't say I'd agree.

I honestly believe equally the people saying this was the worst classic game or that it better than Mania were mostly being hyperbole due to recency bias.

Maybe some actually do believe this but I've played enough Sonic games to know, as far as the series track record goes, this is one of the more replayable titles.

2. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    It's all about priorities. For example, lots of people like Unleashed's level design and overall presentation for story and atmosphere. But I'm someone who isn't the most concerned about individual Sonic stories in a vacuum, and importantly, I enjoy about seven of Unleashed's stages, while the rest is droll werehog gameplay and horribly bloated campaign design (and the less said about the bonus and DLC acts, the better). I gain negative enjoyment from Unleashed's hubs and quests, or even it's weirdly-slow menus, enough that I would genuinely rather play Forces, because it never distracts from its own core gameplay and is remarkably better-paced without wasting time on busywork (also I think people underrate its environments).

So I think it makes sense that people would like Superstars better than Forces or 4, because Forces is shallow and 4 is a few reused stages with jank physics. Superstars has (mostly) accurate physics, deep level design, original (visually) themes, and just more overall ideas and experiments than 4 or Forces. The bosses being slow isn't necessarily a big enough issue to mitigate that for most people.

3. KaiGCS

KaiGCS

Oh, my intention wasn't to argue on the relative quality of Superstars versus Forces, Sonic 4, or any other game. I was just saying that a budget price point has never prevented people from complaining before. :V

4. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Superstars is funny because it's actually really good where it counts: the moment-to-moment gameplay. It's just the package as a whole is so goddamn bland, inconsistent, and janky...

Playing through Freedom Planet 2 rn has me lowkey sad for the state of Superstars lmao. FP2, in addition to awesome gameplay, has a rocking soundtrack, great visuals, and even a decent hub that properly contextualizes and expands upon the gameworld. It feels like a full package where Superstars feels halfassed.

5. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    I would hope a game announced 8 years ago would be more fully featured than this game.

6. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

It's got that boost-era duality of bouncing between the fun part and the less fun part, except in Superstars the worse bits aren't separate levels you can choose not to replay.

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It's beyond annoying to think about how much Superstars could be improved with a simple but rigorous QOL patch (and a fixed soundtrack). It wouldn't be on the same level as Mania, but it could so easily be elevated to another level.

8. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    Unless you're counting spin-offs, which game isn't better than Superstars?

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It's debatable. Personally, I'd put Superstars above CD overall, hovering around the same spot as S1. Then there'd be S2, followed by Mania and finally S3K on top. Thing is though, Superstars is unlike the others in the way that it's not a consistent package. Whilst it's a good package overall, none of the other Classic games dip so low in any way like Superstars does with it's music or boss battles. It also released some 30-odd years after the first game and over half a decade after a more straight-up classic revival. Therefore it's easy to argue about how much it really needs to be held by certain retro sensibilities.

Anyway, I think I'm more likely to call hyperbole on the people saying that Superstars is "S4 Episode 3" then those simply saying it's the worst Classic Sonic game. Because if Superstars is the worst Classic Sonic game, that sets a decently high bar. If you think it's in the same league as S4, I don't think we're going to see eye-to-eye.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
  10. Palas

Palas

Although the idea that Superstars could be in any league near the old ones -- CD most of all -- is unbelievably ludicrous to me, it's also nowhere close to S4. Even when it comes to how it answered to expectations. Saying it's the worst Classic Sonic game is perfectly sensible to me, but also kind of moot in a number of ways like you said: the standards aren't the same anyway.

11. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    this explains it, I try to 100% Sonic games in general so I was always having to navigate these weird, weird janky mechanics to get to the missions and such

12. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I don't like CD. I don't like it's level design. I don't like it's level progression. I think it's ideas are poorly executed.

Sonic Superstars at least plays more like 1 - 3nK and I actually enjoy playing through it fairly. With CD I collect the time stones as soon as possible then run through the one minute levels and beat the 10 second bosses with no feeling of passion or enjoyment.

13. Palas

Palas

If you say so; still, it's far from an exaggeration to claim it's the worst (EDIT: not even counting 4 lmao) if they don't dislike CD as much as you.

On another note, it's funny that the two games have basically opposite complaints about them, but share the same director.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
  14. Kyro

Kyro

superstars is better than 1 and cd imo, and ABSOLUTELY better than the sonic 4 games.

15. Felik

Felik

As the certified CD hater I just can't agree with you. CD's soundtrack absolutely mogs Superstars'. Also between bosses being an absolute joke and being designed to waste as much of your time as possible, I'd choose the former any day of the week

16. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    CD has the benefit of, again, expedience; I would say the depth of Superstars' mechanics and level design is somewhere between Sonic 2 and 3's level (whether its above or below Mania, I'm not sure), but Sonic 1 and CD, despite having gameplay I like less, manage that same pacing that I value (it's just less-pronounced than comparing Forces to Unleashed).

Obviously CD's soundtrack clears, but that's a high bar for any other composition ever made to clear.

17. Kyro

Kyro

I dont disagree with your opinions here, but the difference maker for me is that CD is just never fun to me. Soundtrack is great but where superstars has long drawn out bosses, CD has absolute nothing bosses, obnoxious level design, and some really big pacing issues for me.

Super stars i can actually enjoy replaying a decent selection of stages with a better flow, and I feel much more satisfied overcoming its bosses even if i agree they kinda stink.

But i would not blame anyone for feeling the other way around.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Claiming this game is better than 1 and CD is wild to me. Superstars isn't a bad game, but it's not great, either. The moment to moment gameplay is serviceable, but the bosses are painfully obnoxious. Like there's fun to be had here but there are also much more fun ways out there to spend your time.

19. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    For me? 1, 2, Mania. Doesn't beat 3K, CD, or Advance though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I just played CD yesterday via Sonic Origins, and I kinda agree. CD is ok, but not a lot of fun. I like the idea of the time travel in concept, but the actual mechanic sucks and making a good future is so tedious. The level design leaves something to be desired, but I guess part of that it that the designers were stretched too thin between 4 stages per act. Also the special stages and boss fights just straight up suck. I guess in 30 years Oshima hasn't figured out how to make bosses fun.