don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    That's gotta be one of the weakest GaaS strategies I've ever heard. And I played Omega Strikers.
    You're just describing basic post-launch support with costumes. Nothing about that is GaaS.

2. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Superstars is not a live service game, nor should it be. It's a product that is bought and owned a single time, which can be run offline. While "games as a service" is characterized by things like microtransactions, subscription fees and frequent content updates, the only thing that actually defines a live service game is that it depends on a central server that the company can destroy at any time they want, and you can't ever truly own your product. That is fucking evil, to be clear, and it belongs nowhere near Sonic the hedgehog. Dream Team is already pushing it, though my understanding is that you can theoretically pirate that game and run it offline.

That Superstars is a bit lacking in content for its price has nothing to do with any of this. All they have to do is put more stuff in it (and fix the bosses).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Look. I'm just saying, let's not say or do anything that would keep them from putting Valentine Rouge in the game

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Superstars as a live service game is a terrible idea. Keep that shit to mobile phone titles and PC exclusives, please.

5. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    And honestly, even there it should be rolled back some. For all the shit we give Sonic, I'm glad the only live service crap the series has done has been in its mobile spinoffs. The moment they try to do that for a main game is truly rock bottom.

6. GoldeMan

GoldeMan

Texas
    Gave me flashbacks to when Sonic Runners was a thing, can't imagine what weird state Sonic Team would be in if they were split doing that still over focusing on the console games.

7. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I have no opinions on the current conversation positive or negative but everyone who worked on Runners was SEGA staff who usually don't work on Sonic games. I remember people here looked into their credits at the time and realized the people we traditionally associate with Sonic Team had very little to do with the game.

So that team would probably still be working on Runners if they hadn't ruined it.

8. Yeah. Even then we know while other teams worked on the side projects (like Hardlight now with the mobile stuff) over time, Sega has still constantly had multiple parts of Sonic team working on different Sonic Projects. Was there ever confirmation that stopped?

9. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    It has never been more over

[​IMG]
    With "7" new titles joining the list and several older titles rising up thanks to big content updates, Superstars has been knocked out of the top 20. SEGA's gaming division has had a rough couple of quarters. A majority of their new titles underperformed including Superstars. It's not all bad news for them though, as Persona 3 and Like a Dragon both topped the charts, with P3 selling 1 million units in its first week world wide. This is the fastest selling game for Atlus in its history so good news for SEGA and Atlus.

So far SEGA has been quiet about any real post launch support for Superstars. They pretty much blew their load at launch and had that stupid Kroger rewards program. With the switch to 3D models, their heavy amount of alt content at launch and the "Superstars" gimmick, I was expecting them to pump out a bunch of skins or alternative characters. Maybe we'll see pajamas Eggman as an Amazon Luna exclusive. Who knows. They aren't telling.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
  10. Kilo

Kilo

That inbetween sprite from S&K's title screen Member
    Canada
    Superstars will probably have a comeback when Sonic movie 3 comes out. Or not, Shadow Generations is their holiday Sonic game evidently and is a pseudo tie in. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they do what they have been with the past 2 classic games and do a Plus release to put it back on shelves sometime this year or next too. So there's definitely time for it to get back up in sales, maybe another price drop would help with that too.

11. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    My gut tells me they're going to do Plus DLC. Happened with the last two Classic Sonic releases, wouldn't be surprised if they do the same with Superstars.

12. MH MD

MH MD

Superstars actually appearing on top 20 for 2 months-or 3?- is unusual for sonic games and is considered very good, only other sonic game that achieved something similar was Sonic Frontiers.
    Like we know Persona 3 and Yakuza 8 are successful but they will disappear within 2 months too, it’s nothing to worry about or draw conclusions from.

13. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Tell that to the other guy. I just like sharing data.

I'm still confident that it cleared a million in its launch window and it's sitting a little below 2 million. SEGA billed it as some high quality title, but the actual production values and the developer behind it tell a different story. If they're disappointed in its performance, that's entirely on them for over forecasting and for under producing.

The game did well enough for its caliber. The fact that it was in the top 20 from October to January showed it had a decent legs, but new games are out now. It wasn't going to coast up there of name brand forever.

For reference, Sonic Frontiers stayed in the top 20 until it got knocked out in May thanks to some shameless Frontiers knock off about some guy with a sword.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
  14. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

I finally bought a gaming laptop. This game is starting to get some good game improving mods on pc which is why I removed it from my PS5. If you want the best gameplay possible, you need the camera mod, spindash framerate fix, custom Knuckles glide speed (set glide acceleration to 3.5), and there’s also a Classic Sonic mod that makes him look more like Genesis Sonic. This is how I play Superstars.

Edit: Acceleration to 3.5

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
  15. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Is there one that fixes the badnik bouncing yet? Or any boss related ones?

16. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

Not yet. I’m sure it will come with time. Unity makes it harder for mods to come out faster. I guess because everyone is so familiar with the hedgehog and retro engines, so it will take at least a year for us to see mods like that.

17. Kilo

Kilo

That inbetween sprite from S&K's title screen Member
    Canada
    Quite the contrary. Unity makes Superstars a gold mine for mod potential since it's such a well known engine.

18. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

That looks better than the actual Sonic Rush game. He’s the only person doing that with Superstars at the moment. He said he is very familiar with the engine. It’s also still in progress. Maybe he can do a proper Shadow mod too.

19. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    I'm waiting for the online multiplayer mod for the campaign mode so we can have a dedicated screen.
    a-skeleton-covered-in-dust-and-cobwebs-infront-of-a-computer-v0-bamt12m1e0za1.png

20. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Unfortunately nobody really seems interested in modding the game. All I've seen are skins, a few code edits mostly made by the same person, and this. Level mods would go so hard in this game.